British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Sep 11th 2016 12:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

I see Boris is refighting the brexit campaign pushing for a " hard " brexit .
Who will be the first of the three, Boris, Fox or Davies to get the push.
As Rudd said in an interview this morning there is only one person setting government policy and it certainly not Boris.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 11th 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12049185)
Dick, like most people, you don't even know what brexit is. And you don't care to know. Scotland has every reason to be concerned about a post-brexit future. They didn't vote for brexit.

To use YOUR VERY OWN ARGUMENT, .....not mine,

out of a Scottish eligible electorate of close on
4 Million, only 1.6 Million voted to remain,

so the vast majority DID NOT vote to remain. :p

EMR Sep 11th 2016 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12049161)
We've a majority vote of almost 1.27M to leave so don't need to have anything else. :lol:

Even prominent brexiters are now saying that the views of the 48% must be considered and not those of the ultra brexiters which it is estimated made up only 20% of those who voted leave.
IE , Those who want nothing to do with the EU and end immigration.

amideislas Sep 11th 2016 12:59 pm

I happen to hold Theresa May in very high regard. She's a pragmatist, and I like that. I question her judgement in her cabinet appointments, and all I can surmise is that it was a move to placate the party hardliners.

But she is in a nasty paradox. Rock and a hard place. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. It's all about damage control.

Ironically, her dream team isn't helping her. They're equally ignorant as they are dogmatic. She's having a hard time keeping them under control. They all have different views, but none of them knows what to do now. No plan. Just more rhetoric.

It's not pretty. And the EU is looking on with rolleyes. They DO have a plan. Be sure of that.

And I bet it sounds something like the usual suspects here: brexit is brexit. You wanted it, so have it.

Ok, retain EU citizens currently in Britain their resident rights, and we'll give British citizens in the EU the same.

Otherwise, what else do we have to talk about? Passporting? No. Single market? No. Travel visas? Maybe. Trade? Well, well here's our draft. Take it or leave it. Anything else?

Former Lancastrian Sep 11th 2016 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12049207)
I happen to hold Theresa May in very high regard. She's a pragmatist, and I like that. I question her judgement in her cabinet appointments, and all I can surmise is that it was a move to placate the party hardliners.

But she is in a nasty paradox. Rock and a hard place. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. It's all about damage control.

Ironically, her dream team isn't helping her. They're equally ignorant as they are dogmatic. She's having a hard time keeping them under control. They all have different views, but none of them knows what to do now. No plan. Just more rhetoric.

It's not pretty. And the EU is looking on with rolleyes. They DO have a plan. Be sure of that.

And I bet it sounds something like the usual suspects here: brexit is brexit. You wanted it, so have it.

Ok, retain EU citizens currently in Britain their resident rights, and we'll give British citizens in the EU the same.

Otherwise, what else do we have to talk about? Passporting? No. Single market? No. Travel visas? Maybe. Trade? Well, well here's our draft. Take it or leave it. Anything else?

Well its about time a woman had to make a decision as opposed to wondering what handbag and shoes to wear next :eek:

amideislas Sep 11th 2016 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12049201)
To use YOUR VERY OWN ARGUMENT, .....not mine,

out of a Scottish eligible electorate of close on
4 Million, only 1.6 Million voted to remain,

so the vast majority DID NOT vote to remain. :p

Yes, Dick, brexit is brexit. The majority voted. We know that now.

It's still of concern to the Scots. And a Scexit referendum is still an option. But it would be too hasty to do it now. Better to wait and see if the UK leaves the EU.

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12049126)
Bearing in mind the (then proposed) referendum was (obviously) debated prior to it happening & also bearing in mind the referendum has been held & the result counted why does it need to be debated again after the people have spoken & the democratic decision made?

Invoking Article 50: the Law, the Constitution and Politics

Whether to have a referendum or not was debated, as was what the rules were to be.

Once the government has decided what they want Brexit to be, Parliament should decide at what point to trigger A50.

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12049207)

I'm expecting the government to say that either we get everything we want, or EU nationals without PR will have to leave the UK.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 11th 2016 1:14 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/175686...exports-boost/

"TRADING PLACES Brexit has wiped more than £1bn off the UK’s vast trade deficit due to a post-referendum exports boost
New figures show the latest good news for UK trade was driven by a jump in exports, up by £800million to £43.8billion
BY HARRY COLE, WESTMINSTER CORRESPONDENT 9th September 2016, 4:22 pm"

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12049221)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/175686...exports-boost/

"TRADING PLACES Brexit has wiped more than £1bn off the UK’s vast trade deficit due to a post-referendum exports boost
New figures show the latest good news for UK trade was driven by a jump in exports, up by £800million to £43.8billion
BY HARRY COLE, WESTMINSTER CORRESPONDENT 9th September 2016, 4:22 pm"

You could have added the next sentence as well.

The decrease in the value of the pound has made UK goods more competitive on the global market, helping our exports to soar.
A rise of £800 million to £43.8 billion is only 0.0186%. I know £800 million is such a big number, but in the context of the story, it really isn't.

Former Lancastrian Sep 11th 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12049225)
You could have added the next sentence as well.

A rise of £800 million to £43.8 billion is only 0.018%. I know £800 million is such a big number, but in the context of the story, it really isn't.

But but but the Brexit vote devalued the pound so its all good isn't it ;)

Dick Dasterdly Sep 11th 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12049214)
Yes, Dick, brexit is brexit. The majority voted. We know that now.

It's still of concern to the Scots. And a Scexit referendum is still an option. But it would be too hasty to do it now. Better to wait and see if the UK leaves the EU.

So I take it you now admit the futility of all that nonsense you posted about the legitimacy of referendum result. :cool:

Assanah Sep 11th 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12049216)

I'm expecting the government to say that either we get everything we want, or EU nationals without PR will have to leave the UK.

You know divorces can be amicably or nasty. This would surely be a way to make the divorce very nasty.

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12049229)

Yeah, I was editing my previous comment while you were writing yours to reflect this.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 11th 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12049229)

According to remoaners it's bad when it goes up and it's bad when it comes down. :confused:

DaveLovesDee Sep 11th 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12049239)
You know divorces can be amicably or nasty. This would surely be a way to make the divorce very nasty.

It hasn't been pretty since we had the result. I think it'll get much worse before it gets better. :p

My first ex-wife still hates me from our divorce 27 years ago.