British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Sep 12th 2016 12:28 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12050001)
\

Oh my god Paulry.. where have you been since the 80's? Oh yes i see hanging upside down in the Antipodes..

The BRITISH were to blame for destroying their own Manufacturing base.. They allowed dear Maggie to do it.. The 'fear mongering' was rife then.. only it was directed at the North and the Midlands.. 'those disgusting places full of people who couldn't talk proper and 'made things' for god's sake.. Worse. they wouldn't do as they were told.. They organised against unfair practices by their southern boss's. She had to put a stop to it.... She did.. No more manufacturing...:eek: Clever eh...

Nothing to do with the Unions of course, who would walk off the job at the drop of a hat.
Nothing to do with the previous labour govt of course, which sat back and fiddled while Rome was burning.
Nothing to do with the fact that the unions had opposed almost every attempt at modernisation on the premise that jobs might be lost.
Well they certainly achieved that alright and by the time Maggie took over nothing short of drastic surgery and a degree of suffering was going to turn us around again. :cool:

By the way I think we've been here before GeniB. :nod:

Fredbargate Sep 12th 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12050001)
\

Oh my god Paulry.. where have you been since the 80's? Oh yes i see hanging upside down in the Antipodes..

The BRITISH were to blame for destroying their own Manufacturing base.. They allowed dear Maggie to do it.. The 'fear mongering' was rife then.. only it was directed at the North and the Midlands.. 'those disgusting places full of people who couldn't talk proper and 'made things' for god's sake.. Worse. they wouldn't do as they were told.. They organised against unfair practices by their southern boss's. She had to put a stop to it.... She did.. No more manufacturing...:eek: Clever eh...

GeniB I suggest you read paulry's post when you are in a better frame of mind

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12049940)
Which is exactly what I'm saying, Britain needs to revive its manufacturing base. To do that it needs to change its mindset and rekindle Britain's entrepreneurial spirit that was severely damaged by global corporatism. It's time you stopped slagging off our country, cease selling it down the river to finance your selfish creature comforts. :thumbdown: Get off your workshy arse and put something back in for a change.

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12049934)
:rofl:

Dear oh dear,

I see you are trying to resurrect the failed and much ridiculed fearmongering campaign from Cameron and his cronies, now just a sad and pathetic piece of history.

Well best of luck with that, as you obviously have nothing new to offer, but don't be surprised if it is equally ridiculed. :rofl:

I "resurrected" nothing. It's simply a basic fact that if Britain is no longer the gateway to the world's largest market, there's little point in global companies continuing to be based there. The stream of companies preparing for that contingency are a testament to that.

But you know, brexit is brexit.

la mancha Sep 12th 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050064)
I "resurrected" nothing. It's simply a basic fact that if Britain is no longer the gateway to the world's largest market, there's little point in global companies continuing to be based there. The stream of companies preparing for that contingency are a testament to that.

But you know, brexit is brexit.

This, and many other of your posts, seem to suggest that you think the UK will be cut off from the single market. Is this what you are saying?

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 1:41 pm

Presuming the UK leaves the EU, it would leave the single market. And the brexit team is now starting to admit that access to the single market will be lost.

This is what would actually happen if we implemented the Brexit economic plans suggested by politicians

David Davis, the Brexit secretary, told the House of Commons last week that it was “very improbable” the UK will remain a member of the single market.

In particular it would mean financial firms based in London would lose their “passport” to sell services across the bloc. Many have made it clear they will move their European headquarters out of the UK capital if this happens, taking jobs with them. Leaving the single market will also almost certainly mean that the euro-denominated derivatives clearing trade will be forced to move from London into a location in the EU, again costing jobs in the City.

This matters for our balance of payments too. Financial services accounted for around a third of the UK’s £90bn of services exports to the EU in 2015. And our surplus on EU financial services trade accounted for a quarter of our entire services export surplus last year. If Britain’s traditional services surplus gets eroded our already ominously large current account deficit threatens to yawn even wider.

If Davis thinks single market membership is “improbable” it means these negative economic outcomes for the UK are all probable.

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 1:52 pm

No worries though, apparently office space in Europe's key cities is in very high demand, as banks and global corporations planning their moves are finding out.

Office space vacancies in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris at all time lows.

With vacancy rates for prime space in the business districts of Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam at the lowest levels in a decade, there are only a handful of empty and appropriate office buildings in those cities capable of housing the thousands of employees that banks might need to relocate, according to data from property broker Savills Plc. In Dublin, there are currently no buildings big enough.

la mancha Sep 12th 2016 1:53 pm

I asked if it was what you are saying.

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 1:58 pm

Yes.

Yet none of these are my words. It's just where it's heading now.

But you know, Brexit is Brexit. That's all that counts.

la mancha Sep 12th 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050093)
Yes.

Yet none of these are my words. It's just where it's heading now.

But you know, Brexit is Brexit. That's all that counts.

What is said and what happens can be two entirely different happenings, so stop salivating over it. Office space now, is it? Maybe we are playing good cop, bad cop. Maybe we are letting the other side know we are prepared for it. Maybe we are putting the frighteners on some member states. Maybe…maybe…maybe you are just posting a load of shite.

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 2:09 pm

Well, this is the direction it seems to be heading. There's plenty of evidence to support that.

There's precious little evidence that the new government is prepared. Nobody bothered to look at the details (in fact, referred to them as "scaremongering"). Only now are the real contents of pandoras box being exposed to the dream team. And so now there is a systematic backtracking of each naive euphoria they believed in and promised.

The EU knows it, too.

