British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Mar 5th 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12456598)
Ummm just to mix things up for those anti EU folks.. Its just been reported that most Brits have 60% European DNA....

It's all those imports.

Golden Years Mar 5th 2018 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12456598)
Ummm just to mix things up for those anti EU folks.. Its just been reported that most Brits have 60% European DNA....

No great surprise there what with the Angles and the Saxons and the Normans and numerous others.

The EU and Europe are not the same thing, as you know, so being anti the Commission has no bearing on how you feel about the 27 countries managed by it.

amideislas Mar 5th 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12456617)
No great surprise there what with the Angles and the Saxons and the Normans and numerous others.

The EU and Europe are not the same thing, as you know, so being anti the Commission has no bearing on how you feel about the 27 countries managed by it.

(??) The European commission doesn't manage any country, anywhere.

amideislas Mar 5th 2018 5:36 pm

Meanwhile...

It seems the yanks already see Britain coming. I doubt this will be the only term of any "trade relationship". Wouldn't surprise me if the US pharma companies demand preferential treatment from the NHS, at prices they themselves set. And lots of other corporate interests will see some low hanging fruit. After all, the Brexit team will be pretty desperate to make any kind of a deal.

US lobbying for UK to drop food name protections to sell ‘Cornish pasties’

Cornish pasties and Scotch whisky are among the products that could carry a “Made in America” tag after Brexit.

Assanah Mar 5th 2018 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12456655)
Meanwhile...

It seems the yanks already see Britain coming. I doubt this will be the only term of any "trade relationship". Wouldn't surprise me if the US pharma companies demand preferential treatment from the NHS, at prices they themselves set. And lots of other corporate interests will see some low hanging fruit. After all, the Brexit team will be pretty desperate to make any kind of a deal.

US lobbying for UK to drop food name protections to sell ‘Cornish pasties’

Cornish pasties and Scotch whisky are among the products that could carry a “Made in America” tag after Brexit.

Yes, the EU should also drop the protection of marmelade. Then we Germans can call a strawberry Fruchtaufstrich a Marmelade again. Like we used to before the British superimposed their version on the rest of us 😌😋

EMR Mar 5th 2018 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12456685)
Yes, the EU should also drop the protection of marmelade. Then we Germans can call a strawberry Fruchtaufstrich a Marmelade again. Like we used to before the British superimposed their version on the rest of us 😌😋

The Portuguese cal their version marmolade , made from quince.
More than a few Brits have been caught out..

Red Eric Mar 5th 2018 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12456690)
The Portuguese cal their version marmolade...

I think you'll find it's marmelada ;)

EMR Mar 5th 2018 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12456709)

Thanks Eric , I knew you would know.

007Steve Mar 5th 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12456619)
(??) The European commission doesn't manage any country, anywhere.

.... :lol: Don't tell Rees-Mogg & Loons that, they're so looking forward to living in a 'vassel' state & being dominated....
.... Curious about how they keeep on about domination ... ;)

DaveLovesDee Mar 5th 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12456601)
And that the first real Britons were.... Black.

DaveLovesDee Mar 5th 2018 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12456741)
.... :lol: Don't tell Rees-Mogg & Loons that, they're so looking forward to living in a 'vassel' state & being dominated....
.... Curious about how they keeep on about domination ... ;)

Somehow, I think they'd be happier if the EU wore skintight leather and were more forceful :p

007Steve Mar 5th 2018 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12456750)
Somehow, I think they'd be happier if the EU wore skintight leather and were more forceful :p

:rofl:... You understand of course that your meaning totally escapes me, it says here, in referring to such a fine upstanding bunch....:rofl:

Red Eric Mar 5th 2018 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12456741)
.... Rees-Mogg & Loons ....

http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/carp...ustus_carp.jpg

Red Eric Mar 6th 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12456685)

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12456690)
The Portuguese cal their version marmolade , made from quince.
More than a few Brits have been caught out..

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12456709)

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12456718)
Thanks Eric , I knew you would know.

No worries.

The Portuguese "version", incidentally, is actually the original :

Origin

Late 15th century: from Portuguese marmelada ‘quince jam’, from marmelo ‘quince’, based on Greek melimēlon (from meli ‘honey’ + mēlon ‘apple’).
So, if Brexit means altering the protection, it should by rights be re-assigned to the quince preserve, an artisanal product revered by all and still made in time-honoured fashion here, which gave the British adulteration its name, rather than being allowed to flourish as some kind of put-in-it-what-you-will euro-jam.

Watchpost Mar 6th 2018 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12456617)

"The United Kingdom and the British Isles are not the same thing, as you know, so being anti the Civil Service has no bearing on how you feel about the 4 countries managed by it."

How does that sound?