British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Apr 2nd 2018 5:39 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474502)
DNA testing is an interesting side-track and throws up the odd mystery - but the whole area of migration, language and heritage is a mish-mash of theory and pseudo-science mixed up with centruries of acquisition and invasion, as a quick read of the comments will show you.

The only "Celts" in Europe are identified by their language, the Brythonic (or Brittonic) who spoke P-Celtic (Breton, Welsh, Cornish) and the Gaelic (or Goidelic) who spoke Q-Celtic (Irish, Scots and Manx). The Celts spread from central Europe across France and the Brythonic branch moved through Brittany into mainland Britain (the Picts were ethnolinguistically Brythonic), whereas the Gaels appear to have gone down through Northern Spain and on to Ireland. Scotii is the Latin name for the Gaelic people of Dál Riata - which encompassed Western Scotland. Dál Riata merged with the Pictish kingdom to become Alba, the first united Scotland.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._in_Europe.png
Clear now?:sneaky:

It would appear, based on my 'genetic community' that my distant ancestors were the people of Dál Riata. I'm only Ulster Scot by plantation (sorry :o), being of pretty much western/central Scottish extraction in general.

Celtic nonetheless, I would imagine, though I have a trace of Scandinavian in me too, so someone probably slept with a Viking way back when.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474506)
I don't know, you may be right. I don't remember properly. There was the whole "proto Celt" thing and I'm not sure when they officially became Celt.

It's almost as if humans have been doing nothing but migrate for near enough the entirety of our 200,000 and some odd years on Earth, isn't it ... ?

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474509)
As has been said, it depends whether you follow the genes, the language or the culture. Whether humanity started in Africa or anywhere else, it had to spread from there to other places. Every so often linguistic or cultural or genetic mutations occurred and we get "hotspots" like Hallstatt and La Tène. But they came from somewhere else originally, so how far do you keep chasing back?

Toto has a song that sheds some light on where we might be able to stop. Bless the rains.

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474509)
Fail on History for some it seems (small surprise there)...... and I'm sure you're grateful to the English for being so "Gracious", eh?
Oh, sorry, I'm an ABE Celt, it seems, so should therefore be attacking you, not explaining things!! Obviously, as a gael, I have more in common with the Spanish and Portuguese than the English ...... but, hold on, so do you!!

Do I get a pass from my Scottish background? We'll forget about the trifle of my dad being born in England, right? At least he was a northerner, and they left for Belfast when he was two ...

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12474547)
And further, what exactly is a "remainiac"? Anyone who questions the wisdom of Brexit? Well, that's "Democratic". Especially considering how questionable the entire exercise has become.

And what about those leave voters who've come to realise they were sold a red herring? Are they also "remainiacs"?

Whenever anyone uses the term "remainiac" all I can think of is this utterly blameless vegetable.

https://www.ocado.com/productImages/...d27d16ebbaed7b

Red Eric Apr 2nd 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474555)
Whenever anyone uses the term "remainiac" all I can think of is this utterly blameless vegetable.

I'm not sure it's entirely blameless - it bears more than a passing resemblance to Boris Johnson.

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474549)
It would appear, based on my 'genetic community' that my distant ancestors were the people of Dál Riata. I'm only Ulster Scot by plantation (sorry :o), being of pretty much western/central Scottish extraction in general.

Celtic nonetheless, I would imagine, though I have a trace of Scandinavian in me too, so someone probably slept with a Viking way back when.

It's almost as if humans have been doing nothing but migrate for near enough the entirety of our 200,000 and some odd years on Earth, isn't it ... ?

Toto has a song that sheds some light on where we might be able to stop. Bless the rains.

Do I get a pass from my Scottish background? We'll forget about the trifle of my dad being born in England, right? At least he was a northerner, and they left for Belfast when he was two ...

And where does any of this leave me? I haven't done the genetic testing thing, but known ancestry includes Irish, Anglo-Norman-turned-Anglo-Irish, bit of Welsh, plain Norman, and a bit of Nordic something given that one of the family surnames is from Old Norse. a)Will I be allowed to remain in the UK come the Brexit dawn and b)who am I supposed to hate?

