British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Sep 16th 2016 1:50 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

The UK is short of an estmated 2 million housing units as a result of half a century of poor or non existent government housing policies.
The blessed Maggie poured petrol on the problem by selling off council houses and not allowing councils to use the revenue to build more.
No EU , no migrant involvement in that decision.
Anyone who thinks that EU membership was the cause or that brexit is the solution is living in la la land.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053989)
Lack of interest on the part of us and our government in doing anything about it.

Nobody really ****ing cares. If they did, it wouldn't be that way. We pour trillions of pounds into some things, and little or nothing into others. That's a choice. Even if, mysteriously, leaving the EU caused the coffers of the British government to fill to bursting, why should they suddenly start spending it on people they have been ignoring for decades?

In the New Forest, there are camps of people ages about 16 - 25. Young people. The charity I work for provides housing, as much as it can. Nothing beats seeing a young man seizing in the front office from taking "legal highs". No functional schooling, nowhere to live, no job, and no hope. You mean that the EU or migrant workers somehow caused that? Rubbish.

It is you who are talking rubbish, putting words into my mouth I have not said. I am talking about those working in poverty and you are talking about those with social problems, two entirely different issues with which I fail to see the connection with Brexit.

What do homeless with social problems in the New Forest have to do with Brexit? What have they to do with Leave voters? What have they to do with ****ing Farage? What have they to do with this thread?

Red Eric Sep 16th 2016 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053966)
The people who voted out are only concerned for themselves, not those who told them a pack of lies mingled with threats.

D'you hear that Lievers?

mfesharne, paulry, Dick Dasterdly, Fredbargate, Vexcore, Azitwaz, Digital Ghost, la mancha etc etc - You're all concerned only for yourselves.

SultanOfSwing Sep 16th 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12054005)
What do homeless with social problems in the New Forest have to do with Brexit? What have they to do with Leave voters? What have they to do with ****ing Farage? What have they to do with this thread?

They have everything to do with this thread. They are British citizens who are victims of the system. A system that had nothing to do with the EU and won't be fixed after Brexit. They will all still be homeless and without help after Brexit and arguably worse off if there do turn out to be negative financial and economic consequences of Brexit.

The question is (and nobody says you are saying this personally), is it OK for British citizens to continue to suffer in this way just so that the UK can leave the EU? I thought Brexit was all about Britain looking after their own.

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12054005)
It is you who are talking rubbish, putting words into my mouth I have not said. I am talking about those working in poverty and you are talking about those with social problems, two entirely different issues with which I fail to see the connection with Brexit.

We've left reality again. You want to make the connection with Brexit and the EU, not I.

And of course social and economic problems are linked.:confused:

And if you read the post, you will see where Farage came in.

SultanOfSwing Sep 16th 2016 1:57 pm

Aaaaaand, I said Brexit so many times in the above post, I would now like someone to shoot me in the face.

Quick trip to the South Side is in order, I think ...

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12054011)
Aaaaaand, I said Brexit so many times in the above post, I would now like someone to shoot me in the face.

Quick trip to the South Side is in order, I think ...

I'll join you.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12054007)
D'you hear that Lievers?

mfesharne, paulry, Dick Dasterdly, Fredbargate, Vexcore, Azitwaz, Digital Ghost, la mancha etc etc - You're all concerned only for yourselves.

I thought you had more credibility than this, nit-picking a piece of a post to make a point that is not there.

‘Yes, people may lose out in.the short-term with Brexit but they are willing to go through this for the good of the future of their country. A brighter future gives them hope for their lot in their now miserable lives rather than listening to the whine of the rich about how Brexit will affect everyone, meaning them personally.’

You missed out that part.

jimenato Sep 16th 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053981)
Yes, for themselves. So did those working in poverty.

Why is it arrogant to think people who voted out are only concerned for themselves? My information is what I have learned from talking to people pre- and post-referendum.

As for no evidence to suggest that leaving the EU will better the lot of the poor, it cannot make life worse for them because they have nothing. Don’t you understand the word ‘nothing’? No, it is not under our control, something which has been discussed so many times previous on here and across the country pre-referendum.

I don't believe that 'many' people who voted for Brexit have nothing. But then I know the meaning of 'nothing'.

Red Eric Sep 16th 2016 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053966)
People who voted out did so for a better future.

