British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Sep 10th 2016 7:44 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12048042)

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12047751)

I read that article with interest, seeing as how I live in one of those countries and nothing has appeared here on the evening news about it.

So tell me Dicky, what exactly was the threat? And who issued it?

I thought you'd be in favour of a few countries getting together for a chinwag about how things could be better organised and run :confused:

Having just read a fuller account, it appears that there was no "threat" at all. Some disapproval and a bit of angst about what might happen in the future - a rather intersting angle this, actually.

The worry is that with the UK gone, the countries concerned hold a blocking minority to any new legislation should they act in concert. Which makes me wonder what sort of EU legislation it is that the UK has been supporting all this time and if it's counter to the interests of the Southern European countries, why would they have done so? And even stranger, then complain that they have no influence when clearly they have been instrumental in forming a majority and ensuring that its interests are served above some of the other member states.

jimenato Sep 10th 2016 8:06 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Liam Fox getting his excuses in early.

Looks like he has realised that exporting isn't quite as easy as he thought and it's everybody else's fault.


“If you want to share in the prosperity of our country, you have a duty to contribute to the prosperity of our country,” he said. “This country is not the free-trading nation that it once was. We have become too lazy, and too fat on our successes in previous generations.

People have got to stop thinking about exporting as an opportunity and start thinking about it as a duty – companies who could be contributing to our national prosperity but choose not to because it might be too difficult or too time-consuming
And we remainers are accused of talking the country down...:rolleyes:

EMR Sep 10th 2016 8:10 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12048117)
Dictatorship is when the people have NO VOTE AT ALL as when policies can only be formulated by an unelected group of people in the EU Commission which has the Dictatorial power to formulate policies which affect every single member country.

As 7Junckers said not so long ago,

Democracy can have no part in EU treaties. :cool:

But we are leaving, it is what the UK governments decides that matters.
Your focus should now be on them..
Your fixation is a waste of emotion and ignorance of facts and events, I know it would be a waste of time to inform you yet again that the treaties are ratified by the democraticaly elected governments and in some cases the peoples of the member states.

The Uk has given up any opportunity it had to influence matters and will leave with the best deal it can get.
You will be as unhappy then as you are now.

By the way if your quote if accurate refers to his views about posdible future not actual even.
Maybe for clarification uoh can post the complete article or speech rather than pick out only that which apeaks to your fixation.

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 8:24 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12048277)
Liam Fox getting his excuses in early.

Looks like he has realised that exporting isn't quite as easy as he thought and it's everybody else's fault.





And we remainers are accused of talking the country down...:rolleyes:

Sounds suspiciously like the inevitable mentality of a welfare society. Contribute? Are you daft? We're entitled.

I suspect the same mentality will prevail in the brexit negotiations. What?!! We want the single market, but surely you don't expect us to be subject to your rules or contribute anything do you? Are you undemocratic? A majority voted to leave! So we're leaving! But we're entitled to unfettered access... You can't deny us that! Arrogant anti-democracy dictatorial lefty Europeans!

jimenato Sep 10th 2016 8:27 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12048117)

As Junckers said not so long ago,

Democracy can have no part in EU treaties. :cool:


Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12048280)
By the way if your quote if accurate refers to his views about posdible future not actual even.
Maybe for clarification uoh can post the complete article or speech rather than pick out only that which apeaks to your fixation.

Its not accurate - he didn't say it - It's just Dick blowing off and making stuff up like Brexiteers do - you know - lying. I'd have though everybody would have learned by now to ignore him.

He did say something a bit like it and in context it makes perfect sense.

Bipat Sep 10th 2016 8:44 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12048277)
Liam Fox getting his excuses in early.

Looks like he has realised that exporting isn't quite as easy as he thought and it's everybody else's fault.





And we remainers are accused of talking the country down...:rolleyes:

He seems to have been quite active here.

Liam Fox backs India-UK Tech Summit on India trade tour - IndiaGB News - INDIA UK NEWS | ANGLO INDIA NEWS | BRITISH INDIA NEWS | INDIA EXPORTS NEWS | UK EXPORTS NEWS | ASEAN UK NEWS |INDIA TOURISM|

mfesharne Sep 10th 2016 8:59 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12048112)
There is only I precedent not a tradition of 100,s of years.
That tradition is that the electorate gets to vote again every 5 years.
As a supporter of tradition, of British democracy no doubt you will support such a vote regarding the EU in 2021.
I think that the argument is irrelevant because our new relationship with the EU what ever and when ever will leave you and many brexiters just as unhappy and dissatisfied with cries of betrayal etc etc.
You have already seen the Government distancing itself from much of the brexit platform.

