British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Sep 15th 2016 4:43 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12053222)
And Britain has been the main opposition. Despite it having been Britain's idea in the first place.

But with Britain's despise for Europe out of the way, maybe some progress can finally be made.

What was Britain's idea in the first place??
("Europe" is a continent it is not the EU.)

Bipat Sep 15th 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053227)
I'm not presenting a paper here, just expressing thoughts as are you. It's OK if you think I'm wrong, this isn't an objective viewpoint.

it may end up that EU citizens still appear to outnumber non-EU citizens. Then it will have been something of a waste of time.
Essentially though, there will be no net change here. Whoever gets in gets in, and

Yes, they are willing now. Post-Brexit, will the conditions still be favourable for them? We don't know and won't until then. That could be a few years yet, so this one's on hold for now as well.

Obviously, those countries are ones who have something to sell. Or are countries around the world going to set up their call centres in the UK now instead of India or Mexico?

"'Ello, guv, it's Gav 'ere, 'ah can oi 'elp you tahday". Oh that'll be lovely :whistle:

That's as may be. I don't actively push for Federation but I guess if I'm being honest, I don't have that much of a problem with it.

My whole reason for supporting remain (and it's still OK to believe that the UK should remain in the EU, even if it is going to leave, so whoever is going to start that broken record again can save their time) was that I didn't think it was worth potentially risking the future of the UK economically, or however else, on intangibles that nobody can give a clear picture of, for a movement with no clear goal other than 'getting these unelected bureaucrats off our back' (who will then just end up being replaced by elected bureaucrats anyway). But **** me for having a mind of my own, I suppose.

It doesn't matter if any group of immigrants outnumber the other if the process of admission is fair and according to the needs of the UK.

The negotiations with other countries are going on NOW with the knowledge that nothing can be certain until Brexit actually happens--then agreements can quickly take place,

The call centres in India were variable according to the status and education of the particular people employed. Some were excellent others less so.

Look up the links put, of trade already taking place before you are so dismissive.

So you wouldn't have a problem with a federation of North America?

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12053280)
It doesn't matter if any group of immigrants outnumber the other if the process of admission is fair and according to the needs of the UK.

Technically, it is still fair now. EU migrants are only allowed to come in now because there is an agreement in place that allows UK citizens (as themselves EU migrants) to do the same in the 27 other member states. Again, the UK has a veto and voting power, it had a say in how things are.

The negotiations with other countries are going on NOW with the knowledge that nothing can be certain until Brexit actually happens--then agreements can quickly take place,

The trade will be what it will be, I know that. Nobody knows the future though, and Brexit or no Brexit, the global economy is ever changing anyway.

The call centres in India were variable according to the status and education of the particular people employed. Some were excellent others less so.

I wasn't having a go at Indian call centres, I've been transferred to plenty of them, they're fine. I was taking the piss out of a theoretical British call centre with some chav answering the phone.

Look up the links put, of trade already taking place before you are so dismissive.

Trade isn't an issue for me, I wasn't dismissing it, just highlighting the uncertainty. I know things will be worked out, deals will be made and all the rest. But again, the real effect of Brexit on the British economy won't be known for probably years. No sense putting the cart before the horse, for any potential trading partner.

So you wouldn't have a problem with a federation of North America?

Honestly, I don't know. I have never once given it any thought. Free movement between the US and Canada would be nice, though but that's me being selfish.

EMR Sep 15th 2016 5:37 pm

Now that Hinkley point has been given the go ahead with minority financing by the UK how is the looney fringe of the brexit campaign going to react to the thousands of migrant workers who will be needed to build it..
How many those who voted brexit in the deprived areas of the UK are prepared to move to Somerset and live in the construction camps for the duration of the project .
The biggest construction project in europe will have a minor UK involvement at almost every level apart from paying double the current rates for energy.

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 5:49 pm

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...ps4fs5xjxr.jpg

Hey guys: Not so breaking news. It's over & the decision made. Accept it with or without good grace.......... but FFS, accept it!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...pse21ca2a2.gif

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053319)

Hey guys: Not so breaking news. It's over & the decision made. Accept it with or without good grace.......... but FFS, accept it!

You were being perfectly reasonable yesterday. Why do you have to go and ruin it with stupid shit like that?

EMR Sep 15th 2016 5:54 pm

You and your fellow brexiteers are the only ones who keep going on and on and on about the vote.
When will it finally sink in that the vote did not result in brexit that is yet to happen.
I suspect that you will never accept the final form of brexit and still be going on and on and on about the vote and that it was not what you and otners voted for.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 5:54 pm

Yes, Leave WON.

We established that on June 23.

The rest of us are now talking about what that might mean. Move on please.

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053324)
You were being perfectly reasonable yesterday. Why do you have to go and ruin it with stupid shit like that?

So, you're not big on sense of humour or appreciate a bit of a leg pull then? ;)

Joking aside, I'm sure that even you will appreciate that the thread seems to have reverted (yet again) back to pointless complaints about the decision to Brexit rather than the more sensible discussions about negotiations & what might happen after Brexit?

