British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Fredbargate Feb 6th 2018 7:06 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12435799)
The older the voter the more likely they were to vote and to vote brexit.

Experience comes with age.

Cape Blue Feb 6th 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12435804)
Capes atitude to migrants is that of the odd logic of a man who says he is against burglary but not burglars.

The difference is that I don't believe many migrants are doing anything wrong - proper asylum seekers, legal migrants from the EU and beyond are doing what is perfectly legal and what is a reasonable and sensible and decent thing to do - burglars are not. So your analogy fails.

Cape Blue Feb 6th 2018 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12435805)

Indeed - we normally tend to think of elder people as wise and who can take a nuanced view, but remainiacs feel it's a valid term of abuse and that anyone older is a xenophobic fool harking back to empire.

EMR Feb 6th 2018 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12435805)

What experience, retired with little contact or knowledge of life and business in the 21st century.

EMR Feb 6th 2018 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12435806)
The difference is that I don't believe many migrants are doing anything wrong - proper asylum seekers, legal migrants from the EU and beyond are doing what is perfectly legal and what is a reasonable and sensible and decent thing to do - burglars are not. So your analogy fails.

Nothing wrong with legal EU migrants.
ALL, EU migrants are legal and therefore to use you own words are doing nothing wrong I will add so long as they stay within the law.
Therefore legal EU migrants are not to blame for what concerns you.

Cape Blue Feb 6th 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12435811)
Nothing wrong with legal EU migrants.
ALL, EU migrants are legal and therefore to use you own words are doing nothing wrong I will add so long as they stay within the law.
Therefore legal EU migrants are not to blame for what concerns you.

Yes, I don't blame EU immigrants, but that is not the same as the system that permits mass migration. I guess this is one of the fundamentals that remainers and leftists seem to struggle with - the system Vs the individual.

EMR Feb 6th 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12435812)
Yes, I don't blame EU immigrants, but that is not the same as the system that permits mass migration. I guess this is one of the fundamentals that remainers and leftists seem to struggle with - the system Vs the individual.

If you are against mass migration by default you must be against mass migrants..
You cannot disapprove of one without disapproving of the other.

amideislas Feb 6th 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12435802)
We were talking about the UK and the EU being a route for Muslim migration.

Not rationalising it, but I was aware of the Somali situation from Holland and as the article states, it also is a route for others via other EU countries into the UK. Sure 20,000 Somalis from Holland is not a large number, but not insignificant either. Why do you insist on denying the facts?

We already have sharia law applied in the UK just like we do Jewish law - whether this is through food handling or family tribunals and councils.

Well, it was the point I made (that many Brits have been led to fear that EU membership would ultimately result in sharia law ...or just lots of pesky Muslims..., which is about as rational as french artichokes causing shark attacks in the channel), And it was that very post you attempted to contradict with some distant rationalisation. I mean, why even bother defending it? The whole idea is simply delusional in the first place. And again, nothing to do with the EU.

EMR Feb 6th 2018 8:35 am

Who said the brexit campaign was over.
The Torygraph has an articles about a large number of new EU directives the the UK will be FORCED to accept during the transition period.
We will all be FORCED to have 4 different bins to segregate our rubbish.
It's bendy bananas all over again.

Cape Blue Feb 6th 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12435824)
If you are against mass migration by default you must be against mass migrants..
You cannot disapprove of one without disapproving of the other.

Unless you are happy with 50 million migrants moving to the UK next week, you are also against mass migration - the issue is merely one of extent. That does not mean you are against the migrants themselves. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

DaveLovesDee Feb 6th 2018 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12435869)
Unless you are happy with 50 million migrants moving to the UK next week, you are also against mass migration - the issue is merely one of extent. That does not mean you are against the migrants themselves. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Do you have any evidence of £50 million migrants moving to the UK next week? Or is this another Daily Express headline like the 79 million Turks was?

Cape Blue Feb 6th 2018 9:27 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12435829)
Well, it was the point I made (that many Brits have been led to fear that EU membership would ultimately result in sharia law ...or just lots of pesky Muslims..., which is about as rational as french artichokes causing shark attacks in the channel), And it was that very post you attempted to contradict with some distant rationalisation. I mean, why even bother defending it? The whole idea is simply delusional in the first place. And again, nothing to do with the EU.

I agree that EU membership will not lead to mass Muslim immigration & UK-wide Sharia-law, but thought it worth noting that EU membership is indeed a back-door migration route for some Muslim groups that would otherwise not get access to the UK.

Cape Blue Feb 6th 2018 9:28 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12435873)
Do you have any evidence of £50 million migrants moving to the UK next week? Or is this another Daily Express headline like the 79 million Turks was?

Of course not, I am using an extreme example to show that there is always a control needed on the speed and extent of migration and that the difference between people is where that limit is. Wanting controls on immigration of any sort is not being anti-immigrant at the person.

EMR Feb 6th 2018 9:33 am

Unlike you I do not live in a fantasy world.
I do not hate the game or the players.

Former Lancastrian Feb 6th 2018 9:34 am

On various threads I have kept quoting the figure of almost 65 million people in the world who have forcibly been displaced from their own countries and there are some 22 million of them registered with the UNHCR as refugees.
So how many of them should the UK take in? How many should Canada, the US or others take? How come some countries don't take any or very very few?
Who decides how many to take in? Is it the countries leaders?
Now rumour has it that Angela Merkel has admitted to a degree that perhaps she was wrong in a way in the way she dealt with the migrant crisis but that could be fake news.
Our new shiny PM the one with the nice hair and socks made that famous tweet To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada
Suddenly about 10,000 Haitians who have been living in the US for the last 5 years plus now up sticks and move to Canada.
British Columbia saw a 77% increase in refugee claimants in 2017. Manitoba also saw a surge and Quebec was overwhelmed. In February 2016 in Quebec they had 99 claims for the whole month whereas in February 2017 they got 635.

So how many should the UK take in?