Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:45 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
Would be nice. But soon I hope not to liable for a penny to the HMRC (cutting my ties to the UK as we speak). I don't think in 35 or 40 or whatever years time I will get a state pension as they will probably take it away so **** 'em. I will also make sure I never earn enough to pay back any of my student loan. So maybe just 20% on some bank interest or so. As all my income will be earned in Hungary very soon that will be that.

My plan if I was still in the UK would be to drop dead by my mid 60s at the latest. I think I would have had enough by that point.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:48 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
No, there's two years to prepare. Britain England can legally "leave" tomorrow if it wants. Nothing in the way.

So, what is the problem? Leave, then. Or is there something else you want need?
Absolutely right. Time Britain was told to "do one", no negotiations, no deals, no concessions, excluded, permanently, completely.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Man, an-caps make me laugh, they really do. Jesus Christ, these people need to grow up, pay their taxes and be a functioning member of a society. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
I have never begrudged paying my taxes. I have met libertarians from the USA and I just don't understand them. Wrapping themselves in the flag and then refusing to pay for its upkeep.......

When I was working in oil I did go over into the next tax band a few times and it didn't bother me. Same as now in Hungary we have an accountant to make sure we get it right! Happy to contribute!

You know, I'm glad I don't live in the Old Wild West (though I understand they did have to form some kind of functioning law and order even before the official US Governemtn came in just to function), I like the rule of law and I resent those who try to avoid the responsibilities that come with existing. Libertarians rely on so many other people through their lives that it is amusing the myth of the self reliant sovereign citizen keeps traction.

Anyway, digression. Putin is still laughing his nuts off I presume.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:55 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I have never begrudged paying my taxes. I have met libertarians from the USA and I just don't understand them. Wrapping themselves in the flag and then refusing to pay for its upkeep.......

When I was working in oil I did go over into the next tax band a few times and it didn't bother me. Same as now in Hungary we have an accountant to make sure we get it right! Happy to contribute!

You know, I'm glad I don't live in the Old Wild West (though I understand they did have to form some kind of functioning law and order even before the official US Governemtn came in just to function), I like the rule of law and I resent those who try to avoid the responsibilities that come with existing. Libertarians rely on so many other people through their lives that it is amusing the myth of the self reliant sovereign citizen keeps traction.
I live in the USA and I run into them all the time. I don't understand it either, but really libertarians only want freedom for the things that they like and then they kind of stop caring.

**** it though, I pay my taxes and I've yet to die horribly, or whatever they thing is going to happen.

Anyway, digression. Putin is still laughing his nuts off I presume.
Yes, he's had to dig them out from under the sofa quite a few times now.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:59 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I would think any objective observer would come to the conclusion that there might be a completely different outcome today in a referendum on Brexit, especially as it does appear that what people thought they were voting for is not what they may end up getting. How is it undemocratic to ask the people their preference ? I agree one cant be having referendums all the time, but why would someone who voted for Brexit be so afraid of another vote- surely the pubic is now more informed than it was when the referendum was held ?
Perhaps another objective observer would come to the conclusion that there would be no change - we have not had the predicted house price collapse, emergency budget, additional 800,000 unemployed from the Remain team that may have influenced many voters.

Places like here and The Guardian are bubble-world, full of upset remainers wanting a do-over. Try the Daily Mail if you want to see an opposite bubble.

What if the next vote does go remain, do we get a "best of three"?

Many people argue that a failure of the first referendum was that it hinged on a 50:50 split and it should have a higher hurdle, perhaps 60% to make a change - should this next referendum have the benefit of this hindsight and require a 60% vote to change our current status quo of leave back to rejoin?

I wasn't in UK when the referendum was held, and if anything - probably from an emotional standpoint - probably leaned towards Brexit. After a reading many of the comments on this thread, I probably lean against it- in particular I worry once Brexit occurs and those supporting it realize it wont realize the objectives they had in voting for that, there may end up a difficult political impact on such voters. Just anecdotal evidence, but probably a full third of Brexit voters I speak to voted for it expecting results that surely Brexit won't deliver.
Who are you to say that Brexit won't deliver and that brexit voters won't be able to handle it if it doesn't? Sounds like you think you know more than brexiters and they need to be protected from their idiocy by having your benevolent rule? Is that a democracy?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:02 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
The Brexit dividend?
I thought you'd like that
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:03 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Does that mean that I (as a resident of Hungary) can demand that my taxes (taken by the UK) be spent on Hungarians rather than on "foreigners" in a foreign country?

No, I thought not.
If you are resident in Hungary, why are you paying UK tax?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:05 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Perhaps another objective observer would come to the conclusion that there would be no change - we have not had the predicted house price collapse, emergency budget, additional 800,000 unemployed from the Remain team that may have influenced many voters.

Places like here and The Guardian are bubble-world, full of upset remainers wanting a do-over. Try the Daily Mail if you want to see an opposite bubble.

What if the next vote does go remain, do we get a "best of three"?

Many people argue that a failure of the first referendum was that it hinged on a 50:50 split and it should have a higher hurdle, perhaps 60% to make a change - should this next referendum have the benefit of this hindsight and require a 60% vote to change our current status quo of leave back to rejoin?

Who are you to say that Brexit won't deliver and that brexit voters won't be able to handle it if it doesn't? Sounds like you think you know more than brexiters and they need to be protected from their idiocy by having your benevolent rule? Is that a democracy?
Brexit can't deliver what was promised because what was promised is undeliverable. But that's not exactly news.

The only thing left is damage control. And that's s big task. Especially for a wholly incompetent leadership.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:05 pm
Democracy advocate

No, there's two years to prepare. Britain England can legally "leave" tomorrow if it wants. Nothing in the way.

So, what is the problem? Leave, then. Or is there something else you want need?
Do you think the Britain England thing is clever or amusing or something?

Wales voted leave, near 40% of Scotland voted leave.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Income derived from the UK is taxed in the UK. Pensions, rent income, bank interest etc. No escape as I (and I assume he/she) are normal people.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:07 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Britain England was leaving(?). Then why not just send a letter saying "we're out...starting today"? What's the problem? Or do you want need something else? Or maybe hadn't thought through it?
... 'cos the Chaps in the City, will befoul their pants silly at being shut-out of the EU markets, AND more specifically, being unable to wash all that dirty money via the Euro-Bond market onto places like Jersey, the Caribbean, Gibraltar, Malta, Cyprus (North & South), Turks & Cacos, etc, etc....
As you know amideislas, when you're a JAM on minimum wage & barely scraping a living, it poses a huge problem.... ?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Absolutely right. Time Britain was told to "do one", no negotiations, no deals, no concessions, excluded, permanently, completely.
Why would the EU not want to negotiate a FTA with one of their largest trading partners and friends? If we all agree the trade is good, why would the EU want to harm itself and its people?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit can't deliver what was promised because what was promised is undeliverable. But that's not exactly news.

The only thing left is damage control. And that's s big task. Especially for a wholly incompetent leadership.
Brexit has certainly reduced the number of EU citizens living in the UK. I'm sure a lot of the UK would want to follow if things go south.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:10 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think the Britain England thing is clever or amusing or something?

Wales voted leave, near 40% of Scotland voted leave.
England runs "Britain" full stop. England voted to leave. Wales always does what the English tell them. No others voted to leave (if you apply the same standards of a 4% majority of those who voted in England).
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:12 pm
Dedicated European

Because HMRC "skim off" their bit before I get it - and Brexit won't change that fact. After all somebody has to subsidise the Brits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.