British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Apr 18th 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12484201)
Ah, ok. Moving on, rather than moving back to their homelands. Good to know that there's easily available work elsewhere in the EU - you and your pal were making it sound as though the UK were somehow going beyond the call of duty in providing jobs for all.

Could we have a status update on the Brexodus? You're saying half a million (of an estimated 3 million?) are leaving but the other Brexiters are saying they're still flooding in at a faster mass-uncontrolled rate.

I didn’t say half a million out of three million. I said half a million or more. I didn’t even say they are leaving now. Read my post again. I said WHEN half a million or more return to their homeland they will free up those properties etc. etc. You have jumped to a conclusion. I may have implied it but I did not say it.

I could not say whether they are going to Germany or home or to anywhere else and I could not care less as long as they go. As I said, you will have to ask them. My post is part now but mainly in the future tense. That doesn’t mean to say there is easily available work in the EU for them all now, does it? In fact they are still coming to the land that is a job provider so their home nations and governments cannot be up to much. Can you tell me why the UK can provide jobs at the rate we do and other EU nations, who send their unemployed unskilled over to us, cannot?

EMR Apr 18th 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12484271)
I didn’t say half a million out of three million. I said half a million or more. I didn’t even say they are leaving now. Read my post again. I said WHEN half a million or more return to their homeland they will free up those properties etc. etc. You have jumped to a conclusion. I may have implied it but I did not say it.

I could not say whether they are going to Germany or home or to anywhere else and I could not care less as long as they go. As I said, you will have to ask them. My post is part now but mainly in the future tense. That doesn’t mean to say there is easily available work in the EU for them all now, does it? In fact they are still coming to the land that is a job provider so their home nations and governments cannot be up to much. Can you tell me why the UK can provide jobs at the rate we do and other EU nations, who send their unemployed unskilled over to us, cannot?

Something to go with the size of the UK economy.
A massive QE program that financed the UK out of recession.
I do sometimes wonder if remainers ever read a serious newspaper or follow events.

Annetje Apr 18th 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12484279)
I do sometimes wonder if remainers ever read a serious newspaper or follow events.

I do ..... ;)

Cape Blue Apr 18th 2018 3:37 pm

Finally we agree! :lol:

EMR Apr 18th 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12484282)
I do ..... ;)

Whoops, should not try to make soup and type at the same time.
Its a pea, cauliflower with smoked bacon soup using my own chicken stock.
All British ingredients.

la mancha Apr 18th 2018 3:38 pm

Why hasn't the massive ECB QE programme created jobs across the Eurozone? What is the problem?

la mancha Apr 18th 2018 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12484296)
Whoops, should not try to make soup and type at the same time.
Its a pea, cauliflower with smoked bacon soup using my own chicken stock.
All British ingredients.

Bacon??? OMG! Didn’t you read my links about infected British pigs yesterday? Ah, well, too late now…

EMR Apr 18th 2018 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12484303)
Bacon??? OMG! Didn’t you read my links about infected British pigs yesterday? Ah, well, too late now…

The veg was probably picked by migrant labour and the the Pig and poultry farmers employed migrant Labour.
Labour who even keep you fed assuming you buy British veg and not imported from who knows where , sprayed with who knows what.

Red Eric Apr 18th 2018 6:52 pm

I didn’t say half a million out of three million. I said half a million or more.

No, I added the comment about the 3 million - it's the estimated number of citizens of other EU member states resident in the UK, isn't it? I was just checking that we agree on the stats. so we can draw some sort of conclusion about the existence or otherwise of a Brexodus.

I didn’t even say they are leaving now. Read my post again. I said WHEN half a million or more return to their homeland they will free up those properties etc. etc. You have jumped to a conclusion. I may have implied it but I did not say it.

I didn't jump to any conclusion. I asked why they would return to their homeland if they came to work and if, as per your claim, there's no work for them in the homelands you claimed they'd be returning to.

That's when you came back with "Ask them - they seem to be going".

I could not say whether they are going to Germany or home or to anywhere else and I could not care less as long as they go. As I said, you will have to ask them. My post is part now but mainly in the future tense. That doesn’t mean to say there is easily available work in the EU for them all now, does it? In fact they are still coming to the land that is a job provider so their home nations and governments cannot be up to much.

Ah - so they're coming rather than going :confused:

Can you tell me why the UK can provide jobs at the rate we do and other EU nations, who send their unemployed unskilled over to us, cannot?

