British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee May 9th 2018 12:23 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496304)
Why do you post this sort of stuff?

Because you stated that;

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496289)
I don't see why - I don't think Canada is in the CU and yet still has an extensive FTA with non-tariffs.

We are talking about being in the CU and then you post something that is nothing to do with being in the CU as your reply.

Canada isn't in the CU, but the link I gave said that the Customs Co-operation is based on an agreement that came into force in 1998, long before the CETA FTA.

It's just the typical remainiac fake new and obfuscation.

Go **** yourself. Then do it again..... I'm too tired to be putting up with your crap tonight. You may have voted Remain but you repeat the the same crap as Leavers. If you don't like what I post, tough shit.

amideislas May 9th 2018 6:01 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12496323)
Because you stated that;

Canada isn't in the CU, but the link I gave said that the Customs Co-operation is based on an agreement that came into force in 1998, long before the CETA FTA.

Go **** yourself. Then do it again..... I'm too tired to be putting up with your crap tonight. You may have voted Remain but you repeat the the same crap as Leavers. If you don't like what I post, tough shit.

it's just more wishful thinking. He wishes Canada were a good example. He still uses it as an example of free trade on services is possible under an FTA. However, that agreement imposes a lot of restrictions on services. May's government flatly rejected that idea long ago, because it doesn't facilitate the services trade Britain so badly needs.

But hey, we can wish it did, and then use it as an example of an FTA that will save Britain from itself. Unfortunately, that still won't solve the problem

Red Eric May 9th 2018 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496289)
I don't see why - I don't think Canada is in the CU and yet still has an extensive FTA with non-tariffs.

:confused: I don't remember saying anything about Canada being in the CU and isn't it your constant claim that the UK can go far further with the EU than the CETA deal?

You'll also note that I said a customs union, not the customs union.

However, to answer the rest of the question, if the UK is outside of any trading bloc and negotiates as a third country with the EU, then as far as I'm aware, WTO most favoured nation rules would apply to both in relation to such an agreement.

007Steve May 9th 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12496187)
Really? Have you heard of WW2?
..... He doesn't do history, BristolUK. The fact that he walks the earth now has nothing to do with the past....
Well it rather depends how insular you are.

..... And there you the true face of Secession... a isolationist ideology founded on a bigoted hostile environment. Apartheid UK.

DigitalGhost May 9th 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12496424)
:confused: I don't remember saying anything about Canada being in the CU and isn't it your constant claim that the UK can go far further with the EU than the CETA deal?

However, to answer the rest of the question, if the UK is outside of any trading bloc and negotiates as a third country with the EU, then as far as I'm aware, WTO most favoured nation rules would apply to both in relation to such an agreement.

I have no doubt in my mind that any deal between the UK and the EU would go further then CETA. It would have to. Canada is notoriously protectionist, especially when it comes to foreign trade and even with NAFTA. In terms of immigration, it is a highly open and welcoming society, possibly the single most welcoming in the world, however it is also a land of unions, workman's comp, high sales taxes and fixed pricing that go back decades.

Even in their dealings with America, they are extremely guarded and that has fuled a lot of the fire with Trump. Previous American administrations just came to accept it so that gave him a platform from which to start firing vitriol.

DigitalGhost May 9th 2018 8:25 am

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12496425)
..... And there you the true face of Secession... a isolationist ideology founded on a bigoted hostile environment. Apartheid UK.

Surely there is a comfortable halfway point between total isolationism and being completely open to the almost unlimited levels of immigration and public service use commanded by European Union.

To compare it with apartheid seems a little silly really.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12496424)

It shows that a CU, whether a CU or The CU is not required for tariff-free free-trade.

WTO most favoured nation rules would not apply if we agreed an FTA.

mikelincs May 9th 2018 8:32 am

The HoL has been hitting the Government with more defeats on the withdrawal buill, it's up to 14 now with 4 new ones just yesterday

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12496323)
Because you stated that;

You're conflating a CU with customs cooperation - the typical fake news of the remainiac, just the sought of project fear that happened before the referendum and swung so many votes towards remain.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12496382)
it's just more wishful thinking. He wishes Canada were a good example. He still uses it as an example of free trade on services is possible under an FTA. However, that agreement imposes a lot of restrictions on services. May's government flatly rejected that idea long ago, because it doesn't facilitate the services trade Britain so badly needs.

But hey, we can wish it did, and then use it as an example of an FTA that will save Britain from itself. Unfortunately, that still won't solve the problem

We will negotiate a bespoke Canada+ FTA that goes far beyond CETA on services etc. This will help save hundreds of thousands of EU jobs.

EMR May 9th 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496440)
You're conflating a CU with customs cooperation - the typical fake news of the remainiac, just the sought of project fear that happened before the referendum and swung so many votes towards remain.

More brexit nonsense on your part.
Project Fear as you call it had exactly the opposite effect.
Did you even read a single newspaper or watch the news during the ore vote period.

Cape Blue May 9th 2018 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12496439)
The HoL has been hitting the Government with more defeats on the withdrawal buill, it's up to 14 now with 4 new ones just yesterday

Yes, it shows how out of touch unelected politicians are with the people. Shocking to see in 21stC Britain really, although expected in the EU.

I guess Corbyn has no control over his party and should go. Labour can then return to the center-right position they were with Blair and come out as full remain.

jimenato May 9th 2018 8:51 am

Leavers: Are you with May who is trying to cobble together some sort of customs union or Boris who thinks that would be 'crazy'.

My, we are lucky to have such people in charge aren't we? :)

Ingles May 9th 2018 9:45 am

Change NV to UK :sneaky:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/09/kiwi-crisis-new-zealand-changes-visa-rules-to-save-bumper-crop-of-national-fruit

mikelincs May 9th 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12496444)
Yes, it shows how out of touch unelected politicians are with the people. Shocking to see in 21stC Britain really, although expected in the EU.

I guess Corbyn has no control over his party and should go. Labour can then return to the center-right position they were with Blair and come out as full remain.

I think you will find that the people really appreciative of what the HoL is doing are the remainers and those leavers who wanted a soft Brexit, there are many Tory MPs who are delighted that the Lords are creating a withdrawal bill in a way that will BENEFIT the UK