British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

macliam Apr 17th 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12483519)
Oi, the pot would like a word with you.

Don't you come around here spouting your ABE truisms, you celtic fringe troublemaker, you!! The hole's getting quite large enough without your help!

EMR Apr 17th 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483517)
Blah, blah, blah, racist, blah, blah, prejudiced, blah.

Come back when you have something relevant to say rather than just the usual accusatory SJW drivel.

Anyone who uses phrases like " imported peasants etc " is not worth having a reasoned debate with.
The equivalent of the discovery of something nasty sticking to the bottom of my shoe.

SultanOfSwing Apr 17th 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12483530)
Don't you come around here spouting your ABE truisms, you celtic fringe troublemaker, you!!

OK, I'll be good.

The hole's getting quite large enough without your help!

Careful, now.

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12483518)
When the farmer (or who ever) has to pay the pickers more, he will have to raise his prices to cover the additional cost, other categories while want a rise and the low paid workers will be back to square one.

Sounds like you want poor people to stay poor.

Direct labour is only around a quarter to a third of the final product cost, increasing their salary will not be entirely taken in price increases. It will also drive increased productivity - the true generator of wealth and higher living standards.

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12483519)
Oi, the pot would like a word with you.

I see the munchkin army rides again.

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 6:08 pm

Don't you come around here spouting your ABE truisms, you celtic fringe troublemaker, you!! The hole's getting quite large enough without your help!

And it's banner carriers.

SultanOfSwing Apr 17th 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483580)

You're cute ...

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483581)
And it's banner carriers.

... but illiterate. Its*

macliam Apr 17th 2018 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483580)

Carry on, brave boy, give us more pearls of wisdom.......

37100 Apr 17th 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483579)
Sounds like you want poor people to stay poor.

Direct labour is only around a quarter to a third of the final product cost, increasing their salary will not be entirely taken in price increases. It will also drive increased productivity - the true generator of wealth and higher living standards.

Rubbish! I'd be happy if everyone had a decent wage. The fact is, that even at a quarter or a third, prices would increase, businesses aren't charities and are in to make a bigger profit each year, other workers will want a pay rise and low pay workers will be back to square one.

DaveLovesDee Apr 17th 2018 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483420)
The UK is the least likely to have it's citizens living in other EU countries and those that do are often retired.

The reasons for that include fewer Brits being able to speak foreign languages to a good standard, whereas many Europeans learn English as a second language.

Brits living in Spain have a reputation (deserved or not) of sticking to English-speaking areas. I doubt it's true of all Brits, but some will fit the stereotype.

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483508)
It's not (all) about the numbers employed, it's about the wages of those employed and other externalities.

The UK saving half the countries in Europe by employing their young and desperate does not necessarily help the UK if those jobs are low-paid such that the imports are net negatives to the UK tax coffers, they ramp accommodation costs, suppress wages for the natives and stifle productivity.

We all hope for a continued buoyant economy, but one that is built on improved productivity and high skills, not one built on an underclass of imported peasants living ten to a 4-bed house so they can afford to pick cabbages.

Here's a suggestion. Let's increase the minimum wage to £16.50ph. For those working 30hrs pw, this would give them a gross annual income of £25,740, which is above the £25,700 level that the Migration Advisory Service says makes people a net contributor.

Or make it £14.13ph based on a 35hr week. Either way, no-one would qualify for in-work top-ups.

la mancha Apr 17th 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12483600)
Rubbish! I'd be happy if everyone had a decent wage. The fact is, that even at a quarter or a third, prices would increase, businesses aren't charities and are in to make a bigger profit each year, other workers will want a pay rise and low pay workers will be back to square one.

Yes, the same old argument. If we stuck to your reasoning we would still be paying Victorian wages. Let us look on the bright side: when half a million or more EU migrant workers (whose own nations cannot provide work for them) return to their homeland they will free up all those properties with no takers and we will see rents tumble. The high streets will have more business with British workers spending their wages locally instead of it going to some villages in Romania. Britain is the fourth-largest source of remittances in the world.

Your answer is to do nothing and let rents, utilities, train and bus fares etc. etc. keep rising, while wages remain stagnant so businesses can profit at the expense of the low paid, is that it? Or do you have another solution?

EMR Apr 17th 2018 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12483640)
Yes, the same old argument. If we stuck to your reasoning we would still be paying Victorian wages. Let us look on the bright side: when half a million or more EU migrant workers (whose own nations cannot provide work for them) return to their homeland they will free up all those properties with no takers and we will see rents tumble. The high streets will have more business with British workers spending their wages locally instead of it going to some villages in Romania. Britain is the fourth-largest source of remittances in the world.

Your answer is to do nothing and let rents, utilities, train and bus fares etc. etc. keep rising, while wages remain stagnant so businesses can profit at the expense of the low paid, is that it? Or do you have another solution?

The pigs I see flying over the horizon are at least British pigs.

la mancha Apr 17th 2018 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12483641)
The pigs I see flying over the horizon are at least British pigs.

The more flying over the horizon the better

https://www.farminguk.com/news/Meat-...RSA_44366.html

https://bsas.org.uk/articles/animal-...lth-conditions

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...and-sainsburys

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12483600)

As I mentioned already, direct wages are only a part of the costs of goods and services, so a 20% increase in wages might only result in a 5% increase in the costs of goods. And this assumes every single worker gets a 20% increase, rather than just the lower orders.

amideislas Apr 17th 2018 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483386)
Blah, blah, blah - come back when you have an interesting point to make, otherwise you're just boring us all and will encourage you mod mates to come along and complain about me.

Us? What "us"? It's just you (and the rest of us).