British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost May 23rd 2018 7:40 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12503957)
​​​​​​Reality will sort them out eventually, but it's sometimes a bit creepy to watch.

If there's one thing that you probably shouldn't be lecturing people on then it's reality.

007Steve May 23rd 2018 7:54 am

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Yes, another Secessionist 'Victory' is on the horizon !!!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8363996.html
They'll have to find a PR genius to 'spin' this one around.....:nod:

amideislas May 23rd 2018 8:01 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12503964)
If there's one thing that you probably shouldn't be lecturing people on then it's reality.

But it's not. Demonstrably. Yet you continue to believe it. That's the point. And in one way, it's a bit creepy.

But OK, like most of the delusions in this exercise, reality will sort those out too. No doubt you'll still want to believe the sun orbits the earth; after all, it's bloody obvious, every morning, day after day. And no fact will change your mind about it.

​​​​​By the way, where do you get this stuff? Is it the tabloids? Some bloke at the pub? Or do you think you just dream it all up by yourself?

Red Eric May 23rd 2018 8:12 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12503854)
‘…in what other ways do you think the other 27 nations don't see things working all that well?’

Germany for one. So a member state is complaining! In other words, they do not see things working all that well.

What I was responding to was DG's comment : "I have to say that I don't think the union is really working in general at the moment though." Germany dragging its heels a bit over agreeing to QE is hardly evidence of that. All nations have niggles of one sort or another but it's hardly evidence that in general things aren't working well enough.

Greece is a perfect example. They disagreed with the way things turned out and the EU/Eurozone turned on them.

Oh well, I suppose it's good to see that the narrative has changed from Greece being full of corrupt, lazy, tax-dodgers who retire early on over-generous pensions paid for by the largesse of other member states :thumbup:

As for the member states jiggling around for contributions, not my problem.

Jigging around with, not jiggling around for.

I didn't say it was anybody's problem - just contesting the notion that the UK withdrawing and the loss of its financial contribution (assuming it does actually leave on time and the new arrangement doesn't involve any financial contribution ;)) will lead to a major falling-out at that point. As I say, it's under discussion now and by Dec 2020 the agreements on the new budget cycle will be history. No explosions there.

amideislas May 23rd 2018 8:30 am

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12503970)
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Yes, another Secessionist 'Victory' is on the horizon !!!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8363996.html
They'll have to find a PR genius to 'spin' this one around.....:nod:

Well, it doesn't require a PR genius. It's rather simple, really; The EU refuses to grant the UK everything it needs to continue enjoying membership benefits after it cancels its membership, so it's all the EU's fault. Bloody selfish foreigners.

EMR May 23rd 2018 9:59 am

Just had an email from EJ , the flight we are taking later today will now be operated by Easy jet Europe not Easy jet UK.
Where can I go to start a petition 😃

007Steve May 23rd 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12504008)
Just had an email from EJ , the flight we are taking later today will now be operated by Easy jet Europe not Easy jet UK.
Where can I go to start a petition 😃

:nod: Yep, .. m.u.i. that they'll fly parallel with the UK arm and, if/when things go mammary-glands-up, run the UK inward/outward routes. Whether they keep any domestic UK routes isn't clear.
Can't help you with the petition though ;)

la mancha May 23rd 2018 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12503978)
What I was responding to was DG's comment : "I have to say that I don't think the union is really working in general at the moment though." Germany dragging its heels a bit over agreeing to QE is hardly evidence of that. All nations have niggles of one sort or another but it's hardly evidence that in general things aren't working well enough.

Oh well, I suppose it's good to see that the narrative has changed from Greece being full of corrupt, lazy, tax-dodgers who retire early on over-generous pensions paid for by the largesse of other member states :thumbup:

Jigging around with, not jiggling around for.

I didn't say it was anybody's problem - just contesting the notion that the UK withdrawing and the loss of its financial contribution (assuming it does actually leave on time and the new arrangement doesn't involve any financial contribution ;)) will lead to a major falling-out at that point. As I say, it's under discussion now and by Dec 2020 the agreements on the new budget cycle will be history. No explosions there.

