British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

GeniB Sep 15th 2016 6:02 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12052706)
Another point regarding the VWP, touched on above, is that effectively in return for the visa requirement being waived, the traveler waives their right to appeal, and entry is granted entirely at the discretion of immigration control. If there is any suspicion of intent to overstay, or work, or in any other way abuse the system, entry will be denied, and further reentry may as a result require a B2 tourist visa, the VWP in that case being unavailable to the traveler.

So, if this kind of a program was to be implemented in the UK post-Brexit, as far as tourism or certain business allowances, no visa requirement does not mean automatic entry.

YEP Just went through all that whilst crossing from the USA into Canada last week. Gave us a small taste of what it's like to be an 'alien' again (used to have all that in NL before shengen) Such a joy to sit in the equivalent of a disused aircraft hanger for over an hour, with about 8 policemen drinking coffee,(one doing his nails.) whilst studiously ignoring you .Especially at 10pm at night after a veeeey long day. Get used to it Britain.. this is your future

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 6:07 am

If all the things you guys wish for were to actually happen, you can be absolutely confident this world will be in serious trouble. Let's review:

1. UK leaves the EU
No sense in thrashing over this again, but even Ms. May admits it will 'damage the UK economy'. To what extent remains to be seen, but out of necessity, she's certainly offering the most optimistic characterisation of it.

2. Collapse of EU
This isn't quite as imminent as Brexit, but there is a risk. If this happens, it will plunge the entire world into an economic calamity that will far surpass the 2008 economic crisis.

Not to mention, that when people get hungry, they get angry, and desperate. And start blaming their neighbours. The possibility of mass riots and even wars breaking out become far more likely.

3. Trump wins US elections.
This is a guy who holds favouritism for a certain tyrant to our east, who's had his eyes on reviving the Soviet empire for decades. The only thing stopping him so far from all-out land-grab is the US and NATO. Think of a scenario where Europe is in chaos, NATO is in tatters and the US becomes a proxy ally of Putin. You can pretty much expect Russia to take over much of eastern Europe, if not more...

Now, this is all just speculation (and still far from imminent), but you really should be careful what you wish for. And encouraging others to follow suit isn't a particularly rational course of action.

Be careful what you wish for.

mikelincs Sep 15th 2016 6:12 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052757)
If all the things you guys wish for were to actually happen, you can be absolutely confident this world will be in serious trouble. Let's review:

1. UK leaves the EU
No sense in thrashing over this again, but even Ms. May admits it will 'damage the UK economy'. To what extent remains to be seen, but out of necessity, she's certainly offering the most optimistic characterisation of it.

2. Collapse of EU
This isn't quite as imminent as Brexit, but there is a risk. If this happens, it will plunge the entire world into an economic calamity that will far surpass the 2008 economic crisis.

Not to mention, that when people get hungry, they get angry, and desperate. And start blaming their neighbours. The possibility of wars breaking out become far more likely.

3. Trump wins US elections.
This is a guy who holds favouritism for a certain tyrant to our east, who's had his eyes on reviving the Soviet empire for decades. The only thing stopping him so far from all-out land-grab is the US and NATO. Think of a scenario where Europe is in chaos, NATO is in tatters and the US becomes a proxy ally of Putin. You can pretty much expect Russia to take over much of eastern Europe, if not more...

Now, this is all just speculation (and still far from imminent), but you really should be careful what you wish for. And encouraging others isn't a particularly rational course of action.

Be careful what you wish for.

:goodpost:

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12052557)
Holy crap I left for work just after 6am my time this morning and we were on page 219 :lol:
I did come across a post regarding visas and the USA so Im here to set the record straight.

UK citizens do not require a visa to enter the USA on short tourism stays and this is taken from the official USCBP website

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP), administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in consultation with the State Department, permits citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa. In return, those 38 countries must permit U.S. citizens and nationals to travel to their countries for a similar length of time without a visa for business or tourism purposes.

Now those from the 38 VWP countries require an ESTA which is described as follows from the same source

ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Authorization via ESTA does not determine whether a traveler is admissible to the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers determine admissibility upon travelers’ arrival.

ESTA is basically the same as what Australia and now Canada requires from visa exempt countries in their eTA requirements.

In certain situations if going through pre clearance airports the Customs officers working at that airport outside of their own country can deny you flying to that country which I regularly see USCBP doing from airports within Canada.

Now carry on boys and girls.

The official links if nobody believes me
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...waiver-program
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

So mfesharne is just plain wrong, then, when he continues to insist that ESTA involves a security check?

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052792)
So mfesharne is just plain wrong, then, when he continues to insist that ESTA involves a security check?

Note I deliberately didn't refer to the name of the visa that isn't a visa that the Yanks use but whatever it's called, it does very obviously entail a security check.

Check the links I provided that showed the Muslim family were refused travel because one of the addresses they provided had previously been linked to a terrorist website!

