British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

paulry Sep 14th 2016 8:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12052462)
It's a non starter I'm afraid.

Expecting Eu fanatics to comprehend how democracy works, is like expecting a five yr old to comprehend the latest developments in rocket science. :cool:

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052468)
As I said earlier, it't like trying to explain to a blind man what the colour 59 smells like!

:rofl:

But despite that, the democratic decision to leave has been made whether they like it or not. :ohmy:

Completely agree with you both. With that lot the lights are on but nobody's at home.

SultanOfSwing Sep 14th 2016 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12052462)
It's a non starter I'm afraid.

Expecting Eu fanatics to comprehend how democracy works, is like expecting a five yr old to comprehend the latest developments in rocket science. :cool:

Are there a lot of hardcore fans of the element Europium out there?

amideislas Sep 14th 2016 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052468)
As I said earlier, it't like trying to explain to a blind man what the colour 59 smells like!

:rofl:

But despite that, the democratic decision to leave has been made whether they like it or not. :ohmy:

Yet you can't identify one single upside.

I think this is a testament that the entire exercise never had anything to do with anything tangible. Just a populist movement. Has no upside, but it will be great.

paulry Sep 14th 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052266)
But we are post Brexit referendum therefore we should be discussing what will happen during the negotiations & after Brexit is complete....... But I've pointed that out several times! :ohmy:

It's true. The discussion should now be about making it work. The remoaners should stop behaving like spoilt cry babies, forget the past and move forward into the future. The EU will soon be a distant memory, a folly that we extricated ourselves from. The future is an independent United Kingdom - one that puts its citizens first.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 14th 2016 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052452)
You are a confusing snail. On one hand, you say we should be discussing the details of what's going to happen now, yet your only answer to everything is the vote count.

So we should be discussing the details of what's going to happen,
when discussions of details of what's going to happen have hardly yet begun by those who will decide them ? :confused:

To be fair, at least it provides remoaners with a welcome diversion from discussing details of what in reality actually has happened up to now, as against what the vast majority of them actually forecast.

1, A clear Brexiteers underdog victory in the referendum against an opposition with vastly superior resources.

2, A far better than expected immediate post referendum situation dispelling the wild remoaner forecasts of doom and gloom and Armageddon.

The only reason I mention them is because if the remoaner forecasts and future speculation are true to form, as per their previous spectacular failures, then Brexit will surely be a resounding success.

:thumbsup:

SultanOfSwing Sep 14th 2016 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12052496)
It's true. The discussion should now be about making it work. The remoaners should stop behaving like spoilt cry babies, forget the past and move forward into the future. The EU will soon be a distant memory, a folly that we extricated ourselves from. The future is an independent United Kingdom - one that puts its citizens first.

I'm so glad we have you to tell us what we can talk about.

I guess all the universities around the world can close down their history faculties now, since it's all over with and pointless to talk about anymore :blink:

Why do all Brexiters lace their thoughts of the future with so many contrived platitudes though? It's still going to be the same old mediocre UK, full of wanky little chavs, poo bags, expensive everything, bad weather, etc, etc. I mean, it's a lovely place and I wouldn't trade the 25 years I lived there for anything in the world, but christ on a bike, it's not like this independence is suddenly going to flip a switch and make all the crappy things go away. It'll be same shit, different bunch of overpaid rich twats failing to run the show, as always. They are politicians, after all, not people.

EMR Sep 14th 2016 9:47 pm

When are you returning to do your bit to rescue us.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 14th 2016 9:50 pm

I don't imagine for one moment that anything said on here will be of any great influence on the final outcome, but I do note that the various Leave campaigns are once again beginning to gather their resources in order to apply whatever pressure is possible at a higher level, in a similar manner to that which gave us the referendum, and in that respect I hope they continue to be well supported in their efforts to ensure a satisfactory outcome. :nod:

EMR Sep 14th 2016 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12052510)
So we should be discussing the details of what's going to happen,
when discussions of details of what's going to happen have hardly yet begun by those who will decide them ? :confused:

To be fair, at least it provides remoaners with a welcome diversion from discussing details of what in reality actually has happened up to now, as against what the vast majority of them actually forecast.

