British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 9:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Interesting to see that despite the ludicrous Remainiacs boast & desperate crowdfunding plea for funding to flood the Last Night Of The Proms with EUSSR flags there were so very few on display!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...pse21ca2a2.gif

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 9:22 pm

What, exactly are you on about now?

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12048789)
Can anyone tell me is there any legal impediment to having another referendum to vote Remain or Leave?

Would the other EU countries accept this or turn around and say **** Off you had a vote and you voted out and thats it.

So could you have another vote Yes or No will suffice. I will accept No with legal justifications as why you can't other than that leave any speculation out of it.
I can still see this thread going on and on and on potentially for years :lol:

The vote itself has no legal weight. A second referendum would be perfectly legal.

It would be political suicide, though. So not much chance of that.

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048810)
What, exactly are you on about now?

"Interesting to see that despite the ludicrous Remainiacs boast & desperate crowdfunding plea for funding to flood the Last Night Of The Proms with EUSSR flags there were so very few on display!"

Let me know which part of my post you don't understand & I'll be happy to explain......... Rather like the Brexit referendum result, it's quite easy to understand. (rolleyes)

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 9:31 pm

I don't know about that. It's natural that people would be upset about having been sold a tin of poisonous snake oil. But like you say, brexit is brexit. A majority voted. Make it so.

Former Lancastrian Sep 10th 2016 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048815)
The vote itself has no legal weight. A second referendum would be perfectly legal.

It would be political suicide, though. So not much chance of that.

Thats what I thought no legal weight. Wasn't it a stupid decision to have the referendum in the 1st place? the UKIP were never going to win the General Election so the current Govt is to blame for this mess. As for political suicide why would it be? Surely if another referendum was held and called by the Tories and they won wouldn't it mean they would be rewarded with a convincing majority in the next GE.
Now Im not suggesting all Tories voted to remain as they only pulled in 11.3 million votes in the last GE but in the referendum the leave voters pulled in over 17 million votes.
Its impossible to say what the result would be if a 2nd referendum was held so at the moment everyone should chill out as the UK is still part of the EU and there is no date set to trigger Article 50 if it is actually triggered.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 9:58 pm

The U.K. Parliament voted by a massive majority in the ratio of 6 to 1 to hold a referendum in which the people of the nation would be given the democratic right to decide if they wanted to leave the EU.

Many of those who voted in favour of deciding it by a referendum were Europhiles, some of whom are now embarrassing themselves to death and spitting out their dummies because they didn't get the result they hoped for and expected.

What a sad and sorry bunch they truly are. :cool:

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12048830)
Thats what I thought no legal weight. Wasn't it a stupid decision to have the referendum in the 1st place? the UKIP were never going to win the General Election so the current Govt is to blame for this mess. As for political suicide why would it be? Surely if another referendum was held and called by the Tories and they won wouldn't it mean they would be rewarded with a convincing majority in the next GE.
Now Im not suggesting all Tories voted to remain as they only pulled in 11.3 million votes in the last GE but in the referendum the leave voters pulled in over 17 million votes.
Its impossible to say what the result would be if a 2nd referendum was held so at the moment everyone should chill out as the UK is still part of the EU and there is no date set to trigger Article 50 if it is actually triggered.

Polls have been conducted. The indication is that it would go to remain now (it was a narrow victory in the first place). Aside from the obvious exaggerations and lies by the leave camp, a lot of the remainers simply didn't vote. They were sure it would go to remain (in fact, so did many of the leavers, which explains why they didn't bother to look at the details or have any plan).

Politically, the new government is in a very precarious position. They need to find a way to "make the best" of this disaster, and the last thing they need is to appear weak. Another referendum would scream weakness. They aren't about to engage in that.

Besides, many of them still believe their own bullshit.. But are just now getting a lesson in reality. It's going to be interesting how they spin it.

It's too late anyway. The damage has been done. Make the best of it is all they can do. Damage control. But it will change Britain significantly, and the British population isn't going to be happy, no matter what.

Everybody loses.

Lion in Winter Sep 10th 2016 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12048830)

I was actually wondering about this question of the general election in my earlier posts about electorate vs those who voted. Given that only 37% of the electorate voted to leave ( yes, we all know that Leave won the referendum), I was wondering what the implications might be with respect to who might win the minimum of one and quite possibly two general elections that will happen before any Brexit is complete, and what, then, would be the nature of the mandate. The British change their minds a lot at the polls.

