British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Apr 3rd 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474695)
Unlike you I am not a practiced online ad-hom troll.

Don't put yourself down like that, of course you are.


Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474712)
Ah sha, grá mo chroí, there's a sense of pride welling up..... Culchies of the world unite! :thumbsup:

:lol:

Not sure I grew up far enough away from Belfast to be what you'd consider a culchie, but I'll go with it ...

Cape Blue Apr 3rd 2018 1:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12475029)
"Racist - a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another". I'd say immediately dismissing my argument because I'm Irish and brooking no criticism of the UK meets that definition. Equally distorting history to suit your argument does you no favours - or would you prefer Chauvinist?

You still haven't looked up the meaning of ad-hominem either, have you? Go back to your bubble, the real world is too tough for you.

I'm not racist (and ignoring I don't know what race you are) and do not believe being British is superior to Irish.

I didn't immediately dismiss your argument due to you being Irish, I commented that like many of your kin you exhibit an unpleasant ABE tendency that you have learned from birth.

I can happily accept criticism of the UK, just not the blanket "the UK can't be trusted" sort of shite that is handed out by many Brit/English haters.

Ad-hom - if it makes you feel better:

(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
Calling me a dick is clearly an ad-hom, as is calling me a dinosaur, racist etc etc - they do not address my argument or position's logic or basis, they are purely directed at me because you are unable to counter the argument and are throwing your toys out of the pram.

Cape Blue Apr 3rd 2018 1:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12475053)
Would this be a good moment to mention that Ireland crushed England in Six Nations a couple of weeks ago :p

Come on Cape, I know a sense of humour isn't allowed post Brexit, but really. Get a grip man.

As usual the snide playground bully turns up to poke from the sides.

DaveLovesDee Apr 3rd 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12475131)
As usual the snide playground bully turns up to poke from the sides.

Can someone order a sense of humour for Cape Blue? :p

Lion in Winter Apr 3rd 2018 2:05 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12475131)
As usual the snide playground bully turns up to poke from the sides.

Ah, come on, it's not that bad. They'll probably do better next year.

Cape Blue Apr 3rd 2018 2:07 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12474989)
I don't think the UK government can be trusted either.

Why British people don’t trust the government any more – and what can be done about it

UK Government ‘can’t be trusted to handle immigration’

Government 'can't be trusted' on promises to the North, regional leaders say

A government that for the last 3 elections, have made promises to bring migration down to 'tens of thousands' without making any reduction in the number of migrants they have sole control of, they make promises they have no intention of keeping.

Those at the bottom have suffered years of 'austerity' and 1% or less pay rises, while those at the top have seen massive pay rises and tax cuts.

You say 'in the face of clear evidence'. What evidence is that?

I'm English, and I like to laugh the misfortunes of the English teams. It's not because I'm anti-English, it's because I'm fed-up that in any major tournament the media and the public expect the national teams to win the tournament. Our teams aren't good enough for that at this time, and even the 'golden generation of Beckham, Scholes and co couldn't do it. The hype is just ridiculous.

Germany overhauled their football coaching set-up years ago, and are doing better now and producing more world-class players. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland need to improve the coaching and development of players. The current system doesn't work.

I'd love any of our national teams to win the World Cup, Euros, Rugby World Cup, 6 Nations and whatever the cricket equivalents are, but we're not going to anytime soon, despite the hype.

Take the England football team. Harry Kane is probably the only English player who would be in the top-20 of European players, likewise Gareth Bale for Wales. And who'd replace them when they're injured or they retire from international football?

Saying that "a government" can't be trusted to enact certain policies is different than saying "a country" can't be trusted to stand up to it's international obligations and treaties. One refers to a political party, the other refers to the character of a nation.

Clear evidence - 0.7% GDP foreign aid, 2% GDP NATO, lend-lease repayment, the past 100 years was the time frame I suggested, if you compare the ability of the UK to be trusted over that period with almost any other EU country I think it's pretty clear.

Yes, laughing at your own country is frequently the only way to accept sporting performance, but that is not what we are talking about.

How about if you laughed if Germany lost to Spain, laughed if Germany lost to Italy, always cheered the other side when they played against Germany, always want Germany to lose regardless of who they are playing? You know, because of the war and all that.

That would be a petty and nasty way of living - and it is this ABE that many Celts suffer from - BBC News - What's behind Anyone But England?

amideislas Apr 3rd 2018 2:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12475131)
As usual the snide playground bully turns up to poke from the sides.

You're a riot! And a hypocrite too. Keep up the good work!

SultanOfSwing Apr 3rd 2018 2:12 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12475131)
As usual the snide playground bully turns up to poke from the sides.

Why are you the way that you are?


Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12475138)
Ah, come on, it's not that bad. They'll probably do better next year.

There's still the World Cup to look forward to ...

Lion in Winter Apr 3rd 2018 2:14 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12475142)


There's still the World Cup to look forward to ...

There's nothing I enjoy more than a good penalty shootout.

SultanOfSwing Apr 3rd 2018 2:21 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12475147)
There's nothing I enjoy more than a good penalty shootout.

Ah, so you're cautiously optimistic that they'll reach the second round, then ...

:scarper:

Lion in Winter Apr 3rd 2018 2:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12475158)
Ah, so you're cautiously optimistic that they'll reach the second round, then ...

:scarper:

Bloody Celts :frown: You know what we need? Beaker people. The Beaker people would have supported England properly. :frown: :frown:

SultanOfSwing Apr 3rd 2018 2:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12475167)
Bloody Celts :frown: You know what we need? Beaker people. The Beaker people would have supported England properly. :frown: :frown:

I can't talk anyway, don't forget how the Swiss paid off that referee to pretend that was a handball in the qualifiers ...

While I think England might actually make the quarter finals (though IMO the last really good English World Cup squad was the one from 1990), I'm cheering for Iceland this year anyway. And Germany, I always like to watch Germans play football.

Lion in Winter Apr 3rd 2018 2:38 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12475168)
I can't talk anyway, don't forget how the Swiss paid off that referee to pretend that was a handball in the qualifiers ...

While I think England might actually make the quarter finals (though IMO the last really good English World Cup squad was the one from 1990), I'm cheering for Iceland this year anyway. And Germany, I always like to watch Germans play football.

I didn't even know Iceland had a football team :o I like the country though - they told the banks to f off after the banking crisis so they didn't bankrupt their own country.

SultanOfSwing Apr 3rd 2018 2:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12475169)
I didn't even know Iceland had a football team :o I like the country though - they told the banks to f off after the banking crisis so they didn't bankrupt their own country.

Iceland knocked England out of the Euros in 2016 :lol:

They're the smallest country ever to reach the finals, with a population of 335,000, or about 1.9 Oxfords.

jimenato Apr 3rd 2018 2:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12475131)
As usual the snide playground bully turns up to poke from the sides.

:rofl::rofl:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Og8Ez56qwf8/hqdefault.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.