Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old May 20th 2018, 1:41 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
That was me widening my sources. I had to include a link to that commie Corbynite leftist rag through gritted teeth.
Now that you've found it was the work of seconds to locate a pro Brexit article in there, perhaps you'll be tempted to check it out more often.

There's an occasional article from a progressive left commentator but they're in very short supply indeed and you'd be hard pushed to find much in praise of Corbyn.

They did publish a good longish piece about Caroline Lucas a while back - it included some comments from her about the workings of Westminster and what an eye-opener it had been for her to witness it at first hand. Should make quite interesting reading for anybody, especially those who constantly bangs on about a lack of democracy and transparency in the EU.
Old May 20th 2018, 1:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
There's an occasional article from a progressive left commentator but they're in very short supply indeed and you'd be hard pushed to find much in praise of Corbyn.
Then why is it that all of the crazies Lefties I've met seem to love both Corbyn and The Guardian? I can understand that they might be odd bed fellows especially in light of the face that Corbyn is hardly pro-EU. He is in favour of installing himself as some sort of Stalinist personality cult dictator but doesn't seem to like the EU very much.
Old May 20th 2018, 1:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

This one is only 5 days old and I would hardly say that it paints Corbyn in a negative light. But hey, as long as they're not seen to support the Conservatives or UKIP then anything else is fair game, right?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-negotiations
Old May 20th 2018, 2:18 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

You're missing the point. They would happily pull out of the UK as soon as it no longer met their financial objectives. That's with or without the EU and there have been examples of Asian corporations doing that in the past.

Remaining in the EU would not promise the continuation of their investment.
But leaving significantly increases the risk, so much for Brexit concern for the British economy and British jobs.
Fortunately every report almost daily suggest Brexit light .
May apparently tore a strip of Smog at a meeting This week.
Old May 20th 2018, 2:34 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Then why is it that all of the crazies Lefties I've met seem to love both Corbyn and The Guardian?
I'm not sure. Could it be that far from being crazies Lefties, they're both very sensible and well-read insofar as the available choices go?

I can understand that they might be odd bed fellows especially in light of the face that Corbyn is hardly pro-EU. He is in favour of installing himself as some sort of Stalinist personality cult dictator but doesn't seem to like the EU very much.
So bang goes your theory about lefty commie remainers.

This one is only 5 days old and I would hardly say that it paints Corbyn in a negative light. But hey, as long as they're not seen to support the Conservatives or UKIP then anything else is fair game, right?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/15/corbyn-wise-to-keep-his-powder-dry-over-brexit-negotiations
That is a letter, not an article.

I'll save you the bother of looking any further, though - I did say they were rare, not non-existent. The balance of opinion pieces is heavily critical, which makes your claim that the paper is "Corbynite" false.
Old May 20th 2018, 2:57 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Then why is it that all of the crazies Lefties I've met seem to love both Corbyn and The Guardian? I can understand that they might be odd bed fellows especially in light of the face that Corbyn is hardly pro-EU. He is in favour of installing himself as some sort of Stalinist personality cult dictator but doesn't seem to like the EU very much.
I don't like Corbyn much. Just another out of touch politician. I know some people do, but I don't know any.
Old May 20th 2018, 3:13 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The issue the Labour leadership has is that it does not see its role as offering a viable alternative to the Conservatives on Brexit.
As evidenced in the interview this morning on the Andrew Mar prog..
The labour candidate in an upcoming selection is pro remaining in the singke market and if elected would join those Labour and Tory rebels in voting against their party hierarchies..
Old May 20th 2018, 3:28 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Or because the EU was the only bloc that was misguided enough to assume that total FoM would be a good idea. Even Australia and New Zealand and the US and Canada opted for bilateral visa systems rather than total FoM and those are smaller trade pacts made up of far wealthier, more civilised, prosperous and stable nations than today's EU.

If FoM wasn't considered a terrible enough idea back in the 1980's then it absolutely should have been repealed or overhauled ahead of Eastern European accession.
FoM works for the EU as there are large numbers of people (c500 million) within close proximity, that's 1.5 x the US population. And the US basically has had free movement across it's member states a lot longer than the EU has. Though it would be a more appropriate if the EU were a country.

If that's their only policy, and it's a policy with which I agree to some extent, then they should just stick to that rather than Caroline Lucas constantly running her mouth and chiming in on topics that don't concern her party such as the foreign aid budget, EU membership and immigration policy.
It's not their only policy, and maybe if you actually tried reading them, you may find other stuff you agree with, instead of despising something you appear to know little about. But let's change that, shall we?

As an MP, Caroline Lucas is absolutely within her rights to discuss foreign aid, EU membership (of which we have 3 MEPs), and immigration policy.

How many times do I need to tell you? I'm quite sure that I know more about Japanese culture than you do and I'm telling you now, they would quite happily pull out in a heartbeat as soon as Britain no longer met their financial or business objectives, EU membership or not.