A referendum isn't a law. The European Communities act of 1972 is, however, and will presumably have to be repealed by Parliament, by vote, at some point for the preservation of our democratic constutution in order for us to leave. So what happens if after the next GE there is a political mandate for the sitting MPs to represent their constituents wishes and stsy in the EU? At the very least it's an interesting question. Could never happen of course.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12048796)
Interesting to see that despite the ludicrous Remainiacs boast & desperate crowdfunding plea for funding to flood the Last Night Of The Proms with EUSSR flags there were so very few on display!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...pse21ca2a2.gif

:rofl:

What a pathetic effort after all that hype.

Well at least for those who did turn up, they must have received a king sized helping of reality.

:nod:

Former Lancastrian Sep 10th 2016 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12048846)
I was actually wondering about this question of the general election in my earlier posts about electorate vs those who voted. Given that only 37% of the electorate voted to leave ( yes, we all know that Leave won the referendum), I was wondering what the implications might be with respect to who might win the minimum of one and quite possibly two general elections that will happen before any Brexit is complete, and what, then, would be the nature of the mandate. The British change their minds a lot at the polls.

A referendum isn't a law. The European Communities act of 1972 is, however, and will presumably have to be repealed by Parliament, by vote, at some point for the preservation of our democratic constutution in order for us to leave. So what happens if after the next GE there is a political mandate for the sitting MPs to represent their constituents wishes and stsy in the EU? At the very least it's an interesting question. Could never happen of course.

So its not a legally binding result and they could decide not to invoke Article 50 so no need for a 2nd referendum. They get to stay in the EU so problem solved :eek:
Perhaps the Remainers should form groups to track down the 27% of voters who didn't vote and ask them why they didn't vote. Perhaps out of those 27% they could have got enough votes to win or just as likely they could have lost by more than the 1.3 million votes;)

DaveLovesDee Sep 10th 2016 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12048852)
So its not a legally binding result and they could decide not to invoke Article 50 so no need for a 2nd referendum. They get to stay in the EU so problem solved :eek:
Perhaps the Remainers should form groups to track down the 27% of voters who didn't vote and ask them why they didn't vote. Perhaps out of those 27% they could have got enough votes to win or just as likely they could have lost by more than the 1.3 million votes;)

I voted Remain, but don't feel like we actually lost the referendum vote anymore. We're still an EU member until such time as we finally exit, and think both sides should now put as much effort into making any exit deal the best it can be for the UK.

But, there has to be a consensus on what that deal will be, and neither government, the media or the public have a clue what that will be.
Some insist the best deal will be single-market access with free movement, others insist free movement is not an option.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 11:16 pm

% UK ECONOMIC GROWTH FORECAST 2016

Just After Referendum. Now
Baml. 1.7. 1.8
Credit Suisse. 1.0. 1.9
Morgan Stanley. 1.2. 1.9
Goldman Sachs. 1.5. 1.8
J P Morgan. 1.5. 1.9

% U.K. ECONOMIC GROWTH FORECAST 2017
Baml. 0.2. 0.6
Credit Suisse. -1.0. 0.5
Morgan Stanley. 0.5 0.6
Goldman Sachs. 0.2. 0.9
J P Morgan. 0.6. 0.9

Source, Guardian Research.

Former Lancastrian Sep 10th 2016 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12048859)
I voted Remain, but don't feel like we actually lost the referendum vote anymore. We're still an EU member until such time as we finally exit, and think both sides should now put as much effort into making any exit deal the best it can be for the UK.

But, there has to be a consensus on what that deal will be, and neither government, the media or the public have a clue what that will be.
Some insist the best deal will be single-market access with free movement, others insist free movement is not an option.

But you don't have to Brexit or leave the EU as its not a binding legal decision and I don't believe the EU has the legal authority to expel the UK if Article 50 is not triggered. Now some are thinking it would be stupid not to follow through but worst case scenario what would happen. A few riots and demonstrations its not like the UK has never experienced those before :lol:

Seriously what would happen if article 50 was not triggered?

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12048673)
The mind boggles at the behaviour of our remainiacs

:rofl:

Certainly does.

Difficult to comprehend why even now there are those who would prefer living under a Dictatorship with about as much say as a rabid dog,

To living in a Democratic Society. :confused:

Nowt so funny as Folk,eh. ;)