British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

BristolUK Feb 20th 2018 6:17 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12446641)
Today's Guardian we have:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...-brexit-racism
Note the "brexit-racism" in the link title and how he "felt like" they would say it even though no one actually did whatsoever...

That's interesting. I hadn't seen that piece yesterday but I notice the headline is Polski sklep-stick – is Brexit Britain ready for eastern European standup? followed by A wave of comedians from Poland, Hungary, Latvia and Romania are helping to tackle stereotypes about EU immigrants in the UK so it's not actually about "scaremongering" or racism anyway. Weird that racism would be in the url but nobody's looking at that unless they copy/paste.

But oddly enough (or not) once that "paranoia" bit is out of the way there's not even a mention of Brexit/racism - in fact there are actually comments about stereotypes in the countries the comedians come from - until the last para

It might also dispel some Brexit myths. Or reinforce them while laughing a lot. “I think I’ve been heckled about my nationality maybe twice in over a thousand shows,” says Isac. “I think that’s a pretty good ratio. I’ve only ever had another comedian say to me: ‘Go back to your country.’ Mostly, the British are polite and non-confrontational. I do feel welcome here.”
You made it sound like something it wasn't.

007Steve Feb 20th 2018 6:29 pm

1 Attachment(s)
It's another winner... :nod:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8219706.html
I suspect (r.b.t.l) what he's actually trying to tell the UK audience is something like below... but can't as he's in 'enemy territory'

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2018 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12446719)
Don,t you mean " imported excessive persistent mass uncontrolled posting "

Well I did import myself from abroad. ;)

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2018 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12446778)
That's interesting. I hadn't seen that piece yesterday but I notice the headline is Polski sklep-stick – is Brexit Britain ready for eastern European standup? followed by A wave of comedians from Poland, Hungary, Latvia and Romania are helping to tackle stereotypes about EU immigrants in the UK so it's not actually about "scaremongering" or racism anyway. Weird that racism would be in the url but nobody's looking at that unless they copy/paste.

But oddly enough (or not) once that "paranoia" bit is out of the way there's not even a mention of Brexit/racism - in fact there are actually comments about stereotypes in the countries the comedians come from - until the last para

You made it sound like something it wasn't.

It's a typical Guardian argument - it leads with "brexit-racist", then the guy talks about how he "thinks" they all want to say go-home even though they don't - they're bigoted leavers for not finding his jokes funny, but the reality, tucked away at the end is that there really isn't any bigotry at all - that's classic Daily Mail tactics.

Here we have:

Pity the Brexit 52%, led by cowards and charlatans
But then goes onto talk about UKIP and its charlatans and cowards - UKIP do not represent the 52%, the vast majority of the 52% do not and have never voted for UKIP, it's just the typical Guardian way of slyly linking the two.

Later in the article they admit this, but the seed is already sown in the headline. Again, typical Daily Mail tactics of the no smoke without fire type.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2018 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12446792)
It's another winner... :nod:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8219706.html
I suspect (r.b.t.l) what he's actually trying to tell the UK audience is something like below... but can't as he's in 'enemy territory'

Good to see a bit of hardball in the negotiation, there's been plenty coming the other way.

EMR Feb 20th 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12446811)
Well I did import myself from abroad. ;)

So you are migrant then, as Monty Python said " say no more ".
Being a migrant you may not understand BRITISH humour.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12446825)
So you are migrant then, as Monty Python said " say no more ".
Being a migrant you may not understand BRITISH humour.

I imported myself back from the States.

DaveLovesDee Feb 20th 2018 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12446629)
I have never said migration has any impact on unemployment - that's called the lump of labour fallacy. Yet another strawman argument.

I wasn't saying you were. What you are saying is that you object to migrants being paid the same in-work payments that Brits get. Which is guaranteed under EU law.

The answer is to eliminate in-work benefits entirely.

Red Eric Feb 20th 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12446816)
But then goes onto talk about UKIP and its charlatans and cowards - UKIP do not represent the 52%, the vast majority of the 52% do not and have never voted for UKIP, it's just the typical Guardian way of slyly linking the two.

Talking of which, did you know that according to polling, it is demonstrable that The Will of The People is nowhere near as firm on matters of immigration as you have been pushily and slyly linking?

And do you, as a recent self-proclaimed convert to the hardest of Brexits, actually have anything else to talk about vis-a-vis the downsides of the EU other than immigration, or is that it?

DaveLovesDee Feb 20th 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12446817)
Good to see a bit of hardball in the negotiation, there's been plenty coming the other way.

Withholding divorce bill if the UK doesn't get the deal it wants....

What a way to encourage prospective future non-EU FTA partners that we're capable of being reasonable in negotiations...

EMR Feb 20th 2018 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12446833)
I imported myself back from the States.

Why too many immigrants, must have been a shock when you landed.

Red Eric Feb 20th 2018 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12446641)
Yes I read the Guardian, but less now that it has become a comic rather than a serious paper. I also read the Indy, the Economist and actually get a lot of information online from discussing things with people like (some) of you lot.

Ohhhh you!

Don't mention it :hand: Really. It's a pleasure and it's what forums are for.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2018 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12446837)
I wasn't saying you were. What you are saying is that you object to migrants being paid the same in-work payments that Brits get. Which is guaranteed under EU law.

The answer is to eliminate in-work benefits entirely.

Sorry, I thought when you said:

It seems like except for a 4yr period 2009-2013, your 'mass immigration' barely had an effect on unemployment in the UK. And can it be proved that migration was the sole cause?
You were suggesting I was saying that migration impacted unemployment.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12446840)
Talking of which, did you know that according to polling, it is demonstrable that The Will of The People is nowhere near as firm on matters of immigration as you have been pushily and slyly linking?

And do you, as a recent self-proclaimed convert to the hardest of Brexits, actually have anything else to talk about vis-a-vis the downsides of the EU other than immigration, or is that it?

I don't see too much wrong with the EU aside from uncontrolled mass migration.

Sure, I fail to see why the UK gets a £9Bn shake-down to enrich Spanish farmers and Romanian road builders and I think the ever closer union will eventually cause the UK a choice, but there are many positive aspects of the EU.

The will of the people was clear.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2018 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12446841)
Withholding divorce bill if the UK doesn't get the deal it wants....

What a way to encourage prospective future non-EU FTA partners that we're capable of being reasonable in negotiations...

They already played the "we will not speak about trade deals until you agree the money" game - a hardball from them and now they have one back.