Certainly.

The UK, as a major economy and gateway into the EU, is growing at a rate which requires it to fish in the EU talent pool in order to sustain that growth with the requisite quantity of suitably qualified and skilled workers with which it has failed to provide itself at a fast enough rate over the past couple or 3 decades. The EU is exceptionally good and quick at supplying suitable candidates and can do so with an absolute minimum of bureaucracy due to the regulatory alignment and mutual recognitions in place.

You'll probably be needing them for a while yet - at least a few years until the final relationship is sorted out to a degree of mutual satisfaction. Try to be nice to any you meet and tell any of the Portuguese amongst them that their country is very nice to incomers and that I hope they are being made to feel equally welcome in the UK.

la mancha Apr 18th 2018 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12484463)
No, I added the comment about the 3 million - it's the estimated number of citizens of other EU member states resident in the UK, isn't it? I was just checking that we agree on the stats. so we can draw some sort of conclusion about the existence or otherwise of a Brexodus.

I didn't jump to any conclusion. I asked why they would return to their homeland if they came to work and if, as per your claim, there's no work for them in the homelands you claimed they'd be returning to.

That's when you came back with "Ask them - they seem to be going".

Ah - so they're coming rather than going :confused:

Certainly.

The UK, as a major economy and gateway into the EU, is growing at a rate which requires it to fish in the EU talent pool in order to sustain that growth with the requisite quantity of suitably qualified and skilled workers with which it has failed to provide itself at a fast enough rate over the past couple or 3 decades. The EU is exceptionally good and quick at supplying suitable candidates and can do so with an absolute minimum of bureaucracy due to the regulatory alignment and mutual recognitions in place.

You'll probably be needing them for a while yet - at least a few years until the final relationship is sorted out to a degree of mutual satisfaction. Try to be nice to any you meet and tell any of the Portuguese amongst them that their country is very nice to incomers and that I hope they are being made to feel equally welcome in the UK.

I didn’t say they are coming rather than going, did I?

The EU talent pool? Talent? Suitably qualified and skilled workers? You want to come round here where I am, mate, and see these suitably qualified and skilled workers.

I know of job agencies here in London that are staffed by East Europeans and I have talked to English people looking for work through these agencies, genuinely looking for a job on the minimum wage on a permanent basis just to get into work, who are being obstructed and rejected because the agencies’ staff only take their own from their eastern EU member states. As for needing them for a while yet, yes, only until we have completely left the EU then they can all p*** off somewhere else. I have spoken to desperate people who want to work but cannot get through the agencies who have a stranglehold on the lower end jobs market. I have seen these jobs for the lower end (forget the EU talent pool) advertised on EU member state government work websites. The sooner this comes to an end the better. One very good reason for Brexit.

SultanOfSwing Apr 18th 2018 7:59 pm

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot that the plural of anecdote was data.

****ing hell.

Red Eric Apr 18th 2018 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12484510)
I have seen these jobs for the lower end (forget the EU talent pool) advertised on EU member state government work websites.

The UK government's been enlisting the aid of the governments of other member states in order to supply its labour requirements?

Sounds like Windrush all over again. Hope they don't suffer from amnesia this time round.

amideislas Apr 18th 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12484510)
I didn’t say they are coming rather than going, did I?

The EU talent pool? Talent? Suitably qualified and skilled workers? You want to come round here where I am, mate, and see these suitably qualified and skilled workers.

I know of job agencies here in London that are staffed by East Europeans and I have talked to English people looking for work through these agencies, genuinely looking for a job on the minimum wage on a permanent basis just to get into work, who are being obstructed and rejected because the agencies’ staff only take their own from their eastern EU member states. As for needing them for a while yet, yes, only until we have completely left the EU then they can all p*** off somewhere else. I have spoken to desperate people who want to work but cannot get through the agencies who have a stranglehold on the lower end jobs market. I have seen these jobs for the lower end (forget the EU talent pool) advertised on EU member state government work websites. The sooner this comes to an end the better. One very good reason for Brexit.

In any case, it's all very bad.

Or is it really really great?

It's hard to tell sometimes.

SultanOfSwing Apr 18th 2018 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12484596)
In any case, it's all very bad.

Or is it really really great?

It's hard to tell sometimes.

If we called it Schroedinger's Brexit, is that too German sounding?

amideislas Apr 18th 2018 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12484600)
If we called it Schroedinger's Brexit, is that too German sounding?

The Germans aren't leaving.