British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Feb 22nd 2018 11:46 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12448196)
They already had a vote on the deal - the deal was brexit.

Technically, you're right, but not in the way you say.

The vote was Remain or Leave, the deal was the agreements Cameron succeeded in negotiating most of what he asked for from the EU. Had the vote been Remain, we'd have had yet more opt-outs passed by the EU.

There was no Brexit deal on the referendum ballot. Still not a deal ready yet either.

BristolUK Feb 22nd 2018 12:16 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12448291)
I honestly feel sorry for people like you who can't resist a petty little dig in any sort of post they do online,

Not in any post, just some. And generally those where the person has really set themselves up for it in some way.

Have you not seen the posts from the mods about the nature of TIO by the way?

it must say something about your own life and a fundamental lack of happiness or satisfaction in it that makes you want to hate on others.
:rofl:

I didn't have to extend any line - my laptop URL line runs across the top of my chrome browser.
Good for you. I still question what makes you look at the url to examine every single slash and word in it though. I thought the purpose of newspaper articles was to look at the headlines, read any sub heading and if moved to read on, read the rest.

It seems rather strange to look at the url and give 2 words therein greater importance than the 2000 word article and then claim "typical Guardian" :confused:

BristolUK Feb 22nd 2018 12:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12448291)
...makes you want to hate on others....

Hate?

No, there are very few I hate. Thatcher would be the most recent one.

Now ridicule, that's another matter. I suppose if I have a regret it's ridiculing people when it's so easy to do so.

Perhaps you could be more of a challenge? :lol:

amideislas Feb 22nd 2018 1:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12448284)
The difference being that we tried the EEC (etc) for 40+ years, whereas we haven't even left yet and tried freedom before the remainers are trying to overturn the democratic vote.

Partly because the elites and their project fear juggernaut is getting traction, but predominantly because any planned referendum gives an incentive for the EU to play hardball and sabotages the UK's negotiating strength.

Haven't tried "freedom" yet?

Yep, it'll be great to "try" it. Away with those "shackles", and into the great blue yonder.

I reckon it'll be just like the freedom you feel when choosing Virgin mobile or using Fairy liquid. And we all know how liberating that is.


It's gonna be great.

Fredbargate Feb 22nd 2018 2:04 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12448279)
Fred lives in Gibraltar so again does not speak for the British.

The Gibraltar passport is a British passport issued to British Citizens

EMR Feb 22nd 2018 2:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12448396)
The Gibraltar passport is a British passport issued to British Citizens

But you still do not speak for the British nor the 96% pro remain Gibraltarians or the chief minister.
You just speak for yourself.

Ingles Feb 22nd 2018 3:21 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Just one word "Pollocks"

"It's a fine mess you got us in Boris !"

UK driving licences may no longer be recognised in Europe after Brexit, EU suggests

EMR Feb 22nd 2018 3:42 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12448449)
Just one word "Pollocks"

"It's a fine mess you got us in Boris !"

UK driving licences may no longer be recognised in Europe after Brexit, EU suggests

This typical anti EU rubbish from Telegraph , expect more of the same and worse from the Express and Mail.

amideislas Feb 22nd 2018 3:45 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12448449)
Just one word "Pollocks"

"It's a fine mess you got us in Boris !"

UK driving licences may no longer be recognised in Europe after Brexit, EU suggests

Oh, pleeeaase... A whole continent that thinks it's perfectly OK to drive on the wrong side of the road would refuse to recognise driving licences from a country that bloody well knows which side to drive on?

Cape Blue Feb 22nd 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12448464)
Oh, pleeeaase... A whole continent that thinks it's perfectly OK to drive on the wrong side of the road would refuse to recognise driving licences from a country that bloody well knows which side to drive on?

Wise words.

007Steve Feb 22nd 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12448396)
The Gibraltar passport is a British passport issued to British Citizens

[QUOTE=EMR:
[I]The Gibraltar passport is a British passport issued to British Citizens[/I]
But you still do not speak for the British nor the 96% pro remain Gibraltarians or the chief minister. You just speak for yourself.

