British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee May 9th 2018 10:05 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12496432)
I have no doubt in my mind that any deal between the UK and the EU would go further then CETA. It would have to.

Why would it 'have to'?

I thought there was a vote to Leave. We appear to be still trying to keep the membership benefits though.

DaveLovesDee May 9th 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496440)
You're conflating a CU with customs cooperation - the typical fake news of the remainiac, just the sought of project fear that happened before the referendum and swung so many votes towards remain.

I wasn't. I was trying to point out that Canada has a customs agreement with the EU, without being in the CU and long before CETA.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12496465)
I think you will find that the people really appreciative of what the HoL is doing are the remainers and those leavers who wanted a soft Brexit, there are many Tory MPs who are delighted that the Lords are creating a withdrawal bill in a way that will BENEFIT the UK

The country had a post-referendum general election where the two largest voted parties by far were both for leaving the SM and CU - the so-called "hard" brexit - both campaigned on manifestos stating this - therefore the HoL is anti-democratic.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 10:23 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12496479)
Why would it 'have to'?

I thought there was a vote to Leave. We appear to be still trying to keep the membership benefits though.

FTAs have nothing to do with membership.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12496482)
I wasn't. I was trying to point out that Canada has a customs agreement with the EU, without being in the CU and long before CETA.

OK, so you agree then that there is no need to be in the EU, in the SM and in the CU (or a CU) to have a customs cooperation agreement between the EU and the UK - we're getting somewhere.

mikelincs May 9th 2018 10:27 am

Why would it 'have to'?

Perhaps that is because, now that the facts are fully known, people are realising that leaving the EU would/will be a huge mistake, the 'Leave' vote was based on a whole series of lies, which people like UKIP admitted to, but they were a huge influence on the outcome,

Red Eric May 9th 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496488)
The country had a post-referendum general election where the two largest voted parties by far were both for leaving the SM and CU - the so-called "hard" brexit - both campaigned on manifestos stating this - therefore the HoL is anti-democratic.

You're making it up :thumbdown:

Th Labour Party manifesto said no such thing.

Red Eric May 9th 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12496432)
I have no doubt in my mind that any deal between the UK and the EU would go further then CETA. It would have to. Canada is notoriously protectionist, especially when it comes to foreign trade and even with NAFTA. In terms of immigration, it is a highly open and welcoming society, possibly the single most welcoming in the world, however it is also a land of unions, workman's comp, high sales taxes and fixed pricing that go back decades.

Even in their dealings with America, they are extremely guarded and that has fuled a lot of the fire with Trump. Previous American administrations just came to accept it so that gave him a platform from which to start firing vitriol.

None of that negates anything I said, although it does raise questions about whether Brexit is, as is claimed by Bluey, an opportunity for the UK to go full-on free trade with the entire world or, in his revised version, an opportunity to negotiate a far better deal with the EU than protectionist Canada managed and still remain outside any single market or cutoms union arrangements with all that those would entail.

Also, I thought Brexit was supposed to be, at least in part, a cry of protest against globalisation. Doesn't removing protectionism and going full-on free trade rather fly in the face of that?

Red Eric May 9th 2018 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496438)
It shows that a CU, whether a CU or The CU is not required for tariff-free free-trade.

WTO most favoured nation rules would not apply if we agreed an FTA.

WTO most favoured nation rules on customs don't apply if the UK negotiates a FTA with the EU without any form of customs union agreement?

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12496573)
WTO most favoured nation rules on customs don't apply if the UK negotiates a FTA with the EU without any form of customs union agreement?

A customs co-operation would form part of our FTA, that does not mean a customs union that would prevent the UK negotiating other FTAs.

SultanOfSwing May 9th 2018 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12496323)
Go **** yourself. Then do it again..... I'm too tired to be putting up with your crap tonight. You may have voted Remain but you repeat the the same crap as Leavers. If you don't like what I post, tough shit.

Some say that every time he posts the word 'remaniac', his dick grows a 64th of an inch. So he'll be up to the worldwide average by the end of next August at this rate.

Ingles May 9th 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12496596)
Some say that every time he posts the word 'remaniac', his dick grows a 64th of an inch. So he'll be up to the worldwide average by the end of next August at this rate.

Oh SOS ! :- there goes' your bitchy streak yet again :egyptian:

SultanOfSwing May 9th 2018 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12496600)
Oh SOS ! :- there goes' your bitchy streak yet again :egyptian:

Yeah, well, I tend to lose my patience when self-righteous twats are trying to drown us in a sea of bullshit.

DigitalGhost May 9th 2018 3:22 pm

Why would it 'have to'?

They're our closest trading partner and a large economy whereas Canada is an ocean away and is economically much smaller.

I don't think that the UK should retain membership benefits after Brexit but I also don't think that we need to necessarily be in the EU to forge a solid and comprehensive trading relationship with them.

DigitalGhost May 9th 2018 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12496570)
None of that negates anything I said, although it does raise questions about whether Brexit is, as is claimed by Bluey, an opportunity for the UK to go full-on free trade with the entire world or, in his revised version, an opportunity to negotiate a far better deal with the EU than protectionist Canada managed and still remain outside any single market or cutoms union arrangements with all that those would entail.

Canada is a really funny country in that regard because I can see both sides of their argument. It's protectionist stance often harms consumers as anybody who has seen the price of milk or dairy products there will tell you. However, at the same time, dairy prices are so high because they have gone out of their way to make sure that their dairy farmers don't get a bum deal and part of that is keeping cheap dairy imports from the US at bay and preventing supermarkets from using cheap foreign labour to kick off a race to the bottom.

Compare that to the UK where milk is sold at rock bottom because the large supermarkets screw the farmers over wholesale prices so they can use it as a means to lure people into their stores. I don't think that the UK would ever adopt a Canadian style system though, simply because consumers in Britain really don't like paying the going rate for things (hence the horse meat scandal etc). The UK is a very different type of consumer economy and if an agreement more akin to NAFTA was signed between the UK and the EU, which is my preference, then I think it could be highly beneficial to both sides.