British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Mar 18th 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12465145)
Did they ever demonstrate logic?

Logic, from those with views such as importing millions of migrants.

la mancha Mar 18th 2018 12:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12465146)
Logic, from those with views such as importing millions of migrants.

Exactly.

Cape Blue Mar 18th 2018 12:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12465145)
Did they ever demonstrate logic?

Very infrequently, it's mostly remainiac nonsense and virtue-signalling tosh with a dash of ad-hom every time they trip themselves up.

EMR Mar 18th 2018 12:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12465147)
Exactly.

Have you not been telling to us that EU migrants have been leaving, wages up, rents down.
So you must agree that those who post such crap about importing millions of migrants are being far from logical but living in a fantasy world.
We know Cape is, are you as well.

macliam Mar 18th 2018 12:44 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12465132)
I'm agreeing with Macliam, what's your problem?

Oh, I doubt that! After all, I'm an immigrant who thinks leaving the EU would be disastrous in the medium term. However, I also think the UK will see sense and actually try to keep the benefits they already have .... so the Brexiteers will be disappointed and keep whingeing for the next 40 years.

007Steve Mar 18th 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12465149)
Very infrequently, it's mostly remainiac nonsense and virtue-signalling tosh with a dash of ad-hom every time they trip themselves up.

Your Honour/s,
A mud-gathering serf craves your indulgences by ‘umble Petition, that your Grandnesses cease using Latin words & phrases in posts - as the sore distress wot it gives me (& uvvers) in feelings of inferiority compared to Your Enormities is so profound & hard to bear.
Terms like ad Ad-hom[inem] & non sequitur visit much wretchedness upon the rank examples of the low & inferior castes with whom you are forced to share the very same air in this thread; - causing you many vexations from our stupidities.
I do not ask you to post infa dignitatem, nor ad captandum, but merely to use plain English so enlightenment flows from the Higher Orders and so maintains the status quo that our miserable station/s in life, as decreed by Our Betters, deserve.
In anticipation of your Highnesses indulgence to the odi profanum vulgus
in contrite ‘umbleness
X (his mark)

Golden Years Mar 18th 2018 1:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12464779)
You seriously expect me to leap at the prospect of being forcibly degraded back into being a Subject of that???

I'm guessing that you still have a UK passport?

Your "Nationality" is printed on there.

Mine says " British Citizen".

What does yours say?

macliam Mar 18th 2018 2:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12465198)
I'm guessing that you still have a UK passport?

Your "Nationality" is printed on there.

Mine says " British Citizen".

What does yours say?

That's only been the case since 1981, after the UK joined the EEC. Before that you were a Subject, if you were lucky. Serfs didn't need passports.....

Golden Years Mar 18th 2018 2:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12465206)
That's only been the case since 1981, after the UK joined the EEC. Before that you were a Subject, if you were lucky. Serfs didn't need passports.....

I believe the British Nationality Act of 1948 made that change, nothing to do with the EU.

007Steve Mar 18th 2018 2:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12465206)
That's only been the case since 1981, after the UK joined the EEC. Before that you were a Subject, if you were lucky. Serfs didn't need passports.....

... :nod: :nod: :nod: As you say macliam, & it denotes that a former Subject holder is from a (current) member state of the EU and thus enjoys the protection of the EU as one of it's Citizens.
Post 2019 and blue-stigmas, that'll be gone & serfs like myself revert to Subjects under the heel of the crown.:cry_smile:

Golden Years Mar 18th 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12465219)
... :nod: :nod: :nod: As you say macliam, & it denotes that a former Subject holder is from a (current) member state of the EU and thus enjoys the protection of the EU as one of it's Citizens.
Post 2019 and blue-stigmas, that'll be gone & serfs like myself revert to Subjects under the heel of the crown.:cry_smile:

Wrong, but don't let that stop you wallowing in self pity!

jimenato Mar 18th 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
OK - back to topic.

I have just watched The Big Questions on BBC and the first question was 'Should we have a second referendum on leaving the EU'.

I have been ambivalent on this up to now but, having listened to the arguments presented, I have come down firmly on the side of 'Yes - we should'.


The reason I think this is simply that at the time of the first referendum the electorate were insufficiently informed on the consequences of what they were voting for. They still are but, at some point, we will have come to a deal and it will be clear what leaving will mean, and at that point we will be know enough about what we are voting for to make a properly informed decision.

I would go for a two part referendum where the first one would ask three questions:
  • Accept the deal as presented
  • Leave with no deal
  • Remain

The question with the fewest votes would be discarded and a second referendum would be held asking the remaining two questions.

macliam Mar 18th 2018 3:11 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12465216)
I believe the British Nationality Act of 1948 made that change, nothing to do with the EU.

You're wrong - as was I, it was actually 1983 https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...sh-citizenship

It was the same act that meant children born in the UK were no longer automatically UK citizens. Before 1983 you would have been provided with a Passport stamped (not printed) "British Subject: Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies"
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/alte...F-27094788.jpg

BristolUK Mar 18th 2018 3:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12465230)
...I have come down firmly on the side of 'Yes - we should'.
The reason I think this is simply that at the time of the first referendum the electorate were insufficiently informed on the consequences of what they were voting for. They still are but...


If "is that your final answer?" is good enough for game shows on TV, it's good enough for real life on something important.

007Steve Mar 18th 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12465223)
Wrong, but don't let that stop you wallowing in self pity!

:banghead: You still haven’t got it have you …
Seriously, I’m not having-a-go at anyone here, genuinely;- I’m trying to make a serious point. When Brits lose their EU Citizenship post 2019, the reversion from Citizen back to subject status results in the danger of loss of some very precious Rights gained within the EU. Presently, all we have is a series of intended promises and vague mutterings about transfer of Rights into UK law and a subsequent British (please note, not UK) Bill of Rights.
But they can’t deliver on it; - it matters not whether The Virgin May or O Jeremy Corbyn is at the helm. The UK Govt. can’t deliver because there’s no integrated modern Constitution much less a protective Court to implement those promises, just a ramshackle series of conflicting documents written on vellum that even the lawyers can’t agree on, forming the ‘unwritten constitution’.
It matters not what Parliament moves, motions, acts or debates – there is NO safeguard, because you’re subjects of the crown, which can hardly be said to be exactly open or transparent.
Would you board a cruise liner if you saw it listing with the lifeboats swung out?
A smoking car on the hard shoulder advertised at a bargain price marked good-runner??
That’s exactly what’s going on here imo, and nobody seems to want to mention it, only flaky ‘trade-deals & immigration stats…. Wake up!!!
Maybe it's past your bedtime Golden Years... Huh?


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:10 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.