1, A clear Brexiteers underdog victory in the referendum against an opposition with vastly superior resources.

2, A far better than expected immediate post referendum situation dispelling the wild remoaner forecasts of doom and gloom and Armageddon.

The only reason I mention them is because if the remoaner forecasts and future speculation are true to form, as per their previous spectacular failures, then Brexit will surely be a resounding success.

:thumbsup:

Still do not understand simple facts do you.
The pre vote forcasts were for a Uk after brexit.
When and in what form that happens feel free to return with fact based comments.

mikelincs Sep 14th 2016 9:55 pm

There is currently a lot on the news and in the papers about how well the UK economy is doing post Brexit, it's improving and not going down the toilet as we were told it would, and the leavers are saying 'see we said it wouldn't harm the economy' BUT, and here's the point, the UK hasn't left the EU, Brexit hasn't happened, and so we still have full access to the single market as we had before, but due to the collapse of sterling then our exports are doing a lot better. The time will come, if we do leave the single market that the UK economy WILL suffer, but we will have to wait at least a couple of years for that to start to take effect.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 14th 2016 10:05 pm

As regards future speculation, I'd be more inclined to take note of those who have got it right up to now.

Former Lancastrian Sep 14th 2016 10:29 pm

Holy crap I left for work just after 6am my time this morning and we were on page 219 :lol:
I did come across a post regarding visas and the USA so Im here to set the record straight.

UK citizens do not require a visa to enter the USA on short tourism stays and this is taken from the official USCBP website

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP), administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in consultation with the State Department, permits citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa. In return, those 38 countries must permit U.S. citizens and nationals to travel to their countries for a similar length of time without a visa for business or tourism purposes.

Now those from the 38 VWP countries require an ESTA which is described as follows from the same source

ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Authorization via ESTA does not determine whether a traveler is admissible to the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers determine admissibility upon travelers’ arrival.

ESTA is basically the same as what Australia and now Canada requires from visa exempt countries in their eTA requirements.

In certain situations if going through pre clearance airports the Customs officers working at that airport outside of their own country can deny you flying to that country which I regularly see USCBP doing from airports within Canada.

Now carry on boys and girls.

The official links if nobody believes me
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...waiver-program
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 4:08 am

Another point regarding the VWP, touched on above, is that effectively in return for the visa requirement being waived, the traveler waives their right to appeal, and entry is granted entirely at the discretion of immigration control. If there is any suspicion of intent to overstay, or work, or in any other way abuse the system, entry will be denied, and further reentry may as a result require a B2 tourist visa, the VWP in that case being unavailable to the traveler.

So, if this kind of a program was to be implemented in the UK post-Brexit, as far as tourism or certain business allowances, no visa requirement does not mean automatic entry.

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 5:26 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12052512)
I'm so glad we have you to tell us what we can talk about.

I guess all the universities around the world can close down their history faculties now, since it's all over with and pointless to talk about anymore :blink:

Why do all Brexiters lace their thoughts of the future with so many contrived platitudes though? It's still going to be the same old mediocre UK, full of wanky little chavs, poo bags, expensive everything, bad weather, etc, etc. I mean, it's a lovely place and I wouldn't trade the 25 years I lived there for anything in the world, but christ on a bike, it's not like this independence is suddenly going to flip a switch and make all the crappy things go away. It'll be same shit, different bunch of overpaid rich twats failing to run the show, as always. They are politicians, after all, not people.

I think that's been the irony all along, and what keeps it entertaining now. If you remember, leading up to the referendum, in addition to the now infamous fabrications, they all talked about how great it will be. The term "flourish" was used often. In light of what we know now, that's toned down quite a bit, the more optimistic rhetoric sounding more like "it will be almost as good as before".

Considering how astronomically expensive this will be, it does beg the question; what was the point?

We all know the answer, though; Vote count.

TGA Sep 15th 2016 5:37 am

Almost 3 months after the British people voted to leave the EU and despite the hysterical predictions of wars, riots, financial collapse, plagues and pestilence by the remoaners every-thing's looking tickety boo.