Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Mar 18th 2018, 5:58 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
You still haven’t got it have you …
Seriously, I’m not having-a-go at anyone here, genuinely;- I’m trying to make a serious point. When Brits lose their EU Citizenship post 2019, the reversion from Citizen back to subject status results in the danger of loss of some very precious Rights gained within the EU. Presently, all we have is a series of intended promises and vague mutterings about transfer of Rights into UK law and a subsequent British (please note, not UK) Bill of Rights.
But they can’t deliver on it; - it matters not whether The Virgin May or O Jeremy Corbyn is at the helm. The UK Govt. can’t deliver because there’s no integrated modern Constitution much less a protective Court to implement those promises, just a ramshackle series of conflicting documents written on vellum that even the lawyers can’t agree on, forming the ‘unwritten constitution’.
It matters not what Parliament moves, motions, acts or debates – there is NO safeguard, because you’re subjects of the crown, which can hardly be said to be exactly open or transparent.
Would you board a cruise liner if you saw it listing with the lifeboats swung out?
A smoking car on the hard shoulder advertised at a bargain price marked good-runner??
That’s exactly what’s going on here imo, and nobody seems to want to mention it, only flaky ‘trade-deals & immigration stats…. Wake up!!!
Maybe it's past your bedtime Golden Years... Huh?
Very

I'm going to go underground, what's your plan?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 6:04 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Just more hate.
If you read that as hate, I pity you.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 6:06 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Very
I'm going to go underground, what's your plan?
Thank you
... If the Big Guy upstairs is gracious enough to allow me to get there BB, I'll try a monastery or similar... Failing that, an Institution of some kind for the stroppy sane.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 6:09 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Such as, Eric, do you think the UK should remain or leave the EU?
Didn't we already have a referendum? Is this for a 2nd one?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 6:15 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
... If the Big Guy upstairs is gracious enough to allow me to get there BB, I'll try a monastery or similar... Failing that, an Institution of some kind for the stroppy sane.
Monasteries are good.

Loads of good beer comes from the results of their think-tanks.

Which the UK - embroiled once again in Party bleeding Politics instead of stepping up to face the biggest potential disaster since someone stole the Jules Rimet trophy - is still sadly lacking.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 8:38 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You still haven’t got it have you …
Seriously, I’m not having-a-go at anyone here, genuinely;- I’m trying to make a serious point. When Brits lose their EU Citizenship post 2019, the reversion from Citizen back to subject status results in the danger of loss of some very precious Rights gained within the EU. Presently, all we have is a series of intended promises and vague mutterings about transfer of Rights into UK law and a subsequent British (please note, not UK) Bill of Rights.
But they can’t deliver on it; - it matters not whether The Virgin May or O Jeremy Corbyn is at the helm. The UK Govt. can’t deliver because there’s no integrated modern Constitution much less a protective Court to implement those promises, just a ramshackle series of conflicting documents written on vellum that even the lawyers can’t agree on, forming the ‘unwritten constitution’.
It matters not what Parliament moves, motions, acts or debates – there is NO safeguard, because you’re subjects of the crown, which can hardly be said to be exactly open or transparent.
Would you board a cruise liner if you saw it listing with the lifeboats swung out?
A smoking car on the hard shoulder advertised at a bargain price marked good-runner??
That’s exactly what’s going on here imo, and nobody seems to want to mention it, only flaky ‘trade-deals & immigration stats…. Wake up!!!
Maybe it's past your bedtime Golden Years... Huh?
Can you give us some examples of what the precious rights are and how you see the lack of them impacting us in the UK in the future?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 8:42 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If you read that as hate, I pity you.
And more.

Why don't you just try and focus on the subject at hand?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 8:43 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has become boring because posters like ERIC continue to post their cynical digs to demonstrate their ‘superiority’ over those who disagree with them, then claim I never meant any such thing.
Not so.

Aside from the petty stuff I question some of the statements that are made as truth when they aren't or when they make assumptions about the future which are by no means guaranteed.

It's not my fault if people leap to the wrong conclusions about my own thoughts on any of those matters.

For example, simply questioning whether Brexit will lead to fewer foreign-sourced workers doing low-skilled work such as in agriculture doesn't indicate any opinion on the matter other than me questioning whether it will happen. And if it doesn't look likely, why is it being used as such a handy example? Are they even immigrants or just seasonal workers anyway?

I also questioned in the last couple of days, in the light of a newspaper article on the subject, whether car wash workers are in fact likely to be claiming all those in-work benefits they're accused of draining the country of. That one didn't get a response either.

I also questioned whether the UK would be showing any signs of what some claim we can be looking forward to in years to come but by and large that seemed to get brushed aside in favour of saying that the years of EU membership had loused up any chance of that.

This thread should get back to basics and forget the typos and petty adolescent stupidity.

Such as, Eric, do you think the UK should remain or leave the EU?
I voted to remain. In the hypothetical circumstance of there being a 2nd referendum on the same question, I'd do so again.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:06 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give us some examples of what the precious rights are and how you see the lack of them impacting us in the UK in the future?
... Well Your Immensity, far be it from a serf to make suggestions - unlike others here I openly admit being unqualified, but a useful start for your Opinions may be -
Employment contracts & paid leave for agency workers,
Working time directive/ maximum working hours protection,
Road safety via restrictions on lorry drivers' hours,
Courts having to comply with The European Court (not ECHR)
Maternity & Paternity leave,
and my own personal favourite, the EU legislation requiring employers' to pay for employees eye-tests (every 3 years?). I personally saw one case where someone's sight was saved by that.
Plus, anything under
The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, which enshrines certain political, social, and economic rights for European Union (EU) Citizens and Residents into EU law. You'll note the word Citizens (I imagine you'll foam at the mouth), and we haven't even got near Residents yet either....
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:15 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has become boring because posters like ERIC continue to post their cynical digs to demonstrate their ‘superiority’ over those who disagree with them...
... it's mostly remainiac nonsense and virtue-signalling tosh ...
No superiority or cynical dig there.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:19 pm
Democracy advocate

... Well Your Immensity, far be it from a serf to make suggestions - unlike others here I openly admit being unqualified, but a useful start for your Opinions may be -
and my own personal favourite, the EU legislation requiring employers' to pay for employees eye-tests (every 3 years?). I personally saw one case where someone's sight was saved by that.
Plus, anything under
The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, which enshrines certain political, social, and economic rights for European Union (EU) Citizens and Residents into EU law. You'll note the word Citizens (I imagine you'll foam at the mouth), and we haven't even got near Residents yet either....
Why are you guys always so pissy? I know you are losers in this deal but do try and get over it - "Your Immensity"?

I politely asked what the precious rights were that you were talking about regarding your "Subject" Vs "Citizen" point.

Do you think a UK government will say "sod it, truck drivers can now drive 20 hours a day, we don't care"?

Or that the HSE legislation in the UK which has always been ahead of most EU countries will now be dropped by a Labour government?

What Fundamental Rights from the charter do you see the UK doing away with?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
No superiority or cynical dig there.
I realised that how you guys roll and decided if you can't beat them ....
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
You're wrong - as was I, it was actually 1983
From Wikipedia,
"The British Nationality Act 1948 was an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that created the status of "Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies" (CUKC) as the national citizenship of the United Kingdom and its colonies."

Well I still think it was the 1948 act that changed the status to "citizen" so lets just agree to differ.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, anything under
Aren't all of these going to be incorporated into UK Law via the EU (Withdrawal) Bill?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:40 pm
So long...

And more.

Why don't you just try and focus on the subject at hand?
What, the post-EU referendum?

Okay. It was advisory. True or false?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.