British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Mar 22nd 2018 5:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

As for this passport business, I hope it will harden people’s attitude towards the EU.

Bipat Mar 22nd 2018 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12467926)

It apparently does matter what colour our passports are. It was complained about often enough in the run-up to the referendum by Leavers as a reason to leave the EU. Yet the colour of passports isn't regulated by the EU, and could have been changed at any time. In fact the next batch are only being changed because it's a new contract (and I believe the colour was specified within the contract this time).

Passports existed for most countries long before the UK joined the EEC in 1973. Guess what, they have nothing to do with our EU membership.

Yes, there will still be trade and a relationship with the EU, I don't see anyone disputing that. What we're trying to figure out, is what kind of relationship?

And of course the British won't be banned from visiting there. Who said we would?

I'm not sure what points you were trying to make in your post.

I was replying to another poster who put a link regarding colour and production of passports. I questioned whether this was important to the majority of those who voted leave!

As I replied to EMR---the "banned" comment was an attempt at humour as indicated by the 'smiley'! We are leaving a particular 'trade club'--not creating a British Closed Community!:lol:

DaveLovesDee Mar 22nd 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12467823)
We do not control the quality or quantity of EU migrants - ergo "uncontrolled".

Neither does the EU control the quality of Brit migrants who go to other EU countries

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12467828)
Interesting the De La Rue guy said:

He said that in France, as a foreign-based firm, De La Rue would be barred from bidding to produce the French passport.
I wonder if that is true?

It is true. The Uk could also have done that, but didn't.

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12467866)
I said:

The border guards do not control the number of EU migrants allowed into the UK nor the quality of their skills they bring with them.

That's correct. It's also correct for for Brit migrants to other EU countries.

Annetje Mar 22nd 2018 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12467943)
As for this passport business, I hope it will harden people’s attitude towards the EU.

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12467947)
I was replying to another poster who put a link regarding colour and production of passports. I questioned whether this was important to the majority of those who voted leave!

Maybe Bipat you should talk to your leaver-friends. It does seem to be important.

Sorry, I forgot :lol:

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12467938)
In your desire to run down British industry yet again, I must correct you: British cars were sought after and exported all over the world.

Obviously you know very little about the British auto industry.
If they were sought after in those far off days It was because there was little opposition.
But as soon as the Japanese and Koreans arrived that was the death nell for the UK.
Who would want a Morris marina, Hillman Hunter, Austin allegro , when they could buy a real car that did not rely on pre war engineering.
You really are the living stereotype of the typical living in the past Brexiter.
My OH worked for the leading UK company that exported UK vehicles to assembly plants across the world.
It went out of business in the late 70s.

DaveLovesDee Mar 22nd 2018 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12467937)
And substantial profits for a landlord. Do you really believe what you post?

Yes, I do. Because why would I post stuff I didn't believe unless it was clearly satirical.

Do you honestly, really honestly, think a migrant worker wants to stay in a tiny room with only a mattress for furniture sharing a pig-sty house and bathroom with ten other occupants and pay £500 a week in outer London for the privilege?
I think some do. Others probably don't, but accept it because they can't afford to rent on their own. Students have done so as well.

That is if they are not being housed in a shack in the garden without water and electricity. Times that by ten for the household and you will see why landlords are willing to put up immigrant workers in shitholes. They are not willing to live like this: it is the only option they have. They are willing to live like this?
Some people are willing to endure much more difficulty than others to get ahead in life.

Just what planet are you living on?
A rhetorical question, I presume.

Cape Blue Mar 22nd 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12467926)
Yet all we ever hear from Leavers is the negatives. But here's the thing, of course there's been millions of migrants entering the UK since 2000, but most of them have jobs (or have spouses who do), and the unemployment numbers haven't changed significantly upwards until 2009 (when everybody's did due to the financial crisis) then started lowering again from 2014. It's now lower (as a total number and as a percentage) than at any time since 2000.

I haven't mentioned migrants causing unemployment, I mention persistent mass migration causing housing shortages and wage stagnation.

I think you mean overhouse. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but accuracy matters. Migrants are more willing than most Brits to house more occupants in the same-sized house. This leads to lower housing costs for each person, and is especially common in East European countries.
No, I mean underhousing - the migrant has less housing to use than the normal resident - they choose to underhouse themselves (rather than underfeed themselves etc) to enable them to work for lower wages and save money.. It was discussed in the book The Pinch.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ousing&f=false

I've told you before, the employee doesn't set anything.

An employer offers a job at a rate. If the prospective employee accepts that rate, the employee is accepting the rate set by the employer. If the employee doesn't accept the offered rate, the employer can either offer a higher rate or look for another prospective employee.
The employers sets the price they want to pay, the employee sets the price that is paid. Ergo they set the price.

Cape Blue Mar 22nd 2018 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12467952)
Neither does the EU control the quality of Brit migrants who go to other EU countries

It is true. The Uk could also have done that, but didn't.

