British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

macliam May 13th 2018 2:09 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498659)
If there was truly due process then the claimant wouldn't have been admitted into the UK in the first place. FoM is a damn farce.

Have you actually read the case?
The guy was in the UK and working for YEARS before being evicted and ending up on the street. How does this relate to FoM?

Annetje May 13th 2018 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498659)
If there was truly due process then the claimant wouldn't have been admitted into the UK in the first place. FoM is a damn farce.

That's a matter of opinion, I like FOM ...

DigitalGhost May 13th 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12498666)
Have you actually read the case?
The guy was in the UK and working for YEARS before being evicted and ending up on the street. How does this relate to FoM?

Was he admitted into the country on a working visa and performing a skilled role? Or was he sponsored for immigration status by a family member?

If not then it absolutely relates to FoM and he's still a criminal regardless.

DigitalGhost May 13th 2018 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12498668)
That's a matter of opinion, I like FOM ...

​​​​​I'm sure you do. If you're living an idyllic lifestyle in Spain or the South of France then I can see why you would. It's different when you actually have to witness and suffer the negative consequences of it though.

macliam May 13th 2018 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498674)
Was he admitted into the country on a working visa and performing a skilled role? Or was he sponsored for immigration status by a family member?

If not then it absolutely relates to FoM and he's still a criminal regardless.

He was not tried or convicted - you may not be aware, but there is a presumption of innocence in the UK, so you are incorrect. He may have committed a crime, but that does not make him a criminal until convicted. He also came to the UK and was supporting himself - just as British people can move to Europe. You may not like FoM but that's your problem....

DigitalGhost May 13th 2018 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12498680)
He was not tried or convicted - you may not be aware, but there is a presumption of innocence in the UK, so you are incorrect. He may have committed a crime, but that does not make him a criminal until convicted. He also came to the UK and was supporting himself - just as British people can move to Europe. You may not like FoM but that's your problem....

All of this came about because he was found sleeping on the streets by the authorities and deported as a result. Are you now claiming that he wasn't homeless? Because the last time I checked, it was illegal to sleep rough in this country and has been for nearly 200 years. The fact that it isn't commonly punished doesn't make it legal.

macliam May 13th 2018 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498677)
​​​​​I'm sure you do. If you're living an idyllic lifestyle in Spain or the South of France then I can see why you would. It's different when you actually have to witness and suffer the negative consequences of it though.

What a poor grasp of reality you have! It is true that more working EU migrants come to the UK than vice versa, but that is for a number of reasons - high amongst them being a poor work-ethic and lack of language skills amongst UK youth. However, that does not make the concept wrong. FoM has provided labour to fuel the British economy as well as nurses, doctors and other skilled workers - the fact that the UK seems to have huge problems in actually following the same rules as other EU states in terms of registration and residency requirements is of its own making.

macliam May 13th 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498682)
All of this came about because he was found sleeping on the streets by the authorities and deported as a result. Are you now claiming that he wasn't homeless? Because the last time I checked, it was illegal to sleep rough in this country and has been for nearly 200 years. The fact that it isn't commonly punished doesn't make it legal.

Apparently, the law, as interpreted by the High Court, doesn't agree with you.

BBC report: "The Home Office under Theresa May introduced the concept of rough sleeping as an abuse of EU treaty rights two years ago.

But immigration enforcement teams were targeting rough sleepers even if they were in work or had a permanent right of residence in the UK.

The policy was halted after a judicial review in December ruled it to be unlawful and discriminatory."

Annetje May 13th 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498677)

Why is it that Brexiteers only see negatives ? And why do you think FOM is soooo negative in the UK and not in other EU countries ? It works for other EU countries who enforce EU rules and regulations. Why does the UK not follow up on these regulations ? Ever since the referendum they could have adjust this and forget about Mayhem's hostile environment but they didn't and still don't, with all consequences (look at the Windrush generation and unlawful deportations). Pathetic !

holly_1948 May 13th 2018 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12498647)
Anyone, Brit or non-Brit can fall on hard times.
Your attitude towards this is almost as laughable as this :
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8347111.html

UK government to host summit on why other countries should join the Eu

Words can not express what I feel right now ... Is this hilarious or just extremely sad ?

More fake news.

DigitalGhost May 13th 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12498704)
Why is it that Brexiteers only see negatives ? And why do you think FOM is soooo negative in the UK and not in other EU countries ? It works for other EU countries who enforce EU rules and regulations. Why does the UK not follow up on these regulations ? Ever since the referendum they could have adjust this and forget about Mayhem's hostile environment but they didn't and still don't, with all consequences (look at the Windrush generation and unlawful deportations). Pathetic !

I'm sure that it has a negative impact upon other countries as well as the UK. However, I don't live in any of those and I'm not a citizen of any of them so therefore their problems aren't mine. Those problems are for them to worry about.

DigitalGhost May 13th 2018 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12498688)
What a poor grasp of reality you have! It is true that more working EU migrants come to the UK than vice versa, but that is for a number of reasons - high amongst them being a poor work-ethic and lack of language skills amongst UK youth. However, that does not make the concept wrong. FoM has provided labour to fuel the British economy as well as nurses, doctors and other skilled workers - the fact that the UK seems to have huge problems in actually following the same rules as other EU states in terms of registration and residency requirements is of its own making.

That's complete nonsense and you know it. The reason for the majority of unskilled migration from Eastern Europe and youth immigration to the UK from the likes of Spain is because of massive economic and social disparity and struggling economies in the southern Eurozone. I'm sure you're right that there is a lack of foreign language ability among UK youth but that is British young people don't really need to know any other language fluently. The UK isn't in a desperate state economically and jobs aren't really available in most of the other European countries anyway.

I've worked with a lot of skilled people in their 20's-40's from Greece, Spain etc. Most of them are only working abroad because they can't find any decent opportunities at home.

EMR May 13th 2018 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498732)
That's complete nonsense and you know it. The reason for the majority of unskilled migration from Eastern Europe and youth immigration to the UK from the likes of Spain is because of massive economic and social disparity and struggling economies in the southern Eurozone. I'm sure you're right that there is a lack of foreign language ability among UK youth but that is British young people don't really need to know any other language fluently. The UK isn't in a desperate state economically and jobs aren't really available in most of the other European countries anyway.

I've worked with a lot of skilled people in their 20's-40's from Greece, Spain etc. Most of them are only working abroad because they can't find any decent opportunities at home.

The tiny minds inds of some brexiters continue to ignore the needs of the UK economy, the record numbers of employed the pre brexit vote growth in the UK economy.
They continue not to understand that the prime mover for immigration is ,was and always will be the needs of the economy.
They would rather we had stayed in recession with all that means than be the country we have now..
Well you will soon get your wish as growth declines in the UK so will the attraction of the UK.
EU iI migrants will return to their home countries Brits may well end up on the dole.

DaveLovesDee May 13th 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 12498726)
More fake news.

How so? Or are you just saying that because the article doesn't fit with what you want to believe?

Cape Blue May 13th 2018 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12498539)
It's very true that sometimes we don't need the EU to pass judgements and laws that go against the general well-being of the country or the interests of honest tax-paying UK citizens. Our own courts are perfectly capable of making terrible decisions on their own and allowing foreigners to take the piss at every opportunity.

EU rough sleepers win damages for illegal deportations - BBC News

For EU citizens the UK's street are literally paved with gold.