British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 11:17 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12048360)
TTIP.

The Tories have been the driving force behind getting a deal done.

Apparently the same Tories who've been telling us the Sky is falling in. :rofl:

DaveLovesDee Sep 10th 2016 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12048374)
Apparently the same Tories who've been telling us the Sky is falling in. :rofl:

Conservative MEP's welcome PM's commitment on TTIP

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 11:51 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12048385)

Dated 17 Nov 2014 since when there's been a massive shift in opinion.

It may also have escaped your notice that the said David Cameron PM is now David Cameron EX PM, a piece of best forgotten history. :cool:

TTIP parrot....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu-...-idUKKCN1150H6

Slightly more up to date.

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 11:55 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12048333)
The only ones who need to check their mental health are those who think that the final result of leaving the EU will make any significant change to life in the UK.
Who actually fellnfor the lies of the brexit campaign..
The poor, ill educated ,will still find decent paid jobs almost imposible to find.
The NHS and education systems will struggle.
Nett migration eill still be in 6 figures.
Cultural and racial divides will still be exploited by the brexit fringe.
They will continue to blame the EU anything they are unhappy with.

If and we all agree it is a big if, the economy tanked, then a seconf new labour will take power .
You will be just as unhappy and miserable with life in the UK then if not more than you are now.

I'm very happy indeed with my life as it is thanks & happier still to see a majority of the electorate voted for Brexit but thanks for your concern. :lol:

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 11:57 am

I've always said that ultimately, the remainers will be blamed for brexit.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048398)
I've always said that ultimately, the remainers will be blamed for brexit.

Of course they did help, because try as they might, they simply weren't able to pull the wool over everybodies eyes. :cool:

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 12:15 pm

Yes, the leave camp won that game too.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12048405)
Yes, the leave camp won that game too.

Didn't really need to.

Tell me Ami, if the remaining flat earth remoaners had their way for a rerun referendum, what do you think the result would be now that their one and only weapon, the pathetic fear-mongering campaign has been fully exposed for the total load of bullshit it truly was ?

Vexcore Sep 10th 2016 12:35 pm

a second ref 'AINT GONNA HAPPEN'

FFS REMOANERS LIVE WITH IT.

Anyway.

Looking forward till we invoke Article 50, and looking forward for control looking forward to the visa system looking forward to my dark blue British passport.

MAKES YOU PROUD!

back to the way things are.

HERE HERE!

Dick Dasterdly Sep 10th 2016 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12048420)

Anyway.

Looking forward till we invoke Article 50, and looking forward for control looking forward to the visa system looking forward to my dark blue British passport.

MAKES YOU PROUD!

back to the way things are.

HERE HERE!

Of course it ain't going to happen, but I was simply pointing out that if it did the result would be even more emphatic in favour of Brexit

Red Eric Sep 10th 2016 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12048392)
Dated 17 Nov 2014 since when there's been a massive shift in opinion.

There has indeed, Dick. It goes like this. There's been a referendum, the result was Brexit so we'll leave the EU and TTIP behind.

And we'll go knocking on the US's door to ask for a TTIP type deal to replace that with. We haven't got many trade negotiators of our own and we'll be a bit busy with the EU negotiations for a few years (and we can't legally begin to negotiate with anybody until after we've actually left the EU) but we can hire some foreign negotiators any time we want and they'll look after our best interests for us. NZ have already stepped up to offer to negotiate both for and against us on a deal with them. Soon all the nations in the world will be queueing up to do the same.

Red Eric Sep 10th 2016 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12048420)

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/ec/ec888c...826d4040ba.jpg

Lion in Winter Sep 10th 2016 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12047883)
Here we go again :rolleyes:

...In a democracy, those who don't vote are treated as abstentions - that was their decision, their choice, and can be considered as "neither". So this means we have 3 choices: "Yes", "No" and "Neither". Tell me please, just so that both you and I can be completely clear: What was the majority choice (out of those only 3 options)?

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12047906)
How is a leave vote of 51.89% or 17,410,742 versus a remain vote of 48.11% or 16,141,241 not a majority & have you explained your reasoning to Mrs May who I'm sure would be interested to hear your startling discovery?

:sarcasm::ohmy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ferendum,_2016

Good grief people. It's simple maths and simple use of the English language not a great emotional struggle. "Electorate" means all those entltled to vote - not those who did.

72% voted, and 52% of 72% works out roughly to 37%. So 37% of the electorate voted to leave, not a majority of the electorate. There is no emotional or partisan element to that, it's just a fact. To keep on repeating that a "majority of the electorate" voted to leave is just wrong and a bit silly - you don't have to worry, nobody is saying that Leave didn't win.

It may or may not be relevant in the next general election or two, who knows.

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 1:53 pm

OK. Let's try to make it easy for you to understand:

16,141,241 voted to remain.

17,410,742 voted to leave.

Which means the majority that voted to leave was 1269501

What's difficult about that to understand?

Making reference to General Elections is ridiculously irrelevant because one has nothing to do with the other & (perhaps unfortunately?) the voting process is different.

Lion in Winter Sep 10th 2016 2:01 pm

E

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12048466)
OK. Let's try to make it easy for you to understand:

16,141,241 voted to remain.

17,410,742 voted to leave.

Which means the majority that voted to leave was 1269501

What's difficult about that to understand?

Making reference to General Elections is ridiculously irrelevant because one has nothing to do with the other & (perhaps unfortunately?) the voting process is different.

Do you understand the difference between "the majority of the electorate" and "the majority of those who voted"?

The current size of the British electorate is about 46,499,537. As they say here, "do the math". For those of you worried, I repeat that nobody is saying that Leave didn't win the referendum.