The recent past would suggest to me that they'll be very, very lucky indeed to be seeing that under the current UK government. I thought the coalition was dreadful and the Conservatives who took office in 2015 even worse but really, this current shower fill me with even more dread, if that were possible. Even one of the UKIP movers and shakers has just defected, claiming that the mainstays of UKIP policy have now been adopted by the Tories.

The only thing you've got to pin your hopes on is that slowing the flow of immigrants will prove to be the panacea for low wages and everything else you've complained about. And I seriously doubt that. However, one thing I don't doubt one little bit is that under this government more people will find themselves struggling to cope. And no, I don't have a crystal ball. I just know what ultra-Conservative governments are like. Unfortunately I still remember you-know-who.

amideislas Sep 16th 2016 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053977)
When one has nothing one has nothing more to lose so anything else is better. If you have never been in that position then you would not know what I am talking about. Many of those who voted out do know. The better future is hope, something they do not have at the moment.

Well, the fundamentals aren't optimistic. A large part of the British economy is dependent upon its EU membership. The UK is hardly an export economy...

Outside the UK, there's precious few who believe brexit will result in anything positive for Britain, in the short- or long-term. In contrast, by orders of magnitude, the beliefs that brexit will somehow result in a "better future" are all but solely British, and amongst voters who voted leave, it's apparently largely those who rely on sensationalist tabloid media for their view of the world. The sun and daily mail are the dominantly read news sources in Britain. Express comes in about 7th.

But the real irony is that the UK voted to leave largely on the basis of perceptions of existent or nonexistent "issues" most of which have absolutely nothing to do with the EU at all. Most of the public's anger is the result of decades of domestic policy, completely unrelated to Britain's EU membership.

Brexit itself isn't going to "solve" those (existent or nonexistent) issues which drove the referendum result, nor contribute to anything resembling a "better future".

The most optimistic case is that everything pretty much stays the same (although the fundamental facts don't support anything that optimistic).

So again, what is the upside, exactly?

mikelincs Sep 16th 2016 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12054014)
I thought you had more credibility than this, nit-picking a piece of a post to make a point that is not there.

‘Yes, people may lose out in.the short-term with Brexit but they are willing to go through this for the good of the future of their country. A brighter future gives them hope for their lot in their now miserable lives rather than listening to the whine of the rich about how Brexit will affect everyone, meaning them personally.’

You missed out that part.

What everyone needs to do 'Calm Down' wait for a couple of years after the UK has, indeed, left the EU, and then revisit all the claims and counter claims that are currently being made, only then will people really know what the effect leaving the EU will have on Britain.

Red Eric Sep 16th 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053832)
I'd have thought that's quite obvious but as it's not; Merkel appears to be rapidly losing popularity which may well mean a change & possibly a radical change of Government in Germany which in turn may well affect the Brexit negotiations.......... and will possibly/probably even increase the chances of a Dexit referendum & if that happens & their referendum votes out, the shit really will hit the EU fan which in turn will also further affect the Brexit negotiations.

Dexit?? What's brought that on - I thought the exits had to be compiled with the 1st 3 letters of the country name followed by "xit". "Grexit", "Brexit", "Czexit" etc.

What's wrong with "Gerxit"? :lol: or is there a bit of prudish censorship afoot? And if "Gerxit"s off the menu, I suppose "Porxit" :eek: is completely out of the question.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12054009)
They have everything to do with this thread. They are British citizens who are victims of the system. A system that had nothing to do with the EU and won't be fixed after Brexit. They will all still be homeless and without help after Brexit and arguably worse off if there do turn out to be negative financial and economic consequences of Brexit.

The question is (and nobody says you are saying this personally), is it OK for British citizens to continue to suffer in this way just so that the UK can leave the EU? I thought Brexit was all about Britain looking after their own.

Hold on here, are we discussing the homeless with social problems in the New Forest or homelessness in general throughout the UK, because you lot seem to be moving the goalposts?

Tell me.

I still don’t see what those with social problems and homeless in the New Forest has to do with this thread. This problem was never on the agenda.

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12054022)
Dexit?? What's brought that on - I thought the exits had to be compiled with the 1st 3 letters of the country name followed by "xit". "Grexit", "Brexit", "Czexit" etc.

What's wrong with "Gerxit"? :lol: or is there a bit of prudish censorship afoot? And if "Gerxit"s off the menu, I suppose "Porxit" :eek: is completely out of the question.

Spanxit?