British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Sep 13th 2016 7:58 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12050758)
"politically correct doesn't come into it but grammatically correct does.

Is that a grammatically correct use of quote marks?

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 8:01 am

This is funny too:

Brexit means Brexit: the problem of the people’s will

Business minister: My problem is that I don’t think the people understood what they were voting for.

Brexit minister: I agree – we handled that really well, don’t you think?

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12050778)
Is that a grammatically correct use of quote marks?

Is that really the best you can do? :rofl:

Shock, horror.... I left out a quotation mark. - Whatever shall I do now? :lol:

I know, I'll correct it! :)

Red Eric Sep 13th 2016 8:14 am

Just asking ;) You seem to be awfully keen on grammar all of a sudden, to the point where you can apparently distinguish between two equally correct phrases. Just wondered if you could teach me something else.

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 8:17 am

Apparently, you reserve the exclusive right to poke fun at "grammatical errors". Even though you can't distinguish between a grammatical error and misphrasing.

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12050797)
Just asking ;) You seem to be awfully keen on grammar all of a sudden, to the point where you can apparently distinguish between two equally correct phrases. Just wondered if you could teach me something else.

Not particularly although it does surprise me that so many people don't know the difference between 'inverted commas' & "quotation marks"

The point I was trying to make was that so many people make the mistake of mocking the phrase 'Brexit means Brexit' when in fact it has a simple definition. Therefore it's obvious what Brexit means.

What people should be discussing is what will happen during the Brexit negotiations & what will happen after Brexit is completed & of course those two subjects are a matter of speculation at this point.

We should however all know what the term Brexit actually means.

It'd probably be more correct to say I'm keen on the use of proper definitions rather than correct grammar.

That said, as I've previously mentioned: The difference between good & bad grammar is in helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse. ;)

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 8:34 am

What brexit means has been published ad-nauseum in the press, by academics, by businesspeople, by the government, you name it... And much of that has been published in this thread.

Yet ironically, the ones who most like to claim they know what brexit means by simply saying "brexit means brexit -simples" appear to be the least understanding of what it means to Britain. Fanatically refusing to acknowledge the basic truths of what Britain faces now. Despite all available evidence.

And that's the larf, Einstein.

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 8:52 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050810)
What brexit means has been published ad-nauseum in the press, by academics, by businesspeople, by the government, you name it... And much of that has been published in this thread.

Yet ironically, the ones who most like to claim they know what brexit means by simply saying "brexit means brexit -simples" appear to be the least understanding of what it means to Britain. Fanatically refusing to acknowledge the basic truths of what Britain faces now. Despite all available evidence.

Your post perfectly illustrates my point so thank you for that! ;)

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 9:12 am

Mine too.

Red Eric Sep 13th 2016 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12050803)
Not particularly although it does surprise me that so many people don't know the difference between 'inverted commas' & "quotation marks"

What surprises me is that some people think there are differences which don't exist, the choice between the two being more a matter of individual preference or style in many cases, rather than hard and fast rules.

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 10:02 am

So what will Brexit really mean? | The Economist
Theresa May’s ministers are carefully avoiding specific answers. But she is systematically disowning many of the Brexiteers’ promises

These two may have welcomed a second Asian intervention: the unusual publication by Japan’s foreign ministry of a Brexit paper. Japanese companies, it said, were huge employers in Britain, which took almost half of Japan’s investment in the EU last year. Most of that came because Britain is a gateway to Europe. The paper advised Mrs May to try to retain full access to the single market, to avoid customs controls on exports, to preserve the “passport” that allows banks based in London to trade across Europe and to let employers freely hire EU nationals.

These interventions worry Tory Brexiteers, who fret that having won a famous victory in June, they could lose the war. Their fear is that, given the choice, Mrs May and Mr Hammond will lean more to staying in the single market than to taking back full control of migration, money and laws. Mr Davis said this week that having access to the single market was not the same as being a member of it, and added that giving up border control to secure membership was an “improbable” outcome. But he was slapped down when Mrs May’s spokeswoman said the remark was only Mr Davis’s personal opinion. He also talked of retaining as much of the status quo as possible, not least in areas like security and foreign-policy co-operation.

mikelincs Sep 13th 2016 10:07 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050810)

The problem is that none of those groups agree with each other, and, in fact, until it happens, none of them, or us, really know what it means to anyone either in the UK or the rest of the EU, there are far too many imponderables, and details that will not be agreed or discussed until artilce 50 is triggered, that any pronouncements by anyone, including politicians, really know what it means, a lot will depend on the reaction of the other members of the EU.

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 10:23 am

There's a clear difference between what the Sun, Daily Mail and Express say and what most of the rest of the world says. But that's not a surprise. Unfortunately these are the top news sources in Britain. So the British sentiment tends to mirror the sentiments expressed in those media outlets. Uniquely British point of view.

But one good example, an extremely telling video of an initial fact finding meeting conducted by parliament to explore the details of what leaving the EU would involve was posted on this forum several times.

This was a lengthy, rather exhaustive inquiry that was completely unpolitical, was conducted solely on the basis of "we are leaving, so what are the tasks ahead?" and sought to simply get down to the real facts of the matter.

Within the first 15 minutes, it becomes clear that the task and the consequences of brexit are gargantuan. But it doesn't end there, it just gets more complex, more expensive, and more paradoxical as it goes on.

I watched most of it, but the brexiters here refused, saying they're not going to watch "government propaganda". And have since scoffed at many of the issues quite legitimately raised in that inquiry, as if it's all bollocks.

And that might help explain why there's absolutely no depth to the entire leave mantra. They don't want to hear the details. They have no clue.

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12050853)
What surprises me is that some people think there are differences which don't exist, the choice between the two being more a matter of individual preference or style in many cases, rather than hard and fast rules.

As I was taught it, there's a very obvious difference between the two & the clue is in the name.

Quotation marks are exactly that. They're used when you quote someone's exact words whereas inverted commas should be used to coin something like a popularly used phrase.

Examples are: Mrs May said "Brexit means Brexit" & Joe Bloggs can be a bit of a 'twit' at times.

Not that it has much to do with the subject in hand though. ;)

Red Eric Sep 13th 2016 10:53 am

What is the subject at hand?