British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Apr 2nd 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12474076)
Quite correct the argument against wasteful spending can be applied to any government spending, in particular to support inefficient companies to save jobs. Such spending generally retards economic growth, in particular for companies that may not be at the forefront of technological progress or growing industries.

Like The French government?

la mancha Apr 2nd 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12474253)
Meanwhile...

This is pretty scathing. And frankly, not particularly untrue or misleading...

Of course the ultras are afraid: their Brexit now looks toxic

...why are the triumphant Brexiters so furious, suspicious and vengeful? They won their four-decade dream of “freedom” and “control”. Why are they so bloody miserable? Instead of hope, the victors see saboteurs and conspiracies everywhere.

Pass the crisps, Ami.

la mancha Apr 2nd 2018 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12474255)
Well, Japan seems to think so (along with their seemingly discarded industrial giants operating in the UK).

Japan says trade deal with EU is a greater priority than deal with UK

Make it two bags.

la mancha Apr 2nd 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12474259)
I'm wondering how out three Brexiteers (Cape, Manch and Fred) think about each other - there certainly seems to be some differences in their thinking.

Cape thinks that the fate of Gibraltarians and Northern Irish is mere collateral damage compared to the vastly superior numbers of the rest of us.

I wonder what Fred thinks about that - the fate of Gibraltar subordinate to the needs of the UK.

Then there's Manch who seems really concerned about a relatively few jobs (well none really) and has been banging on about some silly petition to save these jobs.

I wonder how that balances with Cape's somewhat cavalier attitude to nearly two million people.

I suspect that these anomalies are rife in the wider Leaver psyche.

No, I am not concerned about a relatively few jobs and some silly petition. (Great words, these Remainers use – silly petition to help safeguard British jobs? Silly?) I am concerned about doing something.

jimenato Apr 2nd 2018 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12474391)
No, I am not concerned about a relatively few jobs and some silly petition. (Great words, these Remainers use – silly petition to help safeguard British jobs? Silly?) I am concerned about doing something.

Don't get all huffy snowflake.

Do you mean like - "Something must be done - this is something"?

I'm still interested in why you picked this particular possibility of job cuts to "do something" about. I'm assuming you don't do this sort of thing usually when a few job cuts are threatened (not that they have been) - or do you?

la mancha Apr 2nd 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12474395)

I'm still interested in why you picked this particular possibility of job cuts to "do something" about. I'm assuming you don't do this sort of thing usually when a few job cuts are threatened (not that they have been) - or do you?

Come on, Jim, to come back with ‘snowflake’ shows a deep lack on imagination on your part. Maybe that is why you voted Remain?

la mancha Apr 2nd 2018 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12474395)

I missed the addition. I picked this petition because it was there. I have already stated that I sign any petition to safeguard British jobs if I see the petition. Doing 'something' is a protest against the loss of British Jobs. Ask Unite. They had a petition. I just signed it.

amideislas Apr 2nd 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12474388)
Pass the crisps, Ami.

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12474390)
Make it two bags.

:popcorn:

Well, it's pretty obvious that Brexit is no longer about anything that would result in some sort of upside for the UK. It's now just a religious thing. And damage control. And that explains why the hard brexiteers are so defensive.

Surely, they realise they're going to be blamed for this? Or perhaps they just reckon they can blame it all on the EU (but really, that's so "yesterday". I think that time has passed).

And global business, well, they don't possess the same worship for the union jack, so, for them, it's simply about the bottom line. And unless the market they signed up for continues unimpeded... Well, you already know that, but it's against your religion to acknowledge it.

So, c'est la vie...

jimenato Apr 2nd 2018 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12474399)
I missed the addition. I picked this petition because it was there. I have already stated that I sign any petition to safeguard British jobs if I see the petition. Doing 'something' is a protest against the loss of British Jobs. Ask Unite. They had a petition. I just signed it.

Ask Unite? I'm a Thatcherite Tory! at least I was so I don't go much on what Unions say.

