British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Apr 3rd 2018 3:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12475139)
Saying that "a government" can't be trusted to enact certain policies is different than saying "a country" can't be trusted to stand up to it's international obligations and treaties. One refers to a political party, the other refers to the character of a nation.

Bloody pedants. I specifically wrote mine the way I did because I expected this argument. The UK government is Britain in respect of political decisions.

Clear evidence - 0.7% GDP foreign aid, 2% GDP NATO, lend-lease repayment, the past 100 years was the time frame I suggested, if you compare the ability of the UK to be trusted over that period with almost any other EU country I think it's pretty clear.
How does it stack up over the last 50 years, or 30? And commitments aren't only financial, but moral too.

How about the invasion of other countries purely because we disagreed with their leadership, and they had resources we wanted to exploit?

EMR Apr 3rd 2018 3:13 pm

Has anyone told la man that his British driving license is produced by the same company that has been awarded the contract for the new blue passport covers.

EMR Apr 3rd 2018 3:13 pm

Has anyone told la man that his British driving license is produced by the same company that has been awarded the contract for the new blue passport covers.

macliam Apr 3rd 2018 3:14 pm

"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!":lol:

Rules of this forum (it appears)
1) Anyone not agreeing with Cape Blue is a remoaner or remainiac.
2) Opening a response with "Usual eloquent ad-hom from the Celtic fringe." is not dismissive or chauvinistic.
3) Criticism of the UK is out of bounds, but it's OK to say "Irish are playing politics with it."
4) Cape Blue can't be a racist - it's all the others, because "it is something people like you are born into"
5) An ad-hom is whatever Cape Blue says it is, even when it isn't.

I think we've done with this.

Annetje Apr 3rd 2018 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12475187)

2) Opening a response with "Usual eloquent ad-hom from the Celtic fringe." is not dismissive or chauvinistic.
3) Criticism of the UK is out of bounds, but it's OK to say "Irish are playing politics with it."
4) Cape Blue can't be a racist - it's all the others, because "it is something people like you are born into"

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

I did expect this list to be longer ... :nod:

macliam Apr 3rd 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12475199)
:thumbdown::thumbdown:

I did expect this list to be longer ... :nod:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be proscriptive..... I just have other fish to fry.;)

...says he, tipping his caubeen and tickling his pig, whilst dancing off to check the praties. Top o' the mornin to ye!!

jimenato Apr 3rd 2018 4:01 pm

Also - Cape is allowed to utilise ad homs - the rest of us aren't.

Unfortunately I suspect, like most of his type, he's basking in this fame - his type gauge their success in how much they can piss people off.

This is him...

https://comps.canstockphoto.com/fat-...sp21301528.jpg

BristolUK Apr 3rd 2018 4:42 pm

...Anyone not agreeing with Cape Blue is a remoaner or remainiac....

The odd thing is that as a self confessed remainer (stifles laughter) one would expect disagreement to come from Brexiters. :unsure:

la mancha Apr 3rd 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12475189)

No, it isn't.

amideislas Apr 3rd 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12475241)
No, it isn't.

Well, it probably is. But does it actually matter?

You just need to find better stuff to justify your Brexit mistake. I have faith in you. Keep trying.

Cape Blue Apr 3rd 2018 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12475212)
Also - Cape is allowed to utilise ad homs - the rest of us aren't.

Unfortunately I suspect, like most of his type, he's basking in this fame - his type gauge their success in how much they can piss people off.

This is him...

https://comps.canstockphoto.com/fat-...sp21301528.jpg

That does look remarkably like me. :lol:

I started using the odd ad-hom as it seemed to be the norm for in here and you guys told me to man-up about it. I use them very sparingly and only when accurate.

SultanOfSwing Apr 3rd 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12475272)
That does look remarkably like me. :lol:

I started using the odd ad-hom as it seemed to be the norm for in here and you guys told me to man-up about it. I use them very sparingly and only when accurate.

Oh, lighten up, we're British aren't we? We take the piss out of each other - it's what we do.

Cape Blue Apr 3rd 2018 5:25 pm

You're boring me now, your lack of comprehension skills and understanding of the English language makes for a dull discussion.

All of the above is complete rubbish and strawmen, but it's not worth contending them as you won't understand the replies.

amideislas Apr 3rd 2018 5:30 pm

Yeah, you tell 'em, blueboy.

Cape Blue Apr 3rd 2018 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12475274)
Oh, lighten up, we're British aren't we? We take the piss out of each other - it's what we do.

It's better when it's funny rather than repetitive and dull and coming from the usual petulant suspects when they're been comprehensively schooled in a discussion.