British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 3:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

50 African nations have signed up to a pan African free trade deal.
It seems that while the UK wants to walk away from the one it has with the EU other nations see the wisdom of multi nation trade agreements with their neighbours.
Maybe we could ask to join.?

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 3:20 pm

It seems that while the UK wants to walk away from the one it has with the EU other nations see the wisdom of multi nation trade agreements with their neighbours.

Cape Blue Mar 22nd 2018 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12467846)
So who are all those people in uniforms at the borders then, if it is uncontrolled?

It may be uncontrolled by your special definition, but that is applicable only to you.

I said:

We do not control the quality or quantity of EU migrants - ergo "uncontrolled".
The border guards do not control the number of EU migrants allowed into the UK nor the quality of their skills they bring with them.

Cape Blue Mar 22nd 2018 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12467853)

The UK is already negotiating a free trade deal with the EU.

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12467867)
The UK is already negotiating a free trade deal with the EU.

We already have one, that will be better than anything that the UK government can cobble together,
Had that fact escaped you.

Cape Blue Mar 22nd 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12467874)
We already have one, that will be better than anything that the UK government can cobble together,

No we didn't, membership of the EU is not solely an FTA.

Are you suggesting the African countries will allow freedom of movement and will require South Africa and Nigeria to spend billions subsiding CAR and Liberia, with an eventual aim of ever closer union?

007Steve Mar 22nd 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12467874)

..and if they do EMR, and it consists of a rigged Poker game they'll still lose...:nod: :nod: :nod:

Bipat Mar 22nd 2018 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12467854)

There are many multi nation trade agreements.
Is there another where the national law of the nations concerned is no longer supreme? Or the aim is federalisation of the countries?
The pan-African free trade agreement does not yet include free movement.

Will this agreement prevent individual FTDs with non African countries?

Bipat Mar 22nd 2018 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12467885)
No we didn't, membership of the EU is not solely an FTA.

Are you suggesting the African countries will allow freedom of movement and will require South Africa and Nigeria to spend billions subsiding CAR and Liberia, with an eventual aim of ever closer union?

Nigeria hasn't joined. South Africa already a BRICS country.

Cape Blue Mar 22nd 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12467894)
Nigeria hasn't joined. South Africa already a BRICS country.

What do you mean by that in relation to my comment?

EMR Mar 22nd 2018 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12467892)
There are many multi nation trade agreements.
Is there another where the national law of the nations concerned is no longer supreme? Or the aim is federalisation of the countries?
The pan-African free trade agreement does not yet include free movement.

Will this agreement prevent individual FTDs with non African countries?

It's a pity brexit was not about what you think it was, Remain would have won by a mile.

Bipat Mar 22nd 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12467897)
What do you mean by that in relation to my comment?

Not directly in relation to your comment.
It would seem to be a trade agreement not one for paying a membership fee and presumably the countries concerned can still be members of trade groups outside of Africa, as is South Africa.

DaveLovesDee Mar 22nd 2018 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12467738)
However you want to term it, you cannot deny that we have several million more immigrants in the UK now than we did at the turn of the century - this is called "fact". Persistent uncontrolled high net migration has a range of impacts, some positive, some negative.

Yet all we ever hear from Leavers is the negatives. But here's the thing, of course there's been millions of migrants entering the UK since 2000, but most of them have jobs (or have spouses who do), and the unemployment numbers haven't changed significantly upwards until 2009 (when everybody's did due to the financial crisis) then started lowering again from 2014. It's now lower (as a total number and as a percentage) than at any time since 2000.

Some migrants are prepared to significantly underhouse themselves so that they can save money to send back to the old country. This impacts wages and accommodation costs for all.
I think you mean overhouse. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but accuracy matters. Migrants are more willing than most Brits to house more occupants in the same-sized house. This leads to lower housing costs for each person, and is especially common in East European countries.

Employers offer wages, employees set the wage when they accept the job.
I've told you before, the employee doesn't set anything.

An employer offers a job at a rate. If the prospective employee accepts that rate, the employee is accepting the rate set by the employer. If the employee doesn't accept the offered rate, the employer can either offer a higher rate or look for another prospective employee.

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12467756)
Does it matter what passports look like or who makes them? (As long as it is the legal passport office and not a clever forger!!:lol:)

It is just an item that you need to remember to carry when you travel.
Does it matter what colour your driving licence is?

It apparently does matter what colour our passports are. It was complained about often enough in the run-up to the referendum by Leavers as a reason to leave the EU. Yet the colour of passports isn't regulated by the EU, and could have been changed at any time. In fact the next batch are only being changed because it's a new contract (and I believe the colour was specified within the contract this time).

Passports for British people existed long before we joined the EEC or EU.
Passports existed for most countries long before the UK joined the EEC in 1973. Guess what, they have nothing to do with our EU membership.

There will still be trade and a relationship with the EU, British will not be banned from visiting there.:lol:
Yes, there will still be trade and a relationship with the EU, I don't see anyone disputing that. What we're trying to figure out, is what kind of relationship?

And of course the British won't be banned from visiting there. Who said we would?

I'm not sure what points you were trying to make in your post.

la mancha Mar 22nd 2018 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12467926)

I think you mean overhouse. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but accuracy matters. Migrants are more willing than most Brits to house more occupants in the same-sized house. This leads to lower housing costs for each person, and is especially common in East European countries.

And substantial profits for a landlord. Do you really believe what you post? Do you honestly, really honestly, think a migrant worker wants to stay in a tiny room with only a mattress for furniture sharing a pig-sty house and bathroom with ten other occupants and pay £500 a week in outer London for the privilege? That is if they are not being housed in a shack in the garden without water and electricity. Times that by ten for the household and you will see why landlords are willing to put up immigrant workers in shitholes. They are not willing to live like this: it is the only option they have. They are willing to live like this? Just what planet are you living on?

la mancha Mar 22nd 2018 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12467843)
Why,
What happened to our British owned British managed auto industry.
What we produced few wanted certainly not overseas.
Whereas the UK auto industry of today is producing not just what the UK consumer wants but products that they can export .

In your desire to run down British industry yet again, I must correct you: British cars were sought after and exported all over the world.