British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

shirley and anthony hide Sep 11th 2016 1:37 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12049225)
You could have added the next sentence as well.

A rise of £800 million to £43.8 billion is only 0.018%. I know £800 million is such a big number, but in the context of the story, it really isn't.

Your calculator needs a new battery

Dick Dasterdly Sep 11th 2016 1:38 pm

You really need to catch up DLD.

Brexit: EU nationals with permanent residence 'can stay in UK' - BBC News

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12049241)
According to remoaners it's bad when it goes up and it's bad when it comes down. :confused:

According to some Brexshiters, the pound never dropped after the vote.

Assanah Sep 11th 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12049229)
But but but the Brexit vote devalued the pound so its all good isn't it ;)

Of course don't worry. Everything will be fine. The whole world is on its knees begging the UK to make a trade deal with them, expecting nothing in return. Haven't you noticed the panicking Europeans sending secret special envoys to the UK begging them to leave the UK market open for EU goods? I mean look at the numbers - the EU market is in deep recession because of Brexit with much worse to come!

For the immeasurable honor to be allowed to trade with the UK we Europeans will even adapt to British customs and politely say "please" and "thank you" while serving you your afternoon tea. Promised :cool: ;)

amideislas Sep 11th 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12049216)
Whether to have a referendum or not was debated, as was what the rules were to be.

Once the government has decided what they want Brexit to be, Parliament should decide at what point to trigger A50.

I'm expecting the government to say that either we get everything we want, or EU nationals without PR will have to leave the UK.

Well, for better or for worse, the EU holds all of the face cards in this game. They could just say "no" to everything, and the UK would bear the brunt of the suffering. It's not the EU's problem. It's Britain's.

But I don't expect such an obtuse stance. The UK won't be kicking out Europeans and the EU won't be kicking out Brits. Nobody would benefit from that.

There are thousands of detailed agreements that have to arranged. From agriculture to shipping to telecommunications to labour to pensions to ... You name it. The dust won't settle for more than a decade.

What they need to sort out straight away is the big stuff with broad strokes. Trade, immigration, security, etc. And again, it's Britain that has to sort out the details of its own policy. The EU already has all that sorted for itself. So, the burden is about 90% on Britain to sort itself out. And the EU is in the commanding position in the negotiations. They have far less to lose by just saying no.

Fredbargate Sep 11th 2016 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide (Post 12049246)

:goodpost:

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide (Post 12049246)

Sorry, it was a 0.0186% rise. Fixed it in the previous post. Thanks.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12049216)
I'm expecting the government to say that either we get everything we want, or EU nationals without PR will have to leave the UK.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12049249)

Dick. Read what I wrote again.

Now read the first sentences from the link you posted.

EU nationals with a right to permanent residence can stay in the UK after it leaves the EU and enjoy the same rights, a top civil servant has said.
Mark Sedwill said the rights of those granted residence after five years were "quite clear" in law and it amounted to a guarantee of their future status.

But he told MPs the rights of other EU nationals were subject to negotiations on Brexit and the "will of Parliament".

Ministers have been urged not to use EU citizens as "bargaining chips".
My post specifically excluded those with Permanent Residence. You really need to pay attention, Dick.

EMR Sep 11th 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12049249)

Really, when did Teresa May announce this ?

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12049261)
:goodpost:

What's the correct percentage then?

Lion in Winter Sep 11th 2016 2:24 pm

Ah, there you go. Give 'em all work permits and then let them in. No points system because "it doesn't work". Then the politicians can say they are "controlling immigration" and the people can go to the UK and work as desired.

A distinction without a difference from what we have now. With British citizens needing visas for Europe. We shall see. Maybe. Eventually.

Work permits among Brexit options, home secretary says - BBC News

paulry Sep 11th 2016 2:34 pm

Work permits are temporary residence visas without access to benefits, etc. When the permit expires, holders will have to either renew or return to their country of origin.

shirley and anthony hide Sep 11th 2016 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12049266)
What's the correct percentage then?

Multiply your answer by a hundred.
Still a small amount though, and not likely to last

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide (Post 12049300)
Multiply your answer by a hundred.
Still a small amount though, and not likely to last

I see my error now. I was trying to do it in my head.

Thanks. It's 1.86% growth.

jonesy7 Sep 11th 2016 6:42 pm

Micheal o'leary is very pro European... Ryanair operates over 350 Boeing 737-800 aircraft, with a single 737-700 all made wear mmmmmmm the USA

shirley and anthony hide Sep 11th 2016 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by jonesy7 (Post 12049489)
Micheal o'leary is very pro European... Ryanair operates over 350 Boeing 737-800 aircraft, with a single 737-700 all made wear mmmmmmm the USA

Sure is
Quote:

" The most influential person in Europe in the last 20 to 30 years has been Margaret Thatcher. Without her we'd be all living in some French bloody unemployed republic."

Micheal O'Leary