Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old May 22nd 2018, 9:51 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
"Stitch each other up as often as they do" - could we have some examples of the sort of thing you're talking about there, please? (And could you leave aside anything to do with refugees for the purposes of this question).

Thanks
Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
No because you know full well that some EU countries have tried to do each other over when it comes to that particular very serious problem.
I know nothing of the sort - I just didn't want the thread getting side-tracked yet again onto your hobby-horse.

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation, you've got nothing else
Old May 22nd 2018, 10:50 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
It amazes me how some Brits on here talk about Brit arrogance as if it is nothing to do with them. Either you are a Brit or you are not. We are all in the same boat as far as others see us.
Many exhibit it. The amusing thing is that they have no clue how it looks from afar. It's like a foregone conclusion that English=superior. As if everyone sees it that way. And how could it possibly be arrogant to state the bleedin' obvious?

"We're English, my dear. Arrogance is beneath us".
Old May 22nd 2018, 11:34 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing of the sort - I just didn't want the thread getting side-tracked yet again onto your hobby-horse.

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation, you've got nothing else
I'm sure there are other examples, I just don't care to find them.

There have been reported instances of EU member states screwing each other over regarding refugees and illegal immigrants. I'm not sure how anybody could deny that at this point really.
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

There have been reported instances of EU member states screwing each other over regarding refugees and illegal immigrants. I'm not sure how anybody could deny that at this point really.
The easiest example to find is that of Germany. As an economically dishonest country they have deliberately set up the euro to benefit themselves regardless of the damage done to other member states.
They were able to bully Greece into submission but they have a much bigger fight on their hands with Italy.
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Many exhibit it. The amusing thing is that they have no clue how it looks from afar. It's like a foregone conclusion that English=superior. As if everyone sees it that way. And how could it possibly be arrogant to state the bleedin' obvious?

"We're English, my dear. Arrogance is beneath us".
As I said, we are all in the same boat as they see it, you included.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Years View Post
The easiest example to find is that of Germany. As an economically dishonest country they have deliberately set up the euro to benefit themselves regardless of the damage done to other member states.
They were able to bully Greece into submission but they have a much bigger fight on their hands with Italy.
As Marcus Brigstock said, Germany found a much easier and cheaper way than taking Europe by military force. They can just buy it instead.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:17 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The only reports I've seen of an EU member state screwing over another regarding refugees is the UK, when they agreed to take a number of refugees under the Dubs Agreement then only took a small percentage of those agreed. No sure how that's the EU's fault.

Not sure how any country in the EU can screw over another regarding illegal immigrants though? Again, nor how that's the fault of the EU itself....

Old May 22nd 2018, 2:21 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The only screwing over was the failure to distribute the load and to expect the arrival countries to cope alone for years before what became an unmanageable crisis. As I've said before, you only have to look at a map and use your usual interpretation of the Dublin Agreement to see who was being screwed by whom.

But that's not what you're referring to and as I said, that's your hobby-horse.

As your claim was that member states are regularly stitching each other up, I'd have thought you might have had numerous examples to hand - "I'm sure there are other examples, I just don't care to find them" is a little lame.

Never mind, anyway. I rest my case - good call, wasn't it?
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:25 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Greece didn't meet all the conditions for joining the Euro, but were admitted anyway.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:41 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Greece didn't meet all the conditions for joining the Euro, but were admitted anyway.
Which highlights a failure of the EU to follow due process surely.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:42 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Never mind, anyway. I rest my case - good call, wasn't it?
No you were totally incorrect. Surely if the other Schengen countries are refusing to help out the southern border nations then that is a textbook example of the other countries screwing those southern nations over.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:45 pm
Who - me?

My case that you had nothing other than refugees in mind when you said the member states were regularly screwing each other over and I asked for examples.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
The only reports I've seen of an EU member state screwing over another regarding refugees is the UK, when they agreed to take a number of refugees under the Dubs Agreement then only took a small percentage of those agreed. No sure how that's the EU's fault.
Ah OK, so this didn't happen then?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-opens-its-gates-berlin-says-all-syrian-asylum-seekers-are-welcome-to-remain-as-britain-is-10470062.html

​​​​​In truth, many of the issues that Europe has faced with refugee influx since 2015 were created by Germany.
Old May 22nd 2018, 3:29 pm
So long...

Ah OK, so this didn't happen then?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-opens-its-gates-berlin-says-all-syrian-asylum-seekers-are-welcome-to-remain-as-britain-is-10470062.html

​​​​​In truth, many of the issues that Europe has faced with refugee influx since 2015 were created by Germany.
I read your link as not screwing anyone over. It's about Germany offering to take refugees from other EU countries. How is that 'screwing anyone over'?
Old May 22nd 2018, 3:38 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Which highlights a failure of the EU to follow due process surely.
Confusing the EU with the Eutozone, you are not the first Brexiter to do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.