British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Watchpost Apr 2nd 2018 3:34 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12474452)
I guess UK immigration at the RoI-NI land border will be outsourced to the RoI immigration authorities.

Cue the petition to safeguard British jobs.

DaveLovesDee Apr 2nd 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474431)
You're a 37%er and a second referendumer - they are remainiac traits.

Not asking for a second referendum on stay or leave. I think we should have a referendum on deal or no deal Brexit once we know what the deal is.

I presume pointing out facts like 37% of the population voted Leave, and that the referendum could not be legally binding means that I am more able to respond without calling you childish names. I am a Remainer, not a remainiac or remoaner.

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474449)
How's the weather on your planet today? :blink:

:blink: indeed.

Also ironic, given the actual origin of the celtic peoples. And in particular, the genetic orgins of the people who inhabit Ireland.

https://owlcation.com/stem/Irish-Blood-Genetic-Identity

SultanOfSwing Apr 2nd 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474462)
:blink: indeed.

Also ironic, given the actual origin of the celtic peoples. And in particular, the genetic orgins of the people who inhabit Ireland.

https://owlcation.com/stem/Irish-Blood-Genetic-Identity

That's an interesting read. For some reason I had it in my head that the Celts came from Central Asia, not Central Europe. I'm a numpty. Though (apart from unexplained European Jewish, and Caucasus DNA) I am apparently Celtic as ****, with most of my ancestry being Scottish :)

jimenato Apr 2nd 2018 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474431)
You're a 37%er and a second referendumer - they are remainiac traits.

No they're not.

macliam Apr 2nd 2018 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474430)
I am talking about ABE Celts who like you, show their bigoted dislike of the UK in many of their post and actions.

Another ad-hom from the master of the dismissive response! Please demonstrate a post in which I show such traits, except in your imagination. There is only one bigot in this conversation.

Yes, we'd signed up to a range of treaties with the EU and now we are negotiating to leave them due to the democratic vote in the UK.

Which is exactly what I said must happen - unfortunately (and it may be news to you) it takes two to negotiate and there is a need to reach an accommodation.

Oh come on, the UK was most gracious in allowing Irish people to move and work in the UK, it's not like it happens much the other way around.

I'd suggest you read your own history before you start to spout. The CTA was agreed following the treaty ending the Anglo-Irish war and at the request of the UK government, so hardly "gracious". It sealed agreement on the 499km porous border and removed the need for the UK to patrol it. It also assured the UK access to Irish ports, dealt with the issue of people born in Ireland under British rule and the status of those born in Northern Ireland after partition.
Finally, a quick look at the Irish pages of this very website might show you that there are quite a few UK citizens who choose to retire in Ireland.

But hey, why let the truth get in the way of your paranoia?

DaveLovesDee Apr 2nd 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12474477)
No they're not.

He likes using labels to denigrate people.

jimenato Apr 2nd 2018 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474439)
Would remainers be happy with another referendum if they had won? Would they respect brexiters quoting 37% and saying remainers didn't know what they voted for as they were too thick/racist etc?

Would remainers think that democracy was followed if being told by the Gov it would respect the vote the gov then said "lets have a second vote as things weren't clear"?

Pie time.https://www.facebook.com/bbcthree/vi...5637772295787/

Everyone can see that the "second referendum to approve the agreement" is just a remainiac way to get ab do-over, it fools no one.

It would be a disastrous negotiating tactic because the EU would be dishing out stick not carrot - they would push the agenda of a hard brexit from the EU side with no FTA and so-on to scare people into staying.

They are against the vote for two reasons - one is the fundamental democracy of the elite running roughshod over out democracy and demanding a do-over, the other is the fear of losing as the elite have been pushing project fear hard and fast ever since losing in 2016.

I've already explained why this might be so - size is not everything.

I can see why you think the way you do if you get your ideas from Pie.:rolleyes:

Anyway the elites haven't been pushing project fear at all.

The elites have been saying things like 'Brexit is Brexit', 'The EU can go whistle' and 'Brexit will be the easiest thing in human history'.

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474473)
That's an interesting read. For some reason I had it in my head that the Celts came from Central Asia, not Central Europe. I'm a numpty. Though (apart from unexplained European Jewish, and Caucasus DNA) I am apparently Celtic as ****, with most of my ancestry being Scottish :)

I think it's both, in that there were several "flows". I believe orginally they came from down India way, into Europe.

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12474481)
He likes using labels to denigrate people.

Tbh, I think he's just a sixth-former engaged in trolling. At least it all reads that way.

SultanOfSwing Apr 2nd 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474491)
I think it's both, in that there were several "flows". I believe orginally they came from down India way, into Europe.

Ah, then I'm not going nuts :D

I was thinking maybe Kazakhstan direction, somewhere between there and the Caucasus.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474492)
Tbh, I think he's just a sixth-former engaged in trolling. At least it all reads that way.

You need to pass your GSCEs to be a 6th former.

macliam Apr 2nd 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474473)

DNA testing is an interesting side-track and throws up the odd mystery - but the whole area of migration, language and heritage is a mish-mash of theory and pseudo-science mixed up with centruries of acquisition and invasion, as a quick read of the comments will show you.

The only "Celts" in Europe are identified by their language, the Brythonic (or Brittonic) who spoke P-Celtic (Breton, Welsh, Cornish) and the Gaelic (or Goidelic) who spoke Q-Celtic (Irish, Scots and Manx). The Celts spread from central Europe across France and the Brythonic branch moved through Brittany into mainland Britain (the Picts were ethnolinguistically Brythonic), whereas the Gaels appear to have gone down through Northern Spain and on to Ireland. Scotii is the Latin name for the Gaelic people of Dál Riata - which encompassed Western Scotland. Dál Riata merged with the Pictish kingdom to become Alba, the first united Scotland.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._in_Europe.png
Clear now?:sneaky:

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474496)

I was thinking maybe Kazakhstan direction, somewhere between there and the Caucasus.

I don't know, you may be right. I don't remember properly. There was the whole "proto Celt" thing and I'm not sure when they officially became Celt.

macliam Apr 2nd 2018 5:00 pm

As has been said, it depends whether you follow the genes, the language or the culture. Whether humanity started in Africa or anywhere else, it had to spread from there to other places. Every so often linguistic or cultural or genetic mutations occurred and we get "hotspots" like Hallstatt and La Tène. But they came from somewhere else originally, so how far do you keep chasing back?

You need to pass your GSCEs to be a 6th former.

Fail on History for some it seems (small surprise there)...... and I'm sure you're grateful to the English for being so "Gracious", eh?
Oh, sorry, I'm an ABE Celt, it seems, so should therefore be attacking you, not explaining things!! Obviously, as a gael, I have more in common with the Spanish and Portuguese than the English ...... but, hold on, so do you!!

amideislas Apr 2nd 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12474477)
No they're not.

And further, what exactly is a "remainiac"? Anyone who questions the wisdom of Brexit? Well, that's "Democratic". Especially considering how questionable the entire exercise has become.

And what about those leave voters who've come to realise they were sold a red herring? Are they also "remainiacs"?