... And there,, right there is the point which will eventually see Gibraltar end-up, imo, under (at least joint but more likely) sole Spanish control. It's the reason why Spain has nothing to do except sit back and watch things fall into their lap. Other than promising to keep the military comms/eavesdropping centre for NATO, they can't lose.
The UK Govt. keeps banging on about NI and its border, but seems strangely quiet about Gibralter; - only re-chirping the most vague & loose commitments when cornered. THAT imo, tells us all we need to know. Keep an eye on Gibraltar post 2019..... :nod: :nod: :nod:

Cape Blue Feb 22nd 2018 4:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
[QUOTE=007Steve;12448489]

Originally Posted by EMR:
[I
The Gibraltar passport is a British passport issued to British Citizens[/I]
But you still do not speak for the British nor the 96% pro remain Gibraltarians or the chief minister. You just speak for yourself.

... And there,, right there is the point which will eventually see Gibraltar end-up, imo, under (at least joint but more likely) sole Spanish control. It's the reason why Spain has nothing to do except sit back and watch things fall into their lap. Other than promising to keep the military comms/eavesdropping centre for NATO, they can't lose.
The UK Govt. keeps banging on about NI and its border, but seems strangely quiet about Gibralter; - only re-chirping the most vague & loose commitments when cornered. THAT imo, tells us all we need to know. Keep an eye on Gibraltar post 2019..... :nod: :nod: :nod:

You don't know the people of Gib - the one thing they are more aligned upon than remain in the referendum is the remaining with Britain and not Spain.

EMR Feb 22nd 2018 4:54 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
[QUOTE=Cape Blue;12448493]

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12448489)

You don't know the people of Gib - the one thing they are more aligned upon than remain in the referendum is the remaining with Britain and not Spain.

I am sure those who will lose their jobs in the event of a hard brexit will agree with you.

007Steve Feb 22nd 2018 5:19 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
[QUOTE=EMR;12448507
I am sure those who will lose their jobs in the event of a hard brexit will agree with you.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully EMR, We’re not discussing what the people of Gibraltar may, or may not want, they don’t count to the UK Govt. who’s likely future conduct is the issue – and let’s be blunt, it’s not a pretty record
The UK has form– or as I think the correct term is ‘Previous’.
If Spain is the difference in getting a ‘good-trade-deal’ then Gibraltar will get sold down the river along with its passport holders. Snr. Picado may be a politician but he’s at least pragmatic. He can see the historical writing on the wall; - promises followed by betrayal….Kenya, Uganda, Rhodesia (pre & post), East of Suez, Aden, and who could ever forget the promises to Hong Kong?
As the “Mother-Country” prepares to scuttle back into her Sacred-Homeland (in Rees-Moggs’ & his fellow swivel-eyed-loons-imaginations) there’s every reason to suppose that history will repeat itself, and absolutely NO undertaking, or credible belief to conclude that it won’t.
Brexit, imo, is the UK’s opportunity to shut the doors & “go isolationist” – it’s what 52% want and voted for. I have no issue with that, but to maintain the fiction that the UK will somehow ‘standby the people of Gibraltar’ in exchange for a trade-deal is simply risible.
But then, we don’t have long to wait now to find out… tick-tock, tick-tock.

amideislas Feb 22nd 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12448519)
Respectfully EMR, We’re not discussing what the people of Gibraltar may, or may not want, they don’t count to the UK Govt. who’s likely future conduct is the issue – and let’s be blunt, it’s not a pretty record
The UK has form– or as I think the correct term is ‘Previous’.
If Spain is the difference in getting a ‘good-trade-deal’ then Gibraltar will get sold down the river along with its passport holders. Snr. Picado may be a politician but he’s at least pragmatic. He can see the historical writing on the wall; - promises followed by betrayal….Kenya, Uganda, Rhodesia (pre & post), East of Suez, Aden, and who could ever forget the promises to Hong Kong?
As the “Mother-Country” prepares to scuttle back into her Sacred-Homeland (in Rees-Moggs’ & his fellow swivel-eyed-loons-imaginations) there’s every reason to suppose that history will repeat itself, and absolutely NO undertaking, or credible belief to conclude that it won’t.
Brexit, imo, is the UK’s opportunity to shut the doors & “go isolationist” – it’s what 52% want and voted for. I have no issue with that, but to maintain the fiction that the UK will somehow ‘standby the people of Gibraltar’ in exchange for a trade-deal is simply risible.
But then, we don’t have long to wait now to find out… tick-tock, tick-tock.

Gibraltar has a certain strategic military value. If Britain controls the straits, then that has political leverage. Especially in a conflict. Britain will never give it up, unless it becomes a short-term bargaining chip in times of desperation.

But yes, the handful that live there are comparatively insignificant in the political macro view.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:11 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.