British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Mar 29th 2018 5:36 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

What is so bloody important that £400+ million has to be spent on passports anyway?

The whole thing seems petty and childish.

amideislas Mar 29th 2018 6:05 am

So, I'm having my coffee this morning, and googling "Brexit", here are the first two results:

Brexit: Theresa May vows to keep UK 'strong and united' | BBC News

Portrait of Brexit Britain: A Divided Nation Makes a Journey Into the Unknown | Bloomberg

Irony.

EMR Mar 29th 2018 6:44 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12471997)
Do you mean to say passports will come down in price if they are made outside of the UK?

You are happy to pay over 100million just to have them produced in the UK.
More fool you.

EMR Mar 29th 2018 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12472156)
No there won't always be a willing one, not when they have plenty of work there won't, otherwise you could keep shopping around till you find one who will work for 1p/hr.

If you shop at Lidl rather than Waitrose you are shopping around for a cheaper deal. That is the market.

In the " real world " people shop at Lidl because they cannot afford to shop at Waitrose.
That is the market.
Just as companies pay the maximum wages they can afford without hitting profits or necessitating a price rise making them uncompetitive.
That is the market.

Cape Blue Mar 29th 2018 7:01 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12472378)
In the " real world " people shop at Lidl because they cannot afford to shop at Waitrose.
That is the market.
Just as companies pay the maximum wages they can afford without hitting profits or necessitating a price rise making them uncompetitive.
That is the market.

I hate to break it to you EMR, but companies pay the minimum wages they can get away with, commensurate with obtaining enough staff of the right calibre to do the job.

Fredbargate Mar 29th 2018 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12471999)
Or maybe creating a situation where people with current, up to date passports will now have to buy a new one is the rip off.

You're not going to try to pretend that those Tory ****s are going to replace them with free blue passports now, are you?

I receive free passports :p

EMR Mar 29th 2018 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12472382)
I hate to break it to you EMR, but companies pay the minimum wages they can get away with, commensurate with obtaining enough staff of the right calibre to do the job.

It's called the market place.Thats what we have been telling you for months.
Employers set wage levels not employees.
At last you have seen the light .

Cape Blue Mar 29th 2018 7:24 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12472386)
It's called the market place.Thats what we have been telling you for months.
Employers set wage levels not employees.
At last you have seen the light .

The minimum they can get away with is set by the employees taking the jobs.

EMR Mar 29th 2018 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12472387)

That was the mantra of the Victorian, mill and mine owners.
We send children up chimneys and down mines because they are so desperate for the pittance we are prepared to pay them.

Annetje Mar 29th 2018 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12472387)

That's just not worthy of an answer ...

On the other hand, negotiations going well

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...uietly-dropped

And this is beside the numerous Brexit promises (read lies) during the referendum. :thumbdown:

Cape Blue Mar 29th 2018 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12472392)
That's just not worthy of an answer ...

I realise that some have trouble getting their heads around the concept, but I have explained it repeatedly.

On the other hand, negotiations going well

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...uietly-dropped

And this is beside the numerous Brexit promises (read lies) during the referendum. :thumbdown:
The Guardian - remainiac central, you'll not find a balanced brexit article in those sheets. It's a negotiation, each side won't get entirely what it wants but will get what it is prepared to accept.

Cape Blue Mar 29th 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12472391)
That was the mantra of the Victorian, mill and mine owners.
We send children up chimneys and down mines because they are so desperate for the pittance we are prepared to pay them.

And now we import even poorer people from abroad to help us drive that pittance down further - supported by people like you.

EMR Mar 29th 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12472396)
And now we import even poorer people from abroad to help us drive that pittance down further - supported by people like you.

Employed by people like you.
Who is the real villain, not me.

Red Eric Mar 29th 2018 7:44 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12471999)
Or maybe creating a situation where people with current, up to date passports will now have to buy a new one is the rip off.

You're not going to try to pretend that those Tory ****s are going to replace them with free blue passports now, are you?

Nobody's going to have to buy a new passport if they've a current style one that's still unexpired. It's only on renewal they'll get a proper one. Same with driving licences.

jimenato Mar 29th 2018 8:09 am

This is an interesting read

For example - and this won't surprise you, because it was such a theme all over Britain - concerns about unfettered migration from the EU came up time and again as a motive for voting Brexit.

And yet this is a part of the UK where immigration from the EU and the rest of the world is relatively low (in the North East as a whole, just 1.8% of the population is from the rest of the EU, compared with 13.4% for London).

They recognise - correctly - that this long-term economic decline should much more properly be delayed at the door of successive British governments, for their absent or inadequate industrial strategies.

So why did they want to kick the EU?

Well I got one compelling answer, in the pub, from Paul: "We're so angry with our government that we’re probably just angry with the EU now as well [or] anyone who even associates with our government."

Can Brexit Fix Britain? - Tonight airs at 7.30pm on ITV
I will watch it although I prefer Peston's writing to his talking.