British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje Mar 2nd 2018 2:59 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12454436)
Thanks. Couldn't bear to sit through it live, will catch it on the news. My hopes are not high.

Just keep the popcorn handy

EMR Mar 2nd 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12454432)
Is it worth what?

Being worse off as she indicated in her speech.
Continuing to pay into agencies essential for the UK.
Accepting that the ECJ will still have an influence in our relationship with the EU.
Etc etc..

Is that what you regard as Brexit., is that what you voted for.

EMR Mar 2nd 2018 3:17 pm

Markets reaction sterling down.. E1.118

Annetje Mar 2nd 2018 3:43 pm

Is Gibraltar not in the UK ?

As Prime Minister it is my duty to represent all of our United Kingdom, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland; north and south, from coastal towns and rural villages to our great cities.

No wonder they never talk about it .....

jimenato Mar 2nd 2018 3:47 pm

Is it worth what?

Not specified - but very significant that May didn't answer it.

Annetje Mar 2nd 2018 3:56 pm

I didn't realize she gave up on passporting rights ... No worries though, the Chancellor will explain his own Brexit dream next week (Another speech, not another one)...

Shard Mar 2nd 2018 3:58 pm

Could she be prevaricating? Setting up everything for a free parliament vote in some months time and then washing her hands of it? Parliament would reject it, the country on the whole will be persuaded that we bit off more than we could chew. And the Eurosceptics would have to rage on in their small nationalistic wet dream as they always do. Is that possibility or am I to wishful in my thinking?

EMR Mar 2nd 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12454474)
Could she be prevaricating? Setting up everything for a free parliament vote in some months time and then washing her hands of it? Parliament would reject it, the country on the whole will be persuaded that we bit off more than we could chew. And the Eurosceptics would have to rage on in their small nationalistic wet dream as they always do. Is that possibility or am I to wishful in my thinking?

One flaw in your suggestion that being there is a plan..

007Steve Mar 2nd 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12454280)
Drink loads and loads of water to dilute your headache .....
For desperation there is no cure, just be glad you don't live there (or do you???)

Thanks, annetje, plain water’s a definite help. :regular_smile:
I’m in PT on an NHR basis, so I have the option to go dual nationality, though clearly there's no future in remaining British. In a decade or so, imo, it’ll be a embarrassment to be a Brit abroad.
Did you see that cut-away to those foreign reporters laughing :nod: at May’s speech? No wonder other nations laugh at the UK now. The EU will be glad to see the back of Britain;- maybe put a maritime exclusion zone around it & re-classify it as an internationally recognised post WW2 museum...:nod:

EMR Mar 2nd 2018 5:35 pm

Farage, No deal is a big mistake.

If she has peed him off then it was a good speech.

Remaining ( and paying to remain ) in important EU regulatory organisations has been welcomed by the industry bodies concerned.

Annetje Mar 2nd 2018 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12454542)
Farage, No deal is a big mistake.

If she has peed him off then it was a good speech.

Remaining ( and paying to remain ) in important EU regulatory organisations has been welcomed by the industry bodies concerned.

Basically, she wants every bit from the EU (including migrants) without being a member ... how deluded can she be ? Like I said, it's all want want want ...
I would love enjoying facilities from other clubs without being a member, but it doesn't seem to work like that.
On the Irish border though, she did not give a solution, did she ?
And, like said, the Gibraltar problem doesn't seem to exist.
Apart from having a good laugh, how does the EU follow this up ? How does one negotiate with someone living in lalaland ? Tick tock tick tock

amideislas Mar 2nd 2018 6:58 pm

Is it worth what?

Gee... I dunno. What do you think they're talking about? I mean, everything's going so well. Isn't it?

Red Eric Mar 2nd 2018 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12454558)
Apart from having a good laugh, how does the EU follow this up ?

According to Eurosceptic legend, what they do now is to force the UK to have another referendum.

I'm not sure exactly how that works - no doubt one of them will be able to explain it.

Annetje Mar 2nd 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12454642)
According to Eurosceptic legend, what they do now is to force the UK to have another referendum.

I'm not sure exactly how that works - no doubt one of them will be able to explain it.

Right ... eerrrmmmm ..... right yes ...... huh .... ???? :confused::confused::confused:

mrken30 Mar 2nd 2018 8:00 pm

Even more reason for making food trade agreements with the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/animals-...chicken-plants