British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje Apr 13th 2018 2:18 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Hey Manch, you've got the link to the new petition against the sacking of the Land Rover personnel please ?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...e_iOSApp_Other

la mancha Apr 13th 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12480717)
I expect manch will be on to it first thing in the morning.

I'll ask him several times just to see if he's supporting British workers.

You silly people with your smarmy comments are a laugh. There was a petition to safeguard British jobs and I signed it. You people did not. Point taken?

EMR Apr 13th 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12481047)
I should imagine many British people are as sick as you are of the foul European meat and poultry they have to eat from animals that have been reared, kept and slaughtered in the most cruel manner. And don't mention the eggs we get from Europe.

So you want product from areas with even ,less regulation.
Brexit , reason to become a vegetarian..

Lion in Winter Apr 13th 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12481047)
I should imagine many British people are as sick as you are of the foul European meat and poultry they have to eat from animals that have been reared, kept and slaughtered in the most cruel manner. And don't mention the eggs we get from Europe.

Sounds like a splendid reason for importing more industrial food from the US and Canada then...

Lion in Winter Apr 13th 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12481073)
You silly people with your smarmy comments are a laugh. There was a petition to safeguard British jobs and I signed it. You people did not. Point taken?

You have no idea who signed it and who didn't. Nor should you.

SultanOfSwing Apr 13th 2018 3:05 pm

It's about time they started to perfect lab grown meat so we don't have to worry about any of this anymore.

Lion in Winter Apr 13th 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12481096)
It's about time they started to perfect lab grown meat so we don't have to worry about any of this anymore.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...a-IsK-hsqzu-gi

SultanOfSwing Apr 13th 2018 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12481104)

Yes. We need replicators too.

TrickyTreeRed Apr 13th 2018 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12480839)
Canada is another country anxious to sell it's hormone filled beef to Europe. A red line that the EU wasn't prepared to pass, but which the UK government seems ok with.

Good point. We Canadians are constantly dropping dead in the streets as a result of eating our beef, chicken, pork, lamb, dairy, aquaculture, fruit and vegetable products.

Maybe we should heed your wisdom and adopt a more EU-friendly lifestyle of eating organically-reared, hormone-free horse meat, as they do in France and Belgium.

jimenato Apr 13th 2018 4:12 pm

Hi manch.:wave:

I did even better - I voted against Brexit in the first place - how about you? :thumbsup:

la mancha Apr 13th 2018 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12481077)
So you want product from areas with even ,less regulation.
Brexit , reason to become a vegetarian..

I already am.

EMR Apr 13th 2018 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12481147)
I already am.

Then you must agree that the lasts thing we need is the importation of foodstuffs that do not meet current standards.
Standards you obviously feel are not strict enough..

37100 Apr 13th 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by TrickyTreeRed (Post 12481126)
Good point. We Canadians are constantly dropping dead in the streets as a result of eating our beef, chicken, pork, lamb, dairy, aquaculture, fruit and vegetable products.

Maybe we should heed your wisdom and adopt a more EU-friendly lifestyle of eating organically-reared, hormone-free horse meat, as they do in France and Belgium.

Congratulations on your daft comment. If you are happy to eat hormones, fine. I'm not.

Actually, I'm rather partial to donkey stew. Horse meat, especially pony, is too sweet for my taste.

TrickyTreeRed Apr 13th 2018 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12481181)
Congratulations on your daft comment. If you are happy to eat hormones, fine. I'm not.

Actually, I'm rather partial to donkey stew. Horse meat, especially pony, is too sweet for my taste.

As they say... You are what you eat.

DaveLovesDee Apr 13th 2018 7:17 pm

A big deal is made of (including a petition by a national newspaper) a rumoured loss of 90 jobs due to a contract being awarded to a foreign company under UK government tendering rules, even though the new company will create 70 UK jobs.

Yet nothing at all over the actual loss of 300 jobs at one UK store chain, and another 1,000 at a UK vehicle manufacturer. The vehicle manufacturer giving Brexit as a reason for the decision.

I presume Carpetright and Land Rover aren't British jobs too then?

And how is it that we're told we have to support a petition to change a government decision on who makes our passports, yet aren't allowed to ask for a referendum confirming the decision to leave the EU? Democracy, eh!