Well if you believe that why did we get a vote in the referendum do you think?

P'raps you need to get together with Ami & you can both go to Mrs May & after Ami has done with telling her the leave vote was only 37% by her count & so isn't a majority and the result is therefore wrong & the UK must therefore stay in the EU, you can then tell TM how the nation has misunderstood the way democracy works & they shouldn't have held the referendum at all?

I'm sure Mrs May would be fascinated by both explanations.

Either that or she'll have you both sectioned under the Mental Health Act!

:rofl: :sarcasm: :rofl:

Fredbargate Sep 10th 2016 9:18 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12048051)
In your world does this mean that the views of the majority who either voted remain or did not vote do not count.
I would call that a dictatorship of the many by the few.
So much for " democracy "

UK General election 2015

Conservatives 11,334,576

Electorate 46,420,413

EMR Sep 10th 2016 9:26 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12048321)
UK General election 2015

Conservatives 11,334,576

Electorate 46,420,413

Just one huge gaping hole in your argument,every t years we get the opportunity to change the government unlike tne referendum decision which will hardly affect us but could seriously affect the prosperity of generations to come.

EMR Sep 10th 2016 9:33 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12048307)
Well if you believe that why did we get a vote in the referendum do you think?

P'raps you need to get together with Ami & you can both go to Mrs May & after Ami has done with telling her the leave vote was only 37% by her count & so isn't a majority and the result is therefore wrong & the UK must therefore stay in the EU, you can then tell TM how the nation has misunderstood the way democracy works & they shouldn't have held the referendum at all?

I'm sure Mrs May would be fascinated by both explanations.

Either that or she'll have you both sectioned under the Mental Health Act!

:rofl: :sarcasm: :rofl:

The only ones who need to check their mental health are those who think that the final result of leaving the EU will make any significant change to life in the UK.
Who actually fellnfor the lies of the brexit campaign..
The poor, ill educated ,will still find decent paid jobs almost imposible to find.
The NHS and education systems will struggle.
Nett migration eill still be in 6 figures.
Cultural and racial divides will still be exploited by the brexit fringe.
They will continue to blame the EU anything they are unhappy with.

If and we all agree it is a big if, the economy tanked, then a seconf new labour will take power .
You will be just as unhappy and miserable with life in the UK then if not more than you are now.

EMR Sep 10th 2016 9:37 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
One way street for India, if you invest -million pounds in an Indian business, employ at least 20 locals the Modi government will give you citizenship and all sorts of tax inducements.
How is that going to create jobs and prosperity in the UK.

Liam Fox, is a ultra brexit right wing tory, he has been put in that position to fail, which he will.

Fredbargate Sep 10th 2016 10:39 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12048328)
Just one huge gaping hole in your argument,every t years we get the opportunity to change the government unlike tne referendum decision which will hardly affect us but could seriously affect the prosperity of generations to come.

Who's arguing ?

I just posted statistics

DaveLovesDee Sep 10th 2016 10:46 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12048275)
The worry is that with the UK gone, the countries concerned hold a blocking minority to any new legislation should they act in concert. Which makes me wonder what sort of EU legislation it is that the UK has been supporting all this time and if it's counter to the interests of the Southern European countries, why would they have done so

TTIP.

The Tories have been the driving force behind getting a deal done.

Bipat Sep 10th 2016 10:51 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12048334)
One way street for India, if you invest -million pounds in an Indian business, employ at least 20 locals the Modi government will give you citizenship and all sorts of tax inducements.
How is that going to create jobs and prosperity in the UK.

Liam Fox, is a ultra brexit right wing tory, he has been put in that position to fail, which he will.

You want failure apparently!
(Why would British business people be interested in citizenship particularly?)
Investment is two-way.

An old link but gives some idea. There has been more investment since.

India emerges as third largest FDI source for U.K. - The Hindu

amideislas Sep 10th 2016 11:12 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
If May waits until the European elections, she's likely to have to deal with this

Macron: block UK financial firms from selling to eurozone after Brexit

France has a veto. So does Germany.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:13 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.