But you're (probably deliberately) missing the point I was trying to make which is an independent UK can introduce whatever visa system they wish........ There's nothing in the rules that says they have to copy a system from another country.

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 7:28 am

Here's another link to the same story in case you 'forgot' the details:

Muslim ban: British family banned from flying to the US | UK | News | Daily Express

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 7:43 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052796)
But you're (probably deliberately) missing the point I was trying to make which is an independent UK can introduce whatever visa system they wish........ There's nothing in the rules that says they have to copy a system from another country.

They haven't copied their border control from any other country in the EU.

For a start, the UK requires all carriers of passengers to the UK to supply Advance Passenger Information A bit like (or maybe the same as) the ESTA information, I guess. So they can do as much of a security check as the US authorities can (or possibly more, given the pooled EU information) in advance of a passenger's arrival.

Bipat Sep 15th 2016 7:48 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12052754)
YEP Just went through all that whilst crossing from the USA into Canada last week. Gave us a small taste of what it's like to be an 'alien' again (used to have all that in NL before shengen) Such a joy to sit in the equivalent of a disused aircraft hanger for over an hour, with about 8 policemen drinking coffee,(one doing his nails.) whilst studiously ignoring you .Especially at 10pm at night after a veeeey long day. Get used to it Britain.. this is your future

There are many different visa systems--each country is different. I have life-time visa for India available to those who can prove Indian origin and their spouses and children etc. (It is blue!!) (Dual nationality not allowed)*
An e-visa for tourists takes a few mins to apply for.
Other visas employment, business etc.
Visa arrangements are often reciprocal particularly regarding cost, when UK raises it price for visa to UK---India then does the same.

*The irony is though, OH would never have decided to become 'British', if UK had joined EEC earlier. It was such a hassle getting a different visa for each European country when in younger days we travelled around Europe by train-foolishness of youth. However now elderly-'thick-uneducated Brexiter types' :lol:

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 7:54 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12052496)
It's true. The discussion should now be about making it work. The remoaners should stop behaving like spoilt cry babies, forget the past and move forward into the future. The EU will soon be a distant memory, a folly that we extricated ourselves from. The future is an independent United Kingdom - one that puts its citizens first.

Attachment 125763

EMR Sep 15th 2016 7:54 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12052733)
Almost 3 months after the British people voted to leave the EU and despite the hysterical predictions of wars, riots, financial collapse, plagues and pestilence by the remoaners every-thing's looking tickety boo.

I see that as usual you have ignored the obvious.
Brexit has not happened yet.
Where are the millions of immigrants, the 70million plus Turks that your quasi racist Farage czmpaign said were on their way..?

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052802)
They haven't copied their border control from any other country in the EU.

For a start, the UK requires all carriers of passengers to the UK to supply Advance Passenger Information A bit like (or maybe the same as) the ESTA information, I guess. So they can do as much of a security check as the US authorities can (or possibly more, given the pooled EU information) in advance of a passenger's arrival.

You're still (probably deliberately) missing the point.

It isn't about what the UK or ANY other country does NOW.

It's about what a newly independent UK can do in the FUTURE to improve border security.

But yet again, we've been through all this several times before.

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 7:59 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12052812)
Where are the millions of immigrants, the 70million plus Turks that your quasi racist Farage czmpaign said were on their way..?

I think you'll find that was a misquote.

Anyway, anything said in a referendum campaign doesn't count. It's not an election. Anybody who thought it was a pledge obviously doesn't know anything about democracy. It was just a suggestion about what might happen but obviously now we're free to stop that happening it won't. Like the extra NHS spending won't happen.

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 8:02 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052816)
It isn't about what the UK or ANY other country does NOW.

It's about what a newly independent UK can do in the FUTURE to improve border security.

Does the UK need to improve border security?

I thought mostly what it wants to do is to reduce immigration, which is a rather different matter.

Scamp Sep 15th 2016 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052817)
I think you'll find that was a misquote.

Anyway, anything said in a referendum campaign doesn't count. It's not an election. Anybody who thought it was a pledge obviously doesn't know anything about democracy. It was just a suggestion about what might happen but obviously now we're free to stop that happening it won't. Like the extra NHS spending won't happen.

Terrifying isn't it. Say whatever you want to win a vote, then not have to do anything about it afterwards.

It's like saying how great you are at a job interview to become a computer programmer, turning up on day one, denying you said a lot of it, say you can use Excel and that you'd really just rather have all the money they were offering and play with lego instead.

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 8:04 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12052496)
It's true. The discussion should now be about making it work. The remoaners should stop behaving like spoilt cry babies, forget the past and move forward into the future. The EU will soon be a distant memory, a folly that we extricated ourselves from. The future is an independent United Kingdom - one that puts its citizens first.

They should but I'll bet they won't........ Praps what they really need is some grief counselling to help them get over themselves? :lol:

Either that or a good kick up the arse to teach 'em their rights are no more important and any other burgers! ;)