British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Sep 10th 2016 5:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048371)
If May waits until the European elections, she's likely to have to deal with this

Macron: block UK financial firms from selling to eurozone after Brexit

France has a veto. So does Germany.

No, me neither.

la mancha Sep 10th 2016 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048614)
Like so many others, you don't seem to understand what the referendum was about. I don't know if the short memory is out of convenience or not, but you seem to have forgotten.

The remain camp did understand. The leave camp simply didn't. They bought the sensationalist bullshit and the rest is history. What do you want now?

That must be the biggest laugh of the weekend. Arrogant or what?

Bipat Sep 10th 2016 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048614)
Like so many others, you don't seem to understand what the referendum was about. I don't know if the short memory is out of convenience or not, but you seem to have forgotten.

The remain camp did understand. The leave camp simply didn't. They bought the sensationalist bullshit and the rest is history. What do you want now?

I imply nothing other than the fact the the vast majority of EU immigrants contribute a net positive to the economy, despite being labeled as "benefits cheats" by the leave camp.

I presume the official leave campaign knew what it was about? Lawson/ Stuart?
Have you read the EU Constitution?
Is it not slightly arrogant to assume that only yourself had any understanding?

I agree that there were valid different opinions and if the vote had been to remain, it would be that and life would go on as usual.

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12048624)
That must be the biggest laugh of the weekend. Arrogant or what?

Look, manch, it is an indisputable fact, as a matter of public record that the leave campaign grossly exaggerated and flat-out lied about the whole premise.

They lumped completely unrelated issues together, most of which have nothing to do with EU membership whatsoever, wrapped it all in the Union jack and sold the tin as a cure for all that ails us. And as a matter of pure fact, it won't. But it's gonna be a damned expensive remedy. Because they didn't bother to look at the details. They're only now getting their first lessons in reality.

So, please... You just have to live with it now.

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12048629)
I presume the official leave campaign knew what it was about? Lawson/ Stuart?
Have you read the EU Constitution?
Is it not slightly arrogant to assume that only yourself had any understanding?

I agree that there were valid different opinions and if the vote had been to remain, it would be that and life would go on as usual.

I find it rather arrogant that the leavers still cling to their superior position, even after having been reduced to one sole quantifiable argument "the majority voted". Brilliant.

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048636)
I find it rather arrogant that the leavers still cling to their superior position, even after having been reduced to one sole quantifiable argument "the majority voted". Brilliant.

This from the woman who thinks all Brexiteers are stupid fools & tells people who disagree with her to "just STFU"

I wonder if it's ever occurred to you that every single one of those that voted (either way) are entitled to hold whatever opinion they like & vote whichever way they choose & that the majority that won the decision have every right to expect that decision to be respected?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 5:59 pm

You were sold a tin of snake oil. You bought it. It turns out to be a bit poisonous. But at least you can be proud.

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048644)
You were sold a tin of snake oil. You bought it. It turns out to be a bit poisonous. But at least you can be proud.

Incredible that you should still fail to see my point!

Whether I or we were or were not sold snake oil doesn't matter at this point.

What matters is a leave or remain referendum was held & every person qualified to vote had the chance to make up their own minds & then vote accordingly & the result of that referendum was to leave by a significant number.

So you like everyone else needs to accept that because no matter what you do or say, that result won't change one iota.

Quite honestly you calling anyone arrogant is probably the most hypocritical thing I've read in decades!

paulry Sep 10th 2016 6:42 pm

The mind boggles at the behaviour of our remainiacs

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 6:43 pm

Yes, brexit is brexit.

So, brexit. What's the holdup? Is it complicated or something? Cut the cord and finally be free.

Or is there something else you want? Maybe some sort of extra "benefit" that you might be able to snag on your way out? I mean, brexit is brexit. What else is there?

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12048673)
The mind boggles at the behaviour of our remainiacs

:goodpost: :goodpost::goodpost:

Fredbargate Sep 10th 2016 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12048466)
OK. Let's try to make it easy for you to understand:

16,141,241 voted to remain.

17,410,742 voted to leave.

Which means the majority that voted to leave was 1269501

What's difficult about that to understand?

Making reference to General Elections is ridiculously irrelevant because one has nothing to do with the other & (perhaps unfortunately?) the voting process is different.

But in both cases the one with the most votes wins, and rarely does the winner have the majority of the electorate. ( candidates in General elections )

However most seem to accept that in General elections but some want to deny it in a referendum.

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12048682)
But in both cases the one with the most votes wins, and rarely does the winner have the majority of the electorate.

However most seem to accept that in General elections but some want to deny it in a referendum.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 8:43 pm

Britain's Economy Wilting Fast After Brexit Vote, May Prompt More Spending

The darkening outlook jars with the resolute optimism of newspapers that backed Brexit: "Britain BOOMS after EU vote: Ignore the doom-mongers...it's good news all round," the Daily Express has trumpeted in a raft of bullish headlines this week.

The Markit PMIs, which give an early indication of how gross domestic product is likely to perform, suggest the 1.8 trillion pound ($2.4 trillion) UK economy is shrinking faster than at any time since the aftermath of the global financial crisis.

Former Lancastrian Sep 10th 2016 9:08 pm

Can anyone tell me is there any legal impediment to having another referendum to vote Remain or Leave?

Would the other EU countries accept this or turn around and say **** Off you had a vote and you voted out and thats it.

So could you have another vote Yes or No will suffice. I will accept No with legal justifications as why you can't other than that leave any speculation out of it.
I can still see this thread going on and on and on potentially for years :lol: