British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 12:43 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

This is a pretty good editorial piece about why a federal Europe will emerge from pure necessity. Also refers to the similar struggles America had in the early days.

European federalism is not dead yet | ft.com

One conclusion of the Greek crisis seems clear: the dream of moving harmoniously towards a federal Europe is dead. The rancour incited by the crisis has pitted nation against nation and revived some of the continent’s worst stereotypes. Rather than hastening Europe’s historic integration, the introduction of the euro may have only led to its slow-motion disintegration.

But history rarely advances in straight lines, and it may be premature to write the obituary of European federalism just yet. If it is to happen at all, further integration will be driven by brutal economic necessity. Fuzzy federalist talk of spreading solidarity has proved little more than hollow words; financial logic remains a more insistent force.

That is certainly one interpretation of Alexis Tsipras’s decision to accede to the creditors’ main demands. In spite of calling a referendum to reject the creditors’ deal, Greece’s prime minister concluded that leaving the eurozone would be more painful than remaining in it. Having peered through the gates of Hell, he realised the attractions of Purgatory. Regardless of the political cost, Greece could not abandon its European destiny.

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12052969)
I see your Great Leader in one of his more sober moments has chosen a notorious Brit Hater to lead the so called negotiations.

Eh up! It's started......

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053027)
Brexit: No substantive talks for 12 months, Herman Van Rompuy predicts - BBC News

Goal posts seem to be moving further away by the minute.

That's going to be a very tough one to swallow for those who seem to think "Not before the end of this year" is equivalent to "at the very beginning of next year" ;)

mikelincs Sep 15th 2016 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12053097)
That's going to be a very tough one to swallow for those who seem to think "Not before the end of this year" is equivalent to "at the very beginning of next year" ;)

Why not have a referendum on when to trigger Article 50..:rofl:

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 1:49 pm

How about a BE sweepstake on that?

And another on when the talks end and the Brexit is deemed complete?

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12053106)
Why not have a referendum on when to trigger Article 50..:rofl:

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12053108)
How about a BE sweepstake on that?

And another on when the talks end and the Brexit is deemed complete?

I like the first one, but I can't wait long enough for the cash to go for the second part of that.

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052728)
I think that's been the irony all along, and what keeps it entertaining now. If you remember, leading up to the referendum, in addition to the now infamous fabrications, they all talked about how great it will be. The term "flourish" was used often. In light of what we know now, that's toned down quite a bit, the more optimistic rhetoric sounding more like "it will be almost as good as before".

Considering how astronomically expensive this will be, it does beg the question; what was the point?

We all know the answer, though; Vote count.

Right. An awful lot of faffing about, an increase in divisive, nationalistic sentiment, quite likely a bucketload of money and as yet unknown implications for the economy and all for what? Not much of a tangible change by the looks of it.

This whole isolationist sentiment though gets me. What kinds of countries like to isolate themselves from the rest of the world anyway? Surely not ones like North Korea, right?

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052821)
They should but I'll bet they won't........ Praps what they really need is some grief counselling to help them get over themselves? :lol:

Either that or a good kick up the arse to teach 'em their rights are no more important and any other burgers! ;)

Do you occupy an alternative reality or something? Your posts are starting to read like a series of Daily Express articles.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053112)
Right. An awful lot of faffing about, an increase in divisive, nationalistic sentiment, quite likely a bucketload of money and as yet unknown implications for the economy and all for what? Not much of a tangible change by the looks of it.

Blue passports? :scarper:

This whole isolationist sentiment though gets me. What kinds of countries like to isolate themselves from the rest of the world anyway? Surely not ones like North Korea, right?

Yeah, that's part of the nastiness and cheapness of it. Turning away from being a progressive, forward-looking country that collaborates with other countries to an angry little, inward-looking, small-minded island. Not my idea of patriotism.

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053115)
Blue passports? :scarper:

I doubt they'd go back to blue anyway. Blue is Scotland's color, remember. They'll end up with a St George's Cross and a picture of a V-sign replacing the crest, probably :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053115)
Yeah, that's part of the nastiness and cheapness of it. Turning away from being a progressive, forward-looking country that collaborates with other countries to an angry little, inward-looking, small-minded island. Not my idea of patriotism.

Cheapness - that's a good word for it.

As I said before, Europe is one continent that should have learned from it's previous escapades with rampant, unchecked nationalism but apparently I am wrong.

'Patriotism' is a loaded word, too. Being proud of where you are from, its achievements and people is all well and good, but the 'we're the best at all costs, **** the rest of the world and my country right or wrong' attitude stinks. Especially when it comes from people who have had the privilege of being well traveled. That's such a waste, to me.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053125)

'Patriotism' is a loaded word, too. Being proud of where you are from, its achievements and people is all well and good, but the 'we're the best at all costs, **** the rest of the world and my country right or wrong' attitude stinks. Especially when it comes from people who have had the privilege of being well traveled. That's such a waste, to me.

Agreed.

And it's an attitude that usually comes from people who have made no sacrifice whatsoever for country or principles. I have no time for it. If they want to improve the country why don't they go and help the camps of people sleeping rough in the New Forest that I saw? I bet ****ing Farage has never lifted a finger in that regard.

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053129)
Agreed.

And it's an attitude that usually comes from people who have made no sacrifice whatsoever for country or principles. I have no time for it. If they want to improve the country why don't they go and help the camps of people sleeping rough in the New Forest that I saw? I bet ****ing Farage has never lifted a finger in that regard.

Don't be silly. True Patriotism™ isn't about helping your own citizens, it's about showing the rest of the world you a genuine edgey MoFo who blazes your own trail and doesn't need them in their way.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053131)
Don't be silly. True Patriotism™ isn't about helping your own citizens, it's about showing the rest of the world you a genuine edgey MoFo who blazes your own trail and doesn't need them in their way.

Oh.

Right.

And down with this sort of thing, too, I imagine.

http://funnypicturesplus.com/wp-cont...arah-funny.jpg

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053136)
Oh.

Right.

And down with this sort of thing, too, I imagine.

http://funnypicturesplus.com/wp-cont...arah-funny.jpg

Careful, now ...

Must be weird for Mo though. Arguably one of the best British athletes of our time and rightly lauded as such, but juxtaposed with such a vitriolic anti-immigrant sentiment from the great unwashed.

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 2:42 pm

Both of you have just restored my faith in humans. All is not lost, despite all evidence to the contrary.

:thumbsup:

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12053156)
Both of you have just restored my faith in humans. All is not lost, despite all evidence to the contrary.

:thumbsup:

We carry a heavy load - the right and privilege of the British to take the piss, despite all odds and in the face of the self-importance of Little England.