But you know, brexit is brexit. The majority voted.

la mancha Sep 12th 2016 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050107)
Well, this is the direction it seems to be heading. There's plenty of evidence to support that.

There's precious little evidence that the new government is prepared. Nobody bothered to look at the details. Only now are the real contents of pandoras box being exposed to the dream team. And so now there is a systematic backtracking of each naive euphoria they believed in and promised.

The EU knows it, too.

But you know, brexit is brexit. The majority voted.

You know all this, do you, privy to the inner circles of Parliament and Brussels? Or are you just going by what you read in the press because nothing has happened yet?

Let’s hope we stay in the single market: for the good of the Eurozone.

The president of Majorca's Chamber of Commerce, José Luis Roses, says that there is a great deal of concern among exporters.

"It will be very negative for the Balearic and European economy and will affect more than 200 businesses on the islands."

Joan Company, the president of the Asaja agricultural businesses association and also the CEO of the Esplet Sa Pobla cooperative, believes that the export of potatoes is already being affected by talk of Brexit. He hopes that, as happened with the Scottish referendum, the tide will turn and that there will not be a vote to leave. "Here, we have everything to lose."

Last year, the value of exports to the UK (excluding tourism) was 46.3 million euros, and in the first quarter of 2016 it was 8.6 million.

I think the Eurozone are more fearful than we are. Let us all hope Brexit turns out for the good,

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12050115)
You know all this, do you, privy to the inner circles of Parliament and Brussels? Or are you just going by what you read in the press because nothing has happened yet?

Let’s hope we stay in the single market: for the good of the Eurozone.

The president of Majorca's Chamber of Commerce, José Luis Roses, says that there is a great deal of concern among exporters.

"It will be very negative for the Balearic and European economy and will affect more than 200 businesses on the islands."

Joan Company, the president of the Asaja agricultural businesses association and also the CEO of the Esplet Sa Pobla cooperative, believes that the export of potatoes is already being affected by talk of Brexit. He hopes that, as happened with the Scottish referendum, the tide will turn and that there will not be a vote to leave. "Here, we have everything to lose."

Last year, the value of exports to the UK (excluding tourism) was 46.3 million euros, and in the first quarter of 2016 it was 8.6 million.

I think the Eurozone are more fearful than we are. Let us all hope Brexit turns out for the good,

These aren't my words or my actions. They are the words and actions of the government, the banks, businesses, and analysts.

Just out of curiosity, why would Britain stop buying European products? Is there a plan to ban European imports post-brexit? I hadn't heard. But that would be pretty bad for Britain, who is highly dependent upon them. I suppose if the pound tanks again (likely when article 50 is triggered), inflation could make everything more expensive, including imports from all over the globe.

Regarding Mallorca, yes, Magaluf will miss the Brits (there's maybe 200 businesses there), but I see Magaluf is suddenly being promoted to Germans and other Europeans now. I was in playa de palma the other day (the German party beach), and all kinds of adverts for Magaluf were up on billboards, big screens, etc. Previously, Germans had never heard of Magaluf.

And considering how out of control Magaluf has become in the past 5 years, I think they're ready for a change.

Vexcore Sep 12th 2016 2:42 pm

Lets Look at this...

1: Scots won't get a second Ref *Nicola will go soon* shes a vicious cow
2: Brexit is Brexit (meaning NO EU LAW AT ALL involves us, anything to do with the EU ceases to exist
3: The high court, will now have it's 'OWN' say no more EU bollocks interfering
4: Sometimes around late 2017 to mid 2018 i expect the blue passports to return.
5: Freedom of movement will cease to exist, and it SHOULD we don't need to have that BS to be a member of the so called 'single market' there's a world out there ffs lol

The Remain camp *or g00ns* Really wanted/enjoyed the whole Union to control our country? at the end of the day, isn't it common sense for another country not to get involved in our affairs.???? its our country we do what we want..... sure we have a allies and friend with the EU but thats it.

(no more EU telling us what to do BOLLOCKS) - this is what i find hard to believe the re-moan group are ok with that? Bunch of deluded idiots. (if you lot love eu so much then go to france/germany/italy) and LIVE THERE lol

SO KEEP CALM EVERYONE AND F****K THE EU

LET THE TROLLS AND FLAMES BEGIN.

*Drum roll please*

- VX

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12050125)

*Drum roll please*

- VX

Yes, a new thread of trolling begun. Thanks for that. Somehow I think it will be short lived though.

Lion in Winter Sep 12th 2016 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12050125)
Lets Look at this...

1: Scots won't get a second Ref *Nicola will go soon* shes a vicious cow
2: Brexit is Brexit (meaning NO EU LAW AT ALL involves us, anything to do with the EU ceases to exist
3: The high court, will now have it's 'OWN' say no more EU bollocks interfering
4: Sometimes around late 2017 to mid 2018 i expect the blue passports to return.
5: Freedom of movement will cease to exist, and it SHOULD we don't need to have that BS to be a member of the so called 'single market' there's a world out there ffs lol

The Remain camp *or g00ns* Really wanted/enjoyed the whole Union to control our country? at the end of the day, isn't it common sense for another country not to get involved in our affairs.???? its our country we do what we want..... sure we have a allies and friend with the EU but thats it.

(no more EU telling us what to do BOLLOCKS) - this is what i find hard to believe the re-moan group are ok with that? Bunch of deluded idiots. (if you lot love eu so much then go to france/germany/italy) and LIVE THERE lol

SO KEEP CALM EVERYONE AND F****K THE EU

*Drum roll please*

- VX

Have you tried blood pressure meds?