British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Golden Years Mar 3rd 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12455380)
Nazi Germany that had its sympathisers and accomplices at the highest levels in British society.

Don't forget Adolf's buddy, General Franco, who let the German Luftwaffe practice carpet bombing on the civilian population of Guernica.

Incidentally, it was the Hitler/Franco friendship that led to Spain moving to the European timezone despite it being out of kilter with actual solar time. Eighty years later Spain is still suffering from the side effects of that change!

amideislas Mar 4th 2018 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12455443)
Don't forget Adolf's buddy, General Franco, who let the German Luftwaffe practice carpet bombing on the civilian population of Guernica.

Incidentally, it was the Hitler/Franco friendship that led to Spain moving to the European timezone despite it being out of kilter with actual solar time. Eighty years later Spain is still suffering from the side effects of that change!

...and...they don't have HP or Branston pickle in every shop, nor on the table at restaurants, don't serve f&c or roast beef & pud, foreign beer everywhere, they're too lazy to learn or speak proper English, and they think it's perfectly OK to drive on the wrong side of the road.

My advice is; never leave England. Bloody dangerous!

Assanah Mar 4th 2018 7:30 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12455329)
Do you mean like Germany did? Twice?

That is it for definite. G'bye.

I am not the one running around and telling everyone how super the UK is and how dumb the rest. I am more than happy to say goodbye. Please leave SOON!!!

Assanah Mar 4th 2018 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455425)
France, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Germany to name a few.

That's why I wrote that your countrymen are emotional shitholes like EVERYONE else.

amideislas Mar 4th 2018 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455426)
The EU interfering in a sovereign states affairs?

Jeezus! You'll grab at any straw, won't you?

No, the EU didn't arrest anyone. The Guardia Civil did (that's a police force of the Spanish government, in case you didn't realise Spain had any). The EU, however, put a great deal of pressure on the Spanish government to tackle corruption. And it did.

Still, I reckon if you're arguing against the EU, you could either proclaim corruption is the result of the EU (despite all evidence to the contrary), or as in this case, if the EU pressures them to fight it, then it's "interference".

Either way, it's bad, innit?

DaveLovesDee Mar 4th 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455426)
The EU interfering in a sovereign states affairs?

What was your position regarding those who said the EU should have supported the breakaway of Catalan?

amideislas Mar 4th 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12455646)
I am not the one running around and telling everyone how super the UK is and how dumb the rest. I am more than happy to say goodbye. Please leave SOON!!!

Depends on the argument. If the argument is "why leave the EU", it's because the EU has impoverished the UK in some way, and if you stupid expats actually lived in the UK, then you'd see for yourselves how bad it is.

But in a different argument, say, the growing EU economy (or Britain's declining economy), then it will be that the UK is booming (contextually, because of Brexit) and Europe (and everywhere else) is impoverished.

Either way: EU bad.

EMR Mar 4th 2018 8:07 am

[QUOTE=Cape Blue;12455427]Those same elites are now EU .

You definitely are losing it.
One minute those who voted remain are lefties now of the right.

Farage,Smog, Deeds, Redwood .
I know what colour shirt they would have been wearing along with most of their more extreme supporters.
The right in the UK is anti EU and all it stands for.

Shard Mar 4th 2018 8:45 am

[QUOTE=EMR;12455667]

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455427)
Those same elites are now EU .

I know what colour shirt they would have been wearing along with most of their more extreme supporters.

Yes, in general Britain sees Europe as more leftward than itself, and the Right amplify this sentiment.

Rees-Mogg has become such an outspoken critic of the EU and British nationalist beloved by the right-wing elites and working class traditionalists alike. It's surprising that some enterprising comedian hasn't developed a Spitting Image type parody of Moggs to convey just how out of touch and subversive he has become.

007Steve Mar 4th 2018 9:12 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12455321)
No, you said that ^^^^
But I think everybody would take a little on the side if they can (and it has nothing to do with nationality). I personally don't have a problem with the bloke struggling to pay the rent taking cash for something. It's not my problem, and he needs all the help he can get.
The problem I have, is with fat cats stashing millions away through laundering schemes, while not contributing a penny to the community. I mean, you live in London, home of some of the world's top laundering venues catering to international tycoons, politicians, Mafia, etc., so I'm sure you're well versed.
By the way, in all fairness, a decade ago, "under the table" money was exchanged rather freely, even at governmental levels. But that time is long gone. Hundreds are in jail now. It's pretty difficult, if not impossible to "buy" planning permission or ITV or not pay IVA or any of the stuff that used to be commonplace. Except for handworkers, of course. And the EU has had a huge influence in that.

Now, now no smutty-talk here....:blink:
We mustn’t forget that post 2019 they’ll be Vladimir’s Family & Russian Mafia dirty money to wash (current Times estimate £90Million a year), then all that drug-money, dictators’ slush funds, Assad’s war machine funding (& his misses’ London property portfolio), the Saudi (bribes-paid) investments, Israeli intelligence slush-funds and front companies, et al … Golly-gum-drops, how the pennies do mount up for the Chaps in the City.
After all; - it doesn’t just turn up in huge $ deposits in odd places like Cyprus, Malta, Caymans, Bermuda, Panama, and all points West by itself – surely not with all those Airtight-Rules in place, or does it? Maybe Santa's got a delivery-round between Christmas's?
------------------
Off Topic I know but hearing that The Mad-Orange-Quacking-One is now threatening to impose tariffs on European cars made me wake up with that warm-glow-of-deep-comfort in the knowledge that the UK will be safe & secure post 2019 with it's Great Trade Deal...:nod:

EMR Mar 4th 2018 9:27 am

Angela Merkel will serve a 4th term following the 2 thirds majority by the SPD membership to remain in the coalition government.
Once again the brexit doommongers who forvyears have been forcasting the end of the, EU,the Eurozone, the election of le Pen and the demise of Merkel have been proven wrong.

With Merkel with Macron driving the final stages of Brexit what next for the UK.

Liam Fox last seen banging his head against a wall following tweet from his great friend and friend of the UK Trump.

Free Trade Deals are BAD deals says Trumper.
Trumps proposed levy of EU manufactured cars will also apply to UK manufactured vehicles.
Plus the threat to 350million pound .UK steel exports to the US.

With friends like Trump we need the EU even more than before

amideislas Mar 4th 2018 9:30 am

But.... We're English. And we're out of the EU, so we can expect a super deal from Trump and everyone else, in record time. And Nissan and Toyota and all the others can just sell millions of cars to the yanks. Simples. (Of course, they'll have to close down their US manufacturing plants and ship them across the Atlantic, but hey... We're English).

Cape Blue Mar 4th 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12455647)
That's why I wrote that your countrymen are emotional shitholes like EVERYONE else.

In which case the UK is no different than anywhere else.

Cape Blue Mar 4th 2018 9:32 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12455655)
What was your position regarding those who said the EU should have supported the breakaway of Catalan?

They should not be involved in the internal issues of a member state.

Cape Blue Mar 4th 2018 9:35 am

[QUOTE=EMR;12455667]

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455427)
Those same elites are now EU .

Remain is an alliance between the virtue-signalling social justice warrior leftists and the done very well out of it rightists.

Many on the right like the EU - they are landlords who like the increasing rent and employers who like the suppressed wages, plus it gives them easy access to their continental holiday homes.