Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:24 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
And - as I have said on numerous previous occasions - government doesn't look like denying them when it comes to agricultural workers, so it doesn't look to me as though carrot-pickers will be earning any more than they currently do in the future, despite Brexit.

Brexiters (including those not in business) even argued strenuously for seasonal workers in that sector - didn't you Bipat?
Lets hope the elites don't intervene with sectors like shopwork, distribution centre, manual labourer, taxi driver, truck driver, chamber maid - otherwise none of the working class will find they get a better lifestyle in the UK.

Last edited by Cape Blue; Mar 25th 2018 at 9:34 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:30 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
I think I'd recognise one when its politicos are reduced to scaremongering about immigrants, when another country can commit murder on its streets with impunity, and when it's riven so deeply that there's no reasonable way to restore any unity.
The UK has not only lost its way imo, but all sense of proportion. What used to be fairly tolerent nation has become a home for conceited white bigots opining their views on everything from the price of fish to genetic research - mostly using something they read in The Sun.
The last step will be when the currency falls as it did the other year.
Failed State; Failed its population; Failed itself.
Currencies rise and fall all the time, the 2016 drop is just amongst the rest of the FX noise already.
Attached Thumbnails Post EU Referendum-sterling-usd-graph.jpg  
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:36 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, yes. Has nothing to do eoth Brexit.

Despite, of course, virtually every bloody trader, economist, bank, financial services, financial authority, finance publication, and every-bloody-else saying otherwise.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:40 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Ahh, yes. Has nothing to do eoth Brexit.

Despite, of course, virtually every bloody trader, economist, bank, financial services, financial authority, finance publication, and every-bloody-else saying otherwise.
I didn't say the softening was nothing to do with brexit - are you able to read?

I said the drop was just at the level of noise - i.e. it wasn't especially notable when you look over a 10 year period.

The IMF stated before the referendum that Sterling was up to 20% overvalued, the referendum vote was just the trigger to bring it down to a more realistic level. I guess you don't like "experts"?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:46 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I didn't say the softening was nothing to do with brexit - are you able to read?

I said the drop was just at the level of noise - i.e. it wasn't especially notable when you look over a 10 year period.

The IMF stated before the referendum that Sterling was up to 20% overvalued, the referendum vote was just the trigger to bring it down to a more realistic level. I guess you don't like "experts"?
Or a 100 year period. Or 1000 years.

The fact remains, that every time it looks like Brexit is Brexit, the pound tanks. When it looks like maybe Brexit doesn't really mean Brexit, sterling gains.

So, what does that tell you about how the "real world" views this mess? Huh?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:54 pm
Democracy advocate

Or a 100 year period. Or 1000 years.

The fact remains, that every time it looks like Brexit is Brexit, the pound tanks. When it looks like maybe Brexit doesn't really mean Brexit, sterling gains.

So, what does that tell you about how the "real world" views this mess? Huh?
It doesn't "tank".

It tells you that FX traders will try making a buck out of any change and that short-termism prevails.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:00 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you read your own links? From the third one on what determines pay:
I do read my own links. It says could, not does. It's one of many factors, not the only one.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:01 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I do read my own links. It says could, not does. It's one of many factors, not the only one.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:02 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Lets hope the elites don't intervene with sectors like shopwork, distribution centre, manual labourer, taxi driver, truck driver, chamber maid - otherwise none of the working class will find they get a better lifestyle in the UK.
Which elites - Bipat and Gove?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:04 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

We are talking about free movement suppressing wages and Dave's link about how wages are set says:
The bit confirming that fruit pickers are unskilled was just the icing on the cake

I should get Dave to make all my arguments for me, he finds good links

Yes, business still wants to import cheap labour so that they do not need to pay higher wages.
I find links that support the point I'm making. Sometimes they also support a point you make.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:16 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Currencies rise and fall all the time, the 2016 drop is just amongst the rest of the FX noise already.
Cause and effect.
The fall in sterling was driven by what ?
As you claim to be one of the economic elite, what is your theory.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:21 am
Reasonable Bitch

It doesn't "tank".

It tells you that FX traders will try making a buck out of any change and that short-termism prevails.
Well, here's the view from wall street;

With a Year to go, Britain Is Still in the Dark Over Brexit | Wall Street Journal

Indeed, Mrs. May’s weakness is now her greatest leverage. Her success hinges on persuading EU leaders in the coming weeks that the only path to an orderly Brexit in 2019 is to hide the full consequences from the British public until at least 2020.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:43 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here's the view from wall street;

With a Year to go, Britain Is Still in the Dark Over Brexit | Wall Street Journal

Indeed, Mrs. May’s weakness is now her greatest leverage. Her success hinges on persuading EU leaders in the coming weeks that the only path to an orderly Brexit in 2019 is to hide the full consequences from the British public until at least 2020.
Experts, pah! What do they know?!! (just thought I'd get in first!)

One of the deniers will be along in a minute, but I have been tracking Sterling daily against the Escudo since 1998 (more recently by using the fixed conversion from the Euro). The value of sterling in this limited view HAS been lower than it has been recently (periods in 2008-2011), but rarely. This is (by far) the longest sustained "low" against that currency over that entire period. This, against a currency that was never strong and now tied to that "sick man", the Euro.

Now tell me again how this is a normal fluctuation......
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Experts, pah! What do they know?!! (just thought I'd get in first!)

One of the deniers will be along in a minute, but I have been tracking Sterling daily against the Escudo since 1998 (more recently by using the fixed conversion from the Euro). The value of sterling in this limited view HAS been lower than it has been recently (periods in 2008-2011), but rarely. This is (by far) the longest sustained "low" against that currency over that entire period. This, against a currency that was never strong and now tied to that "sick man", the Euro.

Now tell me again how this is a normal fluctuation......
Since January 1 1999 the escudo has been effectively fixed against the deutschmark and German exporters are very grateful for the poor economic performance of Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and others.
In reality, they fully expected that poor performance which they knew would artificially enhance the international competitiveness of their own economy.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:38 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Years View Post
Since January 1 1999 the escudo has been effectively fixed against the deutschmark and German exporters are very grateful for the poor economic performance of Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and others.
In reality, they fully expected that poor performance which they knew would artificially enhance the international competitiveness of their own economy.
The escudo no longer exists, nor does the Deutschmark, this comment is irrelevant to the relative value of sterling - and, as I pointed out, my records begin BEFORE any "fixing" of the values of currencies supplanted by the Euro.

Your views betray your prejudice, as most "weaker" economies are now fixing their issues and are showing better growth and employment that the average across the EU. I would remind you that Ireland also fixed it's currency and suffered the same trauma as Portugal, but has now emerged as one of the strongest growing economies in Europe.

The value of sterling has fallen relative to the Euro since the referendum and has remained low for a longer period than at any time during my monitoring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.