British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Sep 15th 2016 8:01 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12053452)
At least you know that paint will dry , but like everyone who voted, leave or remain you have no clue what form brexit will finally take.

Hey, you used the ‘V’ word. Go on, Jimenato, your call: have a go!

EMR Sep 15th 2016 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053456)

Hey, you used the ‘V’ word. Go on, Jimenato, your call: have a go!

But I did not use " brexit means brexit " because there is not one of the 65million plus who lives in the UK has any idea what that means..
Those extreme brexiters who do not live in the UK are even more clueless..

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12053459)
But I did not use " brexit means brexit " because there is not one of the 65million plus who lives in the UK has any idea what that means..
Those extreme brexiters who do not live in the UK are even more clueless..

I think it's quite self explanatory.

"Brexit means Brexit" means Brexit means Brexit. I mean, come on ...

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12053452)
At least you know that paint will dry , but like everyone who voted, leave or remain you have no clue what form brexit will finally take.

Quite right. So let's hope for a reasonable agreement & I reckon that'll happen especially as it's in everyone's interests........ But I think things such as fishery limits might be difficult to resolve.

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053465)
But I think things such as fishery limits might be difficult to resolve.

Actually, that's probably quite simple to resolve.

UK fishing trawlers to stay inside the UK's 200-mile Economic Exclusion Zone except where this is within another country's EEZ, in which case both countries shall consider the midway point between the countries as the boundary.

All other nationality fishing vessels to remain outside the EEZ. Though the RN will need additional resources to patrol the waters.

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12053500)
Actually, that's probably quite simple to resolve.

UK fishing trawlers to stay inside the UK's 200-mile Economic Exclusion Zone except where this is within another country's EEZ, in which case both countries shall consider the midway point between the countries as the boundary.

All other nationality fishing vessels to remain outside the EEZ. Though the RN will need additional resources to patrol the waters.

That's the logical answer for sure but I'll bet some other countries will:

A) Not agree
&
B) Not comply

I reckon it'll be a bone of contention for years to come. :(

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053526)
That's the logical answer for sure but I'll bet some other countries will:

A) Not agree
&
B) Not comply

I reckon it'll be a bone of contention for years to come. :(

It's actually an international law of the sea.

A) isnt going to be an issue at all. There's nothing to agree to.

B) is no different than the Spanish fishing fleets did in the 80's. But the technology to catch them is much better these days.

Fredbargate Sep 15th 2016 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042676)
My own guess is that the EU will change dramatically after Brexit whether Junkers & the others like it or not....... And I'd further guess they'll be other countries exiting the EU in the next few years as well.

Well today is Battle of Britain Day when we celebrate shooting Junkers down

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12053534)
It's actually an international law of the sea.

A) isnt going to be an issue at all. There's nothing to agree to.

B) is no different than the Spanish fishing fleets did in the 80's. But the technology to catch them is much better these days.

Yup..... it is indeed but I still reckon it'll be an ongoing bone of contention but I guess time will tell. :(

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12053544)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Former Lancastrian Sep 15th 2016 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12053196)
Why not have a federation of North and South American countries. That would be more similar to the EU.

Thats crazy talk :lol: Would that come with the freedom of movement? If it did then the vast majority would be moving north to the USA and Canada with very few moving south to exotic countries like El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Venezuela and Suriname. Freedom of movement would be blocked by the USA in a heartbeat.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053403)
They do: they voted out.

Their willingness to sacrifice for the country knows no bounds, and I'm sure that will be of great consolation to the homeless.

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12053548)
Thats crazy talk :lol: Would that come with the freedom of movement? If it did then the vast majority would be moving north to the USA and Canada with very few moving south to exotic countries like El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Venezuela and Suriname. Freedom of movement would be blocked by the USA in a heartbeat.

I'm sure it would. The US is already a federal state, it already has freedom of movement. It wasn't always that way though. There was a time when many US states felt they were "sovereign" and didn't want to be part of a "federal republic". They had a war over it. Texas still harbours those sentiments to some extent. But now it's the most powerful nation on earth.

Britain isn't the USA. It also doesn't want to be part of anything else. Britain already had that option (opt out from all " closer unity" exercises) but it voted out anyway. So be it.

Nonetheless, Britain should also not expect to be outside, yet trade as if it's inside. Britain is just Britain now. Leave won. Suck it up.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 15th 2016 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12053544)

:thumbsup:

Judging by her response to the crap he's churned out lately I get the impression that Merkel would enjoy doing the honours and happily put the drunken baffoon out of his misery.

On the other hand having caused chaos and widespread consternation in her own country it's looking quite likely that she will be shot down first by her own electorate.

:cool:

EMR Sep 15th 2016 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053547)
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Proof if needed that some brexiters live in the past .