That's correct. It's also correct for for Brit migrants to other EU countries.

The reality is that the huge difference in the volume and quality of traffic each way make this a problem for the UK and not a problem for the EU.

la mancha Mar 22nd 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12467965)
Yes, I do. Because why would I post stuff I didn't believe unless it was clearly satirical.

I think some do. Others probably don't, but accept it because they can't afford to rent on their own. Students have done so as well.

Some people are willing to endure much more difficulty than others to get ahead in life.

A rhetorical question, I presume.

I was talking to an Italian man some time ago. He was living in one room in a house of twelve and paying £500 a week for the privilege. He told me the landlord threw a key at him, took his money, and told him where the bathroom was. Every year his rent has increased but his wages are stagnant. His wages are stagnant because there are too many Europeans after the job. His rent is increasing because if he doesn’t like it another European will take the room. Where does that leave him? He is going home to Italy because he might as well have nothing amongst his family than nothing here. I would not like to tell you the impression of the UK he is taking back to Italy. Willing to live like that? Who told you they are willing to live like that? Who? You people just do not know what you are talking about. Ahead in life? Read what I have just posted. You Remainers are crazy trying to justify the absurd.

Annetje Mar 22nd 2018 6:08 pm

Are you blaming (yet again) the EU for something the UK Government has decided to do ?
It is their decision to put out a tender on the production of the passports. They do NOT have to do that. They COULD just give the contract to a UK firm.
But hey, let's blame the EU ....

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12467972)
I was talking to an Italian man some time ago. He was living in one room in a house of twelve and paying £500 a week for the privilege. He told me the landlord threw a key at him, took his money, and told him where the bathroom was. Every year his rent has increased but his wages are stagnant. His wages are stagnant because there are too many Europeans after the job. His rent is increasing because if he doesn’t like it another European will take the room. Where does that leave him? He is going home to Italy because he might as well have nothing amongst his family than nothing here. I would not like to tell you the impression of the UK he is taking back to Italy. Willing to live like that? Who told you they are willing to live like that? Who? You people just do not know what you are talking about. Ahead in life? Read what I have just posted. You Remainers are crazy trying to justify the absurd.

You have got it wrong, it your idea of the future you envisage after Brexit that belongs in the theatre of the absurd.
You must be chewing the carpet at the thought of FOM continuing during the transition period with full rights to those who will arrive,
Employment numbers still growing confirming the need for migrants.

la mancha Mar 22nd 2018 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12467964)
Obviously you know very little about the British auto industry.
If they were sought after in those far off days It was because there was little opposition.
But as soon as the Japanese and Koreans arrived that was the death nell for the UK.
Who would want a Morris marina, Hillman Hunter, Austin allegro , when they could buy a real car that did not rely on pre war engineering.
You really are the living stereotype of the typical living in the past Brexiter.
My OH worked for the leading UK company that exported UK vehicles to assembly plants across the world.
It went out of business in the late 70s.

If your OH was anything like you no wonder they went out of business.

I know very little about the British auto industry? I know more than most. Little opposition? Didn’t Germany and France and Italy and the US make cars? The cars you mention did not rely on pre-war engineering. I am not living in the past. (Do you know what year it is today?) I am answering your comment when you said no one wanted British cars and you twist it round to imply I am living in the past when I answer. A typical Remaniac retort.

Name me a real car, as you call them, in the same budget category as a Marina or an Allegro. And a Hillman Hunter won a World Cup Rally. British engineering at its best.

I stand by what I said: British cars were sought after and exported all over the world. Your comment was wrong and you cannot justify it except with snide digs. Another Remaniac tendency.

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 6:17 pm

Nothing to do with the EU.
It's a decision by the government
But that's a fact your Achilles heel.

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12467985)
If your OH was anything like you no wonder they went out of business.

I know very little about the British auto industry? I know more than most. Little opposition? Didn’t Germany and France and Italy and the US make cars? The cars you mention did not rely on pre-war engineering. I am not living in the past. (Do you know what year it is today?) I am answering your comment when you said no one wanted British cars and you twist it round to imply I am living in the past when I answer. A typical Remaniac retort.

Name me a real car, as you call them, in the same budget category as a Marina or an Allegro. And a Hillman Hunter won a World Cup Rally. British engineering at its best.

I stand by what I said: British cars were sought after and exported all over the world. Your comment was wrong and you cannot justify it except with snide digs. Another Remaniac tendency.

Maybe they were in your days but not in the modern world.
Living in the past , a brexit addiction.

la mancha Mar 22nd 2018 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12467975)
Are you blaming (yet again) the EU for something the UK Government has decided to do ?
It is their decision to put out a tender on the production of the passports. They do NOT have to do that. They COULD just give the contract to a UK firm.
But hey, let's blame the EU ....

I’m not saying anything like that. I am saying I hope it hardens people’s attitude towards the EU.