British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Sep 14th 2016 6:47 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052357)
Funny how the remainiacs can be so sure of what they see as the bad aspects of Brexit but so unsure of the good ones?

The truth is no-one (not even the most rabid remainiacs) can see into the future.

Neither can you.
But it will not be a free trade UK able to do business on its terms when and where it choses.
It will not be a UK able to manage its internal affairs without reference to or the influence of its European neighbours..
It will not be a UK free of all and every regulation in its laws and procedures which are a result of EU membership.
It will not be a UK with closed borders.
Brexit will be as are most things in diplomacy and economic planning a compromise.

If the UK government can satisfy most of those who voted brexit by just changing the colour of our passports it will get my support..
Such a meaningless act will it allow it to to focus on what really matters, the Economy.!!

amideislas Sep 14th 2016 6:48 pm

Can you outline the "good ones"?

I've been asking this question for months. Aside from "brexit is brexit" and a few gloriously optimistic brexiteer blogs, nobody has been able to offer any convincing upside.

Correction: TGA seems to think that blue passports are worth it (although there's no reason why the UK couldn't change passport colour anytime it wants)

mfesharne Sep 14th 2016 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12052365)
Neither can you.
But it will not be a free trade UK able to do business on its terms when and where it choses.
It will not be a UK able to manage its internal affairs without reference to or the influence of its European neighbours..
It will not be a UK free of all and every regulation in its laws and procedures which are a result of EU membership.
It will not be a UK with closed borders.
Brexit will be as are most things in diplomacy and economic planning a compromise.

If the UK government can satisfy most of those who voted brexit by just changing the colour of our passports it will get my support..
Such a meaningless act will it allow it to to focus on what really matters, the Economy.!!

I never have pretended to be able to see into the future but your post proves my point very well indeed....... so thanks for that! :rofl:

mfesharne Sep 14th 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052366)
Can you outline the "good ones"?

I've been asking this question for months. Aside from "brexit is brexit" and a few gloriously optimistic brexiteer blogs, nobody has been able to offer any convincing upside.

Correction: TGA seems to think that blue passports are worth it.

Just like everyone else, I'm unable to see into the future...... but as I keep saying, I rather suspect one of the most important factors in making the majority vote to leave was for the country to be able to make it's own decisions without 3rd party interference & that things like trade deals & even free movement & immigration are secondary to that........ but they are tied to that in as much as that majority didn't believe those things could be changed had the country remained within the EU.

However, the only way you'd get a definitive answer would be to ask every single person that voted to leave.

mfesharne Sep 14th 2016 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12052354)
The concessions DC asked for (and got) had nothing to do with the direction of the EU. It was solely an attempt at appeasing the Tory voters who were drifting towards UKIP.

Didn't work though did it?

amideislas Sep 14th 2016 7:07 pm

So, you can't identify any upside?

You just voted for something for which you can't identify any upside result?

EMR Sep 14th 2016 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052375)
Just like everyone else, I'm unable to see into the future...... but as I keep saying, I rather suspect one of the most important factors in making the majority vote to leave was for the country to be able to make it's own decisions without 3rd party interference & that things like trade deals & even free movement & immigration are secondary to that........ but they are tied to that in as much as that majority didn't believe those things could be changed had the country remained within the EU.

However, the only way you'd get a definitive answer would be to ask every single person that voted to leave.

There are few if any trade expert of repute who believes that tbe UK will be sble to do its own free trsde deals without reference to the WTO etc.
The most recent was a discussion on BBC world news only a few days ago.

When did you last live for any extended time in the UK,?
You moved from SA to Portugal
How would you know how life has been as you maintain been adversley affected by EU membership.

EMR Sep 14th 2016 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052381)
Didn't work though did it?

It would not when you have the bigoted quasi racist campaign of Farage and the NHS lies that appealed to those who probably never gave a few seconds thought if any at all to considering the details of the negotiations..

mfesharne Sep 14th 2016 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052383)
So, you can't identify any upside?

You just voted for something for which you can't identify any upside result?

I know exactly what I voted for & why & have posted it several times but despite the fact you seem unable to grasp the concept I'll try yet again.

I voted for Brexit as in the UK to leave the EU.

The upside is the UK will be out of the EU & able to make it's own decisions without any interference from any 3rd party country.

I have other hopes as well but they're the dominant reasons.

Hope you've finally managed to get your head around it this time. (rolleyes)

Dick Dasterdly Sep 14th 2016 7:30 pm

Latest Unemployment figures...

United Kingdom Unemployment Rate | 1971-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

UK 4.9%

EU 10.1%

Meanwhile EU youth unemployment as high as 50% in some countries.
"The Lost Generations".

Absolutely shocking !

If this is what the EU call success, I would dread to see failure. :cool:

amideislas Sep 14th 2016 7:30 pm

God save the United Kingdom

amideislas Sep 14th 2016 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052398)
I know exactly what I voted for & why & have posted it several times but despite the fact you seem unable to grasp the concept I'll try yet again.

The upside is the UK will be out of the EU & able to make it's own decisions without any interference from any 3rd party country.

Yet you cannot identify any upside?

Dick Dasterdly Sep 14th 2016 7:32 pm

Hard work innit ?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

SultanOfSwing Sep 14th 2016 7:36 pm

The caveat with this is that you are trusting that the UK will make the right decisions. Or, at least the right ones for you.

Say after the next general election, there is a Labour government. Would you be confident then that they are making the right decisions from your perspective?

Dick Dasterdly Sep 14th 2016 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052400)

From what ?

That bunch of unelected idiotic clowns that control the EU and their comatosed crook of a leader, who endlessly drag the whole sorry mess from one crisis to another ?

Yes please God save us from that. :cool: