British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 8:17 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12483640)
Yes, the same old argument. If we stuck to your reasoning we would still be paying Victorian wages. Let us look on the bright side: when half a million or more EU migrant workers (whose own nations cannot provide work for them) return to their homeland they will free up all those properties with no takers and we will see rents tumble. The high streets will have more business with British workers spending their wages locally instead of it going to some villages in Romania. Britain is the fourth-largest source of remittances in the world.

Your answer is to do nothing and let rents, utilities, train and bus fares etc. etc. keep rising, while wages remain stagnant so businesses can profit at the expense of the low paid, is that it? Or do you have another solution?

The funny part is that all these liberal virtue-signalers are arguing that the poor will just have to stay poor so they can be magnanimous and welcome the unemployed from the rest of Europe, whereas I, the middle-aged landlord who benefits from the mass-immigration from the EU, am the one who can see the negative impact on wages, accommodation costs etc.

It's a strange world when the Guardian readers advocate for more competition for the working classes so that their middle-class kids can easily do their ski season and they can get a cheap nanny.

Red Eric Apr 17th 2018 8:19 pm

Let us look on the bright side: when half a million or more EU migrant workers (whose own nations cannot provide work for them) return to their homeland they will free up all those properties with no takers and we will see rents tumble.

If they've migrated for work purposes and their own countries can't provide it, why would they move back?

SultanOfSwing Apr 17th 2018 8:21 pm

If we could generate electricity using self-righteousness, this thread would have solved the problem of clean energy in minutes.

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12483619)
The reasons for that include fewer Brits being able to speak foreign languages to a good standard, whereas many Europeans learn English as a second language.

Brits don't need to learn the global language, they already speak it.

Brits living in Spain have a reputation (deserved or not) of sticking to English-speaking areas. I doubt it's true of all Brits, but some will fit the stereotype.
Usual anti-Brit bigotry - how about you discuss the same about Pakistanis in various UK ghettos? Or how about the Polish in the UK and the Polski Schlep's?

The reality is that it's perfectly normal for culturally similar people to group together when in a new country, yet liberals get all snooty about Brits doing it.

Here's a suggestion. Let's increase the minimum wage to £16.50ph. For those working 30hrs pw, this would give them a gross annual income of £25,740, which is above the £25,700 level that the Migration Advisory Service says makes people a net contributor.

Or make it £14.13ph based on a 35hr week. Either way, no-one would qualify for in-work top-ups.
Minimum wages are an extremely blunt instrument and have a range of unintended impacts, best let the market work and supply and demand sort out the issue - once you've removed the expanded supply side reserve pool of labour.

At £16.50 an hour you'd have to hire extra ferries for the mass movements from the East.

EMR Apr 17th 2018 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483668)
As I mentioned already, direct wages are only a part of the costs of goods and services, so a 20% increase in wages might only result in a 5% increase in the costs of goods. And this assumes every single worker gets a 20% increase, rather than just the lower orders.

" just the lower orders ".

You really cannot help yourself can you.
It must be a form of Tourettes.

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12483584)
You're cute ...

... but illiterate. Its*

Your intellect is astounding.

37100 Apr 17th 2018 8:26 pm

Yes, the same old argument. If we stuck to your reasoning we would still be paying Victorian wages. Let us look on the bright side: when half a million or more EU migrant workers (whose own nations cannot provide work for them) return to their homeland they will free up all those properties with no takers and we will see rents tumble. The high streets will have more business with British workers spending their wages locally instead of it going to some villages in Romania. Britain is the fourth-largest source of remittances in the world.

Your answer is to do nothing and let rents, utilities, train and bus fares etc. etc. keep rising, while wages remain stagnant so businesses can profit at the expense of the low paid, is that it? Or do you have another solution?

No, my answer isn't to do nothing. I hope low paid workers will receive a decent wage, but you can't deny that this will increase costs for businesses. Do you seriously think that buisinesses wouldn't pass on the increase?

37100 Apr 17th 2018 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12483682)
If we could generate electricity using self-righteousness, this thread would have solved the problem of clean energy in minutes.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

SultanOfSwing Apr 17th 2018 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483690)
Your intellect is astounding.

Not really but I imagine, comparatively speaking, it would be to the likes of you.

EMR Apr 18th 2018 7:38 am

De la Rue will not challenge or revise its quotes for the our N125 blue passport covers.
Profit before " British "workers.
Maybe la Man can start a crowd fund to subsidise DLR.

EMR Apr 18th 2018 7:39 am

De la Rue will not challenge or revise its quotes for the our New blue passport covers.

la mancha Apr 18th 2018 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12483678)
If they've migrated for work purposes and their own countries can't provide it, why would they move back?

I don't know. You could ask them as they seem to be going somewhere. Maybe they are going to Germany. Hope so.

la mancha Apr 18th 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12483926)
De la Rue will not challenge or revise its quotes for the our New blue passport covers.

I signed the Unite petition. We tried. What did you and others on here do besides take the piss?

jimenato Apr 18th 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12483957)
I signed the Unite petition. We tried. What did you and others on here do besides take the piss?

I voted to remain - that's what I did.

EMR Apr 18th 2018 8:51 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12483957)

You may have tried, DLR did not, they just demanded a higher price.