What I was responding to was your post when you stated, ‘in what other ways do you think the other 27 nations don't see things working all that well?’ and it doesn’t matter who you said it to.

Then you mention Germany is complaining about the trillions pumping into the Eurozone member states. In other words they don’t see things working all that well. If that was not the case why complain?

As for Greece, one cannot deny the EU/Eurozone turned on them.

And regarding EU funding, I did talk about ECB funding and the UK’s contribution, when they stop, not just the UK’s. ‘ When it (the ECB pumping trillions into the Eurozone) finishes and the UK’s funding stops…’

I wish you could read a post correctly because then I wouldn’t have to spend time correcting you.

Red Eric May 23rd 2018 2:14 pm

:yawn: You can save yourself the time, there's no correction needed.

I expect you're in favour of the sort of thing that has interviewees appearing to answer one question when in fact their response was to something else altogether which has been edited out :thumbdown:

DigitalGhost May 23rd 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12503982)
Well, it doesn't require a PR genius. It's rather simple, really; The EU refuses to grant the UK everything it needs to continue enjoying membership benefits after it cancels its membership, so it's all the EU's fault. Bloody selfish foreigners.

I don't think anybody is to blame really. It's just an amicable end to a relationship that wasn't really working out anymore.

amideislas May 23rd 2018 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12504112)
I don't think anybody is to blame really. It's just an amicable end to a relationship that wasn't really working out anymore.

​​​​​​The world's 5th largest economy (now 6th, headed for 7th) with substantial political clout ...from a modest island nation. Wasn't working out. Right, then.

Well, we'll see how it works out when all alone and desperate for anything to restore that feeling of superiority it once had. Empire gone. Global front door to worlds largest economy saved Britain from total post-empire humiliation. But that'll soon be gone. No worries though. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. A little humility is a good thing. And if that doesn't work, you can always have the tabloids print stories about British superiority and foreign inferiority. Putin is quite successful at that.

In the mean time, Brexit may well be the one thing the EU needed, despite the irritation.

DaveLovesDee May 23rd 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12504084)
:nod: Yep, .. m.u.i. that they'll fly parallel with the UK arm and, if/when things go mammary-glands-up, run the UK inward/outward routes. Whether they keep any domestic UK routes isn't clear.

Ryanair UK will be able to fly UK domestic routes, the other Ryanair EU domestic routes. Routes between the UK and EU will be part of the exit deal.

dougal03 May 23rd 2018 4:13 pm

UMM I think I need to go to Specsavers, Amideislas, did I really read "amicable" end to a relationship ??

DaveLovesDee May 23rd 2018 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12504084)

Ryanair UK will be able to fly UK domestic routes, the other Ryanair EU domestic routes. Routes between the UK and EU will be part of the exit deal.

Amicable? Not if you read the claims by Brexiters that the EU is punishing us.

macliam May 23rd 2018 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12504117)
​​​​​​The world's 5th largest economy (now 6th, headed for 7th) with substantial political clout ...from a modest island nation. Wasn't working out. Right, then.

Well, we'll see how it works out when all alone and desperate for anything to restore that feeling of superiority it once had. Empire gone. Global front door to worlds largest economy saved Britain from total post-empire humiliation. But that'll soon be gone. No worries though. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. A little humility is a good thing. And if that doesn't work, you can always have the tabloids print stories about British superiority and foreign inferiority. Putin is quite successful at that.

In the mean time, Brexit may well be the one thing the EU needed, despite the irritation.

I agree with the first paragraphs, but it was ever thus. Spain and Portugal were once rich and powerful countries and believed that they stood astride the world, but they made poor choices too.

However, your last remark is very, very wide of the mark - the UK leaving the EU will bring no benefit. The EU needs fundamental reform, but the bureaucracy, inefficiency and petty corruption that infests EU bodies will continue unchecked - because patently Germany and France have no interest in changing it and the rest don't count or are too busy trying to get as much as possible out of the coffers to rock the boat. That's not to say that reform would have happened with the UK in place ...... but as an irritant it was a vector for change.... and without it I fear the same stagnation will continue.