British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas May 9th 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12496649)
They're our closest trading partner and a large economy whereas Canada is an ocean away and is economically much smaller.

I don't think that the UK should retain membership benefits after Brexit but I also don't think that we need to necessarily be in the EU to forge a solid and comprehensive trading relationship with them.

Thats a nice sentiment, and yes, quite possible. But that's not the problem. The problem is that any such agreement will never provide the platform for which so much of the UK's economic and functional well being are dependent upon. Businesses depend on unfettered access to the single market. Without customs Union, the massive amount of global trade with the EU that flows through Britain effectively dies. Or will eventually.

That's the problem. Not exports to the EU, or otherwise trade in goods, which represents only a fraction of the UK's GDP.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12496605)
Yeah, well, I tend to lose my patience when self-righteous twats are trying to drown us in a sea of bullshit.

You must lose your patience looking in the mirror in the morning.

DigitalGhost May 9th 2018 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12496653)
Thats a nice sentiment, and yes, quite possible. But that's not the problem. The problem is that any such agreement will never provide the platform for which so much of the UK's economic and functional well being are dependent upon. Businesses depend on unfettered access to the single market. Without customs Union, the massive amount of global trade with the EU that flows through Britain effectively dies. Or will eventually.

That's the problem. Not exports to the EU, or otherwise trade in goods, which represents only a fraction of the UK's GDP.

I agree with you however the problem is that remaining a member of the single market comes at a social cost to the UK that many people in Britain just don't want to pay anymore and it's unfair to just nonchalantly dismiss the concerns of those people or the hardships that some of them have had to face. If the EU was still just about the common market then I doubt anybody in the UK would have a problem with it.

SultanOfSwing May 9th 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496656)
You must lose your patience looking in the mirror in the morning.

Weak.

To be expected from someone who thinks leaving the EU is a good idea, of course.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12496670)
Weak.

To be expected from someone who thinks leaving the EU is a good idea, of course.

I hate to break it to you, but "he's got a small dick" is hardly the most erudite attempt.

Gender-based body shaming - to be expected from a remainiac.

SultanOfSwing May 9th 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496675)
I hate to break it to you, but "he's got a small dick" is hardly the most erudite attempt.

Wasn't supposed to be erudite, it was supposed to piss you off. Seems like it worked.

It was a cheap-shot personal insult, you're reading too much into it.

People who unironically use the word 'remaniac' should be euthanised though.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12496694)
Wasn't supposed to be erudite, it was supposed to piss you off. Seems like it worked.

It was a cheap-shot personal insult, you're reading too much into it.

People who unironically use the word 'remaniac' should be euthanised though.

Oh yes, you've got me, it worked sooo well.

SultanOfSwing May 9th 2018 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496702)
Oh yes, you've got me, it worked sooo well.

Whatever. That you've wasted even a little your time attempting to roast me with your laughably pi replies appeals to my petty side all day long.

la mancha May 9th 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12496662)
I agree with you however the problem is that remaining a member of the single market comes at a social cost to the UK that many people in Britain just don't want to pay anymore and it's unfair to just nonchalantly dismiss the concerns of those people or the hardships that some of them have had to face. If the EU was still just about the common market then I doubt anybody in the UK would have a problem with it.

Exactly. Remainers don’t seem to want to talk about British people and the price they are paying while in the dysfunctional EU. This is what Brexit is about. They say businesses rely on unfettered access to the single market. What businesses actually rely on is unfettered access to a cheap unskilled labour pool.

Red Eric May 9th 2018 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496585)
A customs co-operation would form part of our FTA, that does not mean a customs union that would prevent the UK negotiating other FTAs.

In other words, something that looks extremely like the EU customs union in delivering the free flow of goods so desired by the UK and eliminating the need for a hard border in Ireland but without tying its hands in terms of the ability to negotiate its own trade deals. Tha sounds rather like a customs union to me. And a little unlikely to be conceded by the EU but we'll see.

Lion in Winter May 9th 2018 7:10 pm

Sex-based actually. Not gender.

amideislas May 9th 2018 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12496662)

ahh, yes. Foreigners.

la mancha May 9th 2018 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12496786)
ahh, yes. Foreigners.

No, just unskilled cheap European labour foreigners.

DigitalGhost May 9th 2018 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12496791)
No, just unskilled cheap European labour foreigners.

Yes, basically this. Corporations of all kinds hate immigration controls. That's why they're always petitioning against H1-B limits in the US for example. They want to be able to freely move people around the planet as they see fit because that keeps their costs as low as possible and immigration regulations are the only thing that stop them from doing that. In the UK's case they will also like to utilise the free trade access to Europe that the EU brings but in either case they couldn't give a monkeys about the needs, wishes or security of the British population, or the population of any other country for that matter.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12496752)
Sex-based actually. Not gender.

No one cares about the fine lines.