Hell, the country finds itself at the biggest crossroads for decades & possibly centuries where not only do we have the massive Brexit change but also have the current official opposition looking to split in two & possibly even a completely new official opposition being established. - Added to which we have Sconny Botland going all ways with the Scottish Labour faction rapidly going tits up, Sturgeon being kacked out left, right & centre & the Yanks having two options that couldn't be more different.

All of those things could affect the UK, especially with the looming Brexit challenges.

All that going on & what get's discussed here? Nothing more than the same sad sack 'woe is me' bollocks that we've had for endless pages. :(

la mancha Sep 15th 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053129)
Agreed.

And it's an attitude that usually comes from people who have made no sacrifice whatsoever for country or principles. I have no time for it. If they want to improve the country why don't they go and help the camps of people sleeping rough in the New Forest that I saw? I bet ****ing Farage has never lifted a finger in that regard.

What has ****ing Farage got to do with people sleeping rough in the New Forest? Why not ****ing Cameron or ****ing Blair or ****ing anyone else in government? What have those sleeping rough in the New Forest got to do with Brexit?

People did not vote out to improve the country. They voted out to improve their lot in life.

la mancha Sep 15th 2016 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053112)
Right. An awful lot of faffing about, an increase in divisive, nationalistic sentiment, quite likely a bucketload of money and as yet unknown implications for the economy and all for what? Not much of a tangible change by the looks of it.

This whole isolationist sentiment though gets me. What kinds of countries like to isolate themselves from the rest of the world anyway? Surely not ones like North Korea, right?

Do you occupy an alternative reality or something? Your posts are starting to read like a series of Daily Express articles.

Nationalism is not what Brexit is about. Neither is isolationism. Patriotism has nothing to do with Brexit, either. You do not understand why people voted the way they did.

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053337)
So, you're not big on sense of humour or appreciate a bit of a leg pull then? ;)

Not at all. When it's actually funny ...

Joking aside, I'm sure that even you will appreciate that the thread seems to have reverted (yet again) back to pointless complaints about the decision to Brexit rather than the more sensible discussions about negotiations & what might happen after Brexit?

It's not pointless. The aftermath of Brexit has to be a situation that is favourable for both those who voted for it and those who didn't. Understanding the perspective of those who are opposed to the decision is essential for the government when it is time to invoke Article 50.

You could argue it's equally pointless to discuss the what-ifs of post-Brexit Britain because in reality, we could all still be sitting here waiting to find out what that will be in five years.

Hell, the country finds itself at the biggest crossroads for decades & possibly centuries where not only do we have the massive Brexit change but also have the current official opposition looking to split in two & possibly even a completely new official opposition being established. - Added to which we have Sconny Botland going all ways with the Scottish Labour faction rapidly going tits up, Sturgeon being kacked out left, right & centre & the Yanks having two options that couldn't be more different.

All of those things could affect the UK, especially with the looming Brexit challenges.

All that going on & what get's discussed here? Nothing more than the same sad sack 'woe is me' bollocks that we've had for endless pages. :(

Brexit might end up being a massive change, or it might not. We will have to wait and see. As we are in the ante-Brexit phase right now, I think that all matters, both direct and peripheral, are up for discussion.

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053343)
Nationalism is not what Brexit is about. Neither is isolationism. Patriotism has nothing to do with Brexit, either.

Maybe, maybe not but nationalism and isolationism have no real place in the world anymore.

Unchecked, jingoistic patriotism is stupid as well. You are from where you're from because of an accident of birth, due to the nationality and/or location of the crotch you fell out of. Acting like you owe some strip of land anything is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053343)
You do not understand why people voted the way they did.

No, I don't. Same way I can't understand why people can eat bananas, but they do.

I'll wager a great many people who voted leave can't really adequately explain why they did either.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053341)
What has ****ing Farage got to do with people sleeping rough in the New Forest? Why not ****ing Cameron or ****ing Blair or ****ing anyone else in government? What have those sleeping rough in the New Forest got to do with Brexit?

People did not vote out to improve the country. They voted out to improve their lot in life.

I was suggesting that the country might have been better served by addressing those problems.

I was further suggesting that those who wrap themselves in the flag might consider instead doing something to actually help the British people.

I loathe hypocrisy.

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053355)
Not at all. When it's actually funny ...

It's not pointless. The aftermath of Brexit has to be a situation that is favourable for both those who voted for it and those who didn't. Understanding the perspective of those who are opposed to the decision is essential for the government when it is time to invoke Article 50.

You could argue it's equally pointless to discuss the what-ifs of post-Brexit Britain because in reality, we could all still be sitting here waiting to find out what that will be in five years.

Brexit might end up being a massive change, or it might not. We will have to wait and see. As we are in the ante-Brexit phase right now, I think that all matters, both direct and peripheral, are up for discussion.

I'm all for discussing the important aspects of Brexit & post Brexit but f you care to review the posts more or less immediately above (what I consider) my rather witty meme, you'll see most had reverted to the same silly complaints & petty insults we've had for the last 3.5K posts......... and there's no point in those. - If nothing else, it's all been said several times before.

Surely it's better to accept the situation & instead discuss the really important issues?