SultanOfSwing Apr 2nd 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474564)
And where does any of this leave me? I haven't done the genetic testing thing, but known ancestry includes Irish, Anglo-Norman-turned-Anglo-Irish, bit of Welsh, plain Norman, and a bit of Nordic something given that one of the family surnames is from Old Norse. a)Will I be allowed to remain in the UK come the Brexit dawn and b)who am I supposed to hate?

We'll have to consult maclaim for a final word, but I'd say you're Celtic enough to get a pass.

a) Who knows, or dares to dream?

b) Chelsea.

EMR Apr 2nd 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474555)

When I think of bremaniac I see a turnip.

macliam Apr 2nd 2018 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474549)

Bad news for your Unionist buddies, Dál Riata covered Ulster and Western Scotland, so you just came home! As for your Dad (ABE Celt, must be careful...), I'm happy to let him off - sounds like he must have been part of the diaspora too if your DNA is so specific.

Me, I'm happy to include all who don't exclude themselves - a lifetime away has taught me that.

macliam Apr 2nd 2018 6:10 pm

You sound like a Dubliner - therefore b) is either Culchies (everyone else on the island) or South/Northsiders (depending on where abouts in the city you are), or both! ....... on a), you might have to ask someone else!

amideislas Apr 2nd 2018 6:11 pm

Aside from Europeans, you could hate the Japanese for preferring to do business with the EU. How about the Americans? They'd be hard pressed to find England on a globe (even the president). They don't hold their fork properly anyway (the Brit-hating Japanese refuse to even use a fork). Canadians stole our free trade deal. Hate them. I have lots of other suggestions...

DaveLovesDee Apr 2nd 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474439)

You do realise that Jonathan Pie is a satirical fictional character, right? He's a caricature of a Leave reporter.

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474569)
We'll have to consult maclaim for a final word, but I'd say you're Celtic enough to get a pass.

a) Who knows, or dares to dream?

b) Chelsea.

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474584)
You sound like a Dubliner - therefore b) is either Culchies (everyone else on the island) or South/Northsiders (depending on where abouts in the city you are), or both! ....... on a), you might have to ask someone else!

I think I'll focus on Chelsea, that seems more straightforward, espcially since I went to a school in the shadow of the Bridge.

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12474563)
I'm not sure it's entirely blameless - it bears more than a passing resemblance to Boris Johnson.

Fair point.

SultanOfSwing Apr 2nd 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474582)
Bad news for your Unionist buddies, Dál Riata covered Ulster and Western Scotland, so you just came home! As for your Dad (ABE Celt, must be careful...), I'm happy to let him off - sounds like he must have been part of the diaspora too if your DNA is so specific.

Me, I'm happy to include all who don't exclude themselves - a lifetime away has taught me that.

Ian Paisley himself said he was both an Ulsterman and an Irishman, so the unionists can make of that what they will :lol:

Both my mum and dad's lines are Scottish if you go back far enough (something like 4/5 generations). My dad just happened to be born in Lancashire but pending verification from him, I think both his parents were from Belfast and just happened to be living there at the time.

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474584)

Ah, she's a West Brit, then :lol:

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474598)
I think I'll focus on Chelsea, that seems more straightforward, espcially since I went to a school in the shadow of the Bridge.

There you go.

Cape Blue Apr 2nd 2018 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12474460)
Not asking for a second referendum on stay or leave. I think we should have a referendum on deal or no deal Brexit once we know what the deal is.

I presume pointing out facts like 37% of the population voted Leave, and that the referendum could not be legally binding means that I am more able to respond without calling you childish names. I am a Remainer, not a remainiac or remoaner.

So your vote options will be:

(a). Agree the FTA and brexit

(b). Don't agree the FTA and brexit

Is that it?

Cape Blue Apr 2nd 2018 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12474588)
You do realise that Jonathan Pie is a satirical fictional character, right? He's a caricature of a Leave reporter.

He explicitly states he is a remainer in this video, in the vast majority of his videos he is dissing leavers, occasionally he skewers remainiacs as crazies. You are, as usual, completely wrong.