Anyway this passport thing is such a non-issue and doesn't actually involve the loss of any jobs so I fail to see why anyone should get particularly aerated about it - I didn't.

It's obviously important to you. I don't really know why - but there you go.

amideislas Apr 2nd 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12474399)

It's a passport colour. It's meaningless. And no jobs are at risk. Lots of jobs from other idiotic ideas are at risk though... What about those?

Don't you have a dishwasher loading class to go to?

Cape Blue Apr 2nd 2018 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474333)
As someone who has lived, worked and paid taxes in the UK for most of my adult life, I thought dinosaurs like you were extinct. I think we all know your "type" - try using that excuse posting about someone who is black or jewish. Perhaps the attitude YOU demonstrate is the real problem.

I am talking about ABE Celts who like you, show their bigoted dislike of the UK in many of their post and actions.

"Democracy" has nothing to do with treaties. Treaties are legal bi-partisan agreements - that is why they need to be renegotiated. Merely walking away from them demonstrates bad faith and carries consequences. One consequence is that you lose trust - and you will know that trust is the basis for all future negotiation..... not a good start to all the trade deals the UK will need going forward.
Yes, we'd signed up to a range of treaties with the EU and now we are negotiating to leave them due to the democratic vote in the UK.

Talking of bi-partisan treaties, the CTA is one and was not "granted by their friendly neighbour", it was negotiated as part of treaty discussions, for the UK's benefit as well as Ireland's - so your view of it is just another misconception or deliberate misinformation.
Oh come on, the UK was most gracious in allowing Irish people to move and work in the UK, it's not like it happens much the other way around.

Cape Blue Apr 2nd 2018 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12474339)
Yet you keep referring to me as a Remainiac, when I know there are improvements that could be made within the EU. But those changes aren't going to be influenced by a UK outside of the EU.

You're a 37%er and a second referendumer - they are remainiac traits.

Cape Blue Apr 2nd 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12474370)
If the majority indicate that based on what we now know, or have a different opinion, why shouldn't there be a second vote? There is much division on the issue, a second vote would put the issue to rest and could be a wonderful negotiating tactic at the very least. Remainers would know there wouldn't be time for a third vote, Brexiters emphasize the will of the people. Imagine announcing a third vote, with firm EU agreement that the Uk could revoke its Article 50 process- German business would then put a lot more pressure on Merkel to offer some concessions to get a vote for the UK to stay in the EU.

Would remainers be happy with another referendum if they had won? Would they respect brexiters quoting 37% and saying remainers didn't know what they voted for as they were too thick/racist etc?

Would remainers think that democracy was followed if being told by the Gov it would respect the vote the gov then said "lets have a second vote as things weren't clear"?

Pie time.https://www.facebook.com/bbcthree/vi...5637772295787/

Everyone can see that the "second referendum to approve the agreement" is just a remainiac way to get ab do-over, it fools no one.

It would be a disastrous negotiating tactic because the EU would be dishing out stick not carrot - they would push the agenda of a hard brexit from the EU side with no FTA and so-on to scare people into staying.

Brexiters seem to be against another vote simply as they realize the public has now had more time to consider the issue and possibly vote a resounding no.
They are against the vote for two reasons - one is the fundamental democracy of the elite running roughshod over out democracy and demanding a do-over, the other is the fear of losing as the elite have been pushing project fear hard and fast ever since losing in 2016.

The other issue is whether there is ANY indication the UK could strike better trade deals than the EU with its larger market can do.
I've already explained why this might be so - size is not everything.

SultanOfSwing Apr 2nd 2018 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474430)
I am talking about ABE Celts who like you, show their bigoted dislike of the UK in many of their post and actions.

How's the weather on your planet today? :blink:

DaveLovesDee Apr 2nd 2018 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474318)
The UK will allow EU citizens to come to the UK without visas for vacations etc, obviously the Irish have an earlier agreement to move and live and work in the UK granted by their friendly neighbour.

I guess UK immigration at the RoI-NI land border will be outsourced to the RoI immigration authorities.