In fact I read an article in a free newspaper for Japanese expats that they hand out in London Mitsukoshi. It stated that several Japanese finance firms were considering doing just that because the UK was making it harder for their execs to obtain ILR or sponsor dependents and that was a year or so before the referendum.

Nintendo actually did just that a couple of decades ago. They moved their Europe base to Frankfurt because Germany offered them a sweeter package. Japanese corporations couldn't give a toss for your financial stability so I don't see why we should have to care so much about theirs.
Because working at Nissan Sunderland and Honda Swindon (and their suppliers) will be able to move to Frankfurt or wherever those companies relocate to if they leave the UK. Which means that thousands of UK workers will be looking for employment (again, in the case of those North-East communities affected by the mine closures of the 1980's and 90's.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...m-green-brexit

It is possible to be slightly critical of something yet still blindly support it regardless of its many, many flaws.
If you blindly support something, you usually fail to see the flaws, or to criticise them....

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Now that you've found it was the work of seconds to locate a pro Brexit article in there, perhaps you'll be tempted to check it out more often.

They did publish a good longish piece about Caroline Lucas a while back - it included some comments from her about the workings of Westminster and what an eye-opener it had been for her to witness it at first hand. Should make quite interesting reading for anybody, especially those who constantly bangs on about a lack of democracy and transparency in the EU.
I'm still waiting for a serious response to my reply of DG's claim that the EU is 'largely unelected'.
Old May 20th 2018, 3:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
FoM works for the EU as there are large numbers of people (c500 million) within close proximity, that's 1.5 x the US population. And the US basically has had free movement across it's member states a lot longer than the EU has. Though it would be a more appropriate if the EU were a country.
FoM doesn't work in the UK's interest, that's the point. If it did then the referendum never would have been necessary. You try telling a middle aged cleaner who has just seen their job taken from them by an agency that only recruits Eastern Europeans on minimum wage that it's all justified because they could easily move to Bucharest or Krakow if they wanted to. I doubt they'd agree with you.

The US works because all states are relatively similar in terms of economy, culture, language and belief systems. Yes there are some disparities and cracks but nothing like on the scale of the EU. Additionally, America is very adapt at controlling the number of outsiders permitted into its population and workforce, yet another area where continental Europe struggles miserably.

I already pointed out some issues with the EU's democratic system several posts ago.
Old May 20th 2018, 3:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
But leaving significantly increases the risk, so much for Brexit concern for the British economy and British jobs.
Fortunately every report almost daily suggest Brexit light .
May apparently tore a strip of Smog at a meeting This week.
​​​​​​I agree but a risk is a risk regardless. The truth is that the UK shouldn't be so dependent on foreign investment anyway really. It gives foreign governments far too much power over another country's economy and creates a conflict of interest.
Old May 20th 2018, 4:03 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​I agree but a risk is a risk regardless. The truth is that the UK shouldn't be so dependent on foreign investment anyway really. It gives foreign governments far too much power over another country's economy and creates a conflict of interest.
And with that ''Truth'' you put an extra meter on the Brexit wall around the UK.
Old May 20th 2018, 4:34 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

BET365 are off from Gibraltar to Malta as a result of Brexit taking 1000 jobs with them.

This won't be of much concern to Brexiteers I would imagine as it doesn't really affect the UK but I have several friends who work for them in Gibraltar so it's sad for them.

Apparently the purchase contract for the property comes into force on the day the UK leaves the EU.

Bet365 – one of the world’s leading online gambling groups – has finalised plans to relocate its operations to Malta from Gibraltar as soon as the UK exits the European Union next year, The Sunday Times of Malta can reveal.

The group, owned by a British family and according to its latest published accounts (2015) having had a revenue of €1.5 billion, is expected to relocate some 1,000 employees from its operations in Gibraltar, significantly boosting Malta’s economy and dependence on the online gambling industry.
Old May 20th 2018, 4:35 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

BET365 are off from Gibraltar to Malta as a result of Brexit taking 1000 jobs with them.

This won't be of much concern to Brexiteers I would imagine as it doesn't really affect the UK but I have several friends who work for them in Gibraltar so it's sad for them.

Apparently the purchase contract for the property comes into force on the day the UK leaves the EU.

Bet365 – one of the world’s leading online gambling groups – has finalised plans to relocate its operations to Malta from Gibraltar as soon as the UK exits the European Union next year, The Sunday Times of Malta can reveal.

The group, owned by a British family and according to its latest published accounts (2015) having had a revenue of €1.5 billion, is expected to relocate some 1,000 employees from its operations in Gibraltar, significantly boosting Malta’s economy and dependence on the online gambling industry.
Old May 20th 2018, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post

According to El Pais this week, Gibraltar has a total workforce of 24,000 with only 20 people registered as unemployed.
Those who don't transfer to Malta shouldn't have too much trouble being absorbed elsewhere,
Old May 20th 2018, 5:51 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
And with that ''Truth'' you put an extra meter on the Brexit wall around the UK.
That would be great. Seriously, I would love that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.