British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Cape Blue Mar 2nd 2018 10:29 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12454272)
:banghead: Now we’re supposed to sit & listen to her ****!!!Visions???
All I want to know is where I stand post 2019 when the UK takes away my EU Citizenship and it returns to the 1950’s, so as a Brit, I can determine if I can apply for EU Citizenship elsewhere.
I suspect I won’t be alone in that.
This is the danger when robo-cued politicos spray their gibber-babble of visionary aspirations & sub-normal-imagery all over the place. Cue Gove to tell us in that whiney choir-boys’ stutter of his that “it was the greatest speech since Churchill’s ‘Fight them on the Beaches’” afterwards.
God, I despair of it……. ( :frown: Yes, I have a head-ache this morning)

What is it you don't know about your situation post 2019? It seems pretty clear that if you are living in the UK you will no longer be an EU citizen and it will be down to each EU country what systems they enact if you want to move there.

EMR Mar 2nd 2018 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12454294)
Quite frequent in the remainiac press - project fear all over again.

It will all be all right after Mays speech this afternoon.
The snow will disappear, the sun come out and spring flowers will suddenly appear , the air will be filled with the sound of birdsong as tbroughout the country crowds Will rush into the streets, remainers and leave voters joining hands singing " land of hope and Glory".
Flights into the UK will be Full of trade delegations offering to take anything and everything we produce demanding nothing in return.
The pound will surge .
It's all going to be OK.

Cape Blue Mar 2nd 2018 10:51 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12454306)
It will all be all right after Mays speech this afternoon.
The snow will disappear, the sun come out and spring flowers will suddenly appear , the air will be filled with the sound of birdsong as tbroughout the country crowds Will rush into the streets, remainers and leave voters joining hands singing " land of hope and Glory".
Flights into the UK will be Full of trade delegations offering to take anything and everything we produce demanding nothing in return.
The pound will surge .
It's all going to be OK.

What you need to understand EMR is that daily or weekly or even monthly ups and downs in the currency FX, house prices, GDP growth, consumer confidence, etc etc mean absolutely zilch in the scheme of things - just noise for the twitterati.

May is doing what she was elected to do - enact the brexit vote. She has no choice at all about staying in the SM as the FOM was clearly a key facet of the leave vote, no matter how much remainers like to pretend it wasn't (even whilst at the same time lambasting leavers for being xenophobic).

Staying in the CU without being in the SM looks a lot shakier - no ability to negotiate new FTAs with the rest of the world, key trade developments negotiated for us with no input from us, continued deep oversight of the ECJ.

Sure there is an issue at the paddy border, but we shouldn't let the issues of a few hundred extremists colour the best option for 65 million.

EMR Mar 2nd 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12454307)
What you need to understand EMR is that daily or weekly or even monthly ups and downs in the currency FX, house prices, GDP growth, consumer confidence, etc etc mean absolutely zilch in the scheme of things - just noise for the twitterati.

May is doing what she was elected to do - enact the brexit vote. She has no choice at all about staying in the SM as the FOM was clearly a key facet of the leave vote, no matter how much remainers like to pretend it wasn't (even whilst at the same time lambasting leavers for being xenophobic).

Staying in the CU without being in the SM looks a lot shakier - no ability to negotiate new FTAs with the rest of the world, key trade developments negotiated for us with no input from us, continued deep oversight of the ECJ.

Sure there is an issue at the paddy border, but we shouldn't let the issues of a few hundred extremists colour the best option for 65 million.

I agree we should not let a few tory brexit extremists colour what is best for ALL who live and work in the UK..
As for your currency claims, have you never heard of something called inflation and the currency effect feeding through to prices.
Probably does not affect you but those on min wage etc would not agree..

jimenato Mar 2nd 2018 11:00 am

...so what's going to happen at the Paddy Border as you call it?

jetsam1 Mar 2nd 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12454311)
...so what's going to happen at the Paddy Border as you call it?

That turn of phrase speaks volumes does it not?

Red Eric Mar 2nd 2018 12:21 pm

Never a better time to hear from Dan Hannan, speaking immediately after the referendum. I'm sure he's refined his approach by now but well worth a little trip down memory lane :

DaveLovesDee Mar 2nd 2018 12:24 pm

May was elected to enact the best interests of 65 million UK residents, and the millions of British nationals abroad. Not 17.4 million Leavers, or 16 million Remainers. Everyone.

I don't think whether the UK stays in the SM or CU should be solely a government decision, Parliament should at the very least have a debate and vote on it.. This is why many of us support a second referendum solely on this question.

A. Should we leave with no deal?
B. Should the UK leave the SM and CU with whatever deal is agreed with the EU?
C. Should the UK remain in the SM and CU?

If you want the benefits, those are the consequences.

The 'paddy' border as you put it, wis very important. And how many extremists will it take to colour the best option for 65 million UK residents (plus millions of Brits abroad)? The residents of NI, the residents of Scotland, or 17.4 million?

Annetje Mar 2nd 2018 1:17 pm

Don't think I ever heard the word ''Want'' so often in 1 speech.
How can she talk soooo long and not say anything ?

I threw all the popcorn at the tele, now what .....

DaveLovesDee Mar 2nd 2018 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12454396)

Make more popcorn....

EMR Mar 2nd 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12454396)

On going relationship with the judgements of the ECJ
End of free movement does not mean End of migration.
Continuing to pay into those organisations deemed important for the .UK.
Retaining and maintaing standards and regulations in line those in with EU .
Ŕetainjng and maintaining environmental food std a andcregilationx in line with the EU.
Continuing reciprocal arrangements for the fishing industry.
Brexit light.

Looking fwd to hearing Farage, Smogg at al.

jimenato Mar 2nd 2018 1:52 pm

The most important question was asked by a (I think) German journalist just now...

"It Brexit worth it?"

She basically said "If that was an attempt to say will we think again on Brexit the answer is no."

But that was not the question.

Of course May didn't answer the question as asked - because she dare not.

la mancha Mar 2nd 2018 1:53 pm

Is it worth what?

Annetje Mar 2nd 2018 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12454432)
Is it worth what?

Did the country come together during her speech ? I think that was one of her goals today ... And the whole Government is now lined up behind her ?

Shard Mar 2nd 2018 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12454402)
On going relationship with the judgements of the ECJ
End of free movement does not mean End of migration.
Continuing to pay into those organisations deemed important for the .UK.
Retaining and maintaing standards and regulations in line those in with EU .
Ŕetainjng and maintaining environmental food std a andcregilationx in line with the EU.
Continuing reciprocal arrangements for the fishing industry.
Brexit light.

Looking fwd to hearing Farage, Smogg at al.

Thanks. Couldn't bear to sit through it live, will catch it on the news. My hopes are not high.