British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Jan 25th 2018 11:49 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427242)
Really? You have an NHS card? Because they've never given one to me or anyone else I know.

I had a letter from my NHS Trust when I changed doctors, showing my NHS number.

Shard Jan 25th 2018 11:52 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427289)
Because most non-integration in Japan happens by choice. For example many zaiinichi flat out refuse to take Japanese citizenship or put their kids in the Japanese education system. Instead they pledge their ultimate allegiance to North Korea and send their kids to schools that teach North Korean and Juche ideology.

In the UK or France that would be like proudly declaring an allegiance to ISIS and sending your kids to a school that openly teaches radical Islam.

You are not answering the question. The fact is that Japan is far more a racist country than France.

Zainichi, whoever they are, sound much like strong muslims in Britain/France who choose non-integration faith schooling over standard school (not that I agree with faith schools). That does not (necessarily) make them ISIS sympathizers.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with Japan. I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy towards France.

EMR Jan 25th 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427297)
I've never seen those reports before and I'd be interested in the root causes of that. Remember that the British left are extremely anti-Israel and even current Labour leader has been accused of anti-Semitic sentiment.

You are confusing being anti Israel's illegal occupation of e West bank and oppression of the Palestinians being anti Semitic.

I have Jewish blood and am no supporter of Israel.

DaveLovesDee Jan 25th 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427189)
Actually even if you go by the most liberal sources, the UK is still roughly £100mn a year down.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...t-nhs-billions

Now take that in context of the rest of the article, then you'll see the reasons why.

And keep in mind that figure is based on where people are ordinarily resident. An EU national can be legally resident in the UK for months or even years without contributing anything and during that time they can take as much free healthcare as they like and still not show up in any healthcare tourism statistic.

If an EU national is legally resident in the UK, they wouldn't be health tourists, would they?

And I know what an EHIC card is thanks. They gave my partner one with no expiry date on it and she was still on a UK student visa at the time. We had a good laugh about it but that's how vigilant the EU is over these things.
If the student visa is for more than 12 months, she would have able to get an EHIC. And there is an expiry date on it, usually 5 years from the issue date.

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2018 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12427301)
BNP,English defence league, attacks on mosques and Synagogues.
Trial underway of right wing nutter who drove into a crowd outside of a mosque.
The killer of Joe Cox.
What sets the UK apart is our electoral system that makes it impossible for any such extreme group, right or left getting any influence in Parliament.

Only one of those was a political party and never really made it into the proper political arena.

I have my views on the whole Jo Cox thing but those are for another thread. In any case, we're not talking about a politically sanctioned execution or anything there.

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2018 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12427313)
If the student visa is for more than 12 months, she would have able to get an EHIC. And there is an expiry date on it, usually 5 years from the issue date.

I am 99% sure that her EHIC card has no expiry date on it.

Lion in Winter Jan 25th 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427317)

Looks like you may be 99% wrong.

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...HS_328x212.jpg

Expatrick Jan 25th 2018 12:14 pm

Ours did, & yes, 5 years validity.

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12427306)
You are not answering the question. The fact is that Japan is far more a racist country than France.

Zainichi, whoever they are, sound much like strong muslims in Britain/France who choose non-integration faith schooling over standard school (not that I agree with faith schools). That does not (necessarily) make them ISIS sympathizers.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with Japan. I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy towards France.

The Zainichi are ethnic Koreans. Back when Korea was annexed by Japan, millions of Koreans immigrated to Japan. After WWII and the Korean war, many returned home but those who stayed had three choices, take Japanese citizenship, remain in Japan as a South Korean citizen or remain in Japan as a North Korean citizen.

A lot of the ethnic North Koreans send their kids to schools that are funded by the Kim regime and teach them that Japan, America and South Korea are an evil force that should be removed from existence. You can't compare them to a British faith school because a lot of what they teach would be illegal here but Japanese law tolerates it.

But all of this is beside the main point. Japan has problems with racism but it has never pretended to be anything different. It has by far the lowest immigrant numbers in the G7 and remains largely homogeneous mono-cultural to this day.

France pretends to be purposefully multi-cultural and tolerant but is actually just a deeply racist and divided country that is really only multi-cultural because it has failed to police its own borders properly for decades. It has also done an utterly terrible job at integrating the immigrants that it already has leading many of them to be ghettoised and completely disconnected from mainstream society.

Expatrick Jan 25th 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12427320)
Looks like you may be 99% wrong.

It's becoming a habit!

DaveLovesDee Jan 25th 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427297)
Remember that the British left are extremely anti-Israel and even current Labour leader has been accused of anti-Semitic sentiment.

Corbyn's been accused of almost everything, yet any Tory who has done the same gets a free pass.

I guess when a politician who sticks to his principles, and who actually cares about the public, has that much mud thrown at him, people will believe some of it. The Tories don't want to lose their power.

DaveLovesDee Jan 25th 2018 12:19 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...a-fortune.html

EMR Jan 25th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427315)
Only one of those was a political party and never really made it into the proper political arena.

I have my views on the whole Jo Cox thing but those are for another thread. In any case, we're not talking about a politically sanctioned execution or anything there.

The fact is that our electoral system prevents the popular rise of extreme parties such as those seen in countries that have PR or systems like it.
It's one of the biggest advantages of being British.
Even Farage could not get elected at the height of Ukips popularity.

DaveLovesDee Jan 25th 2018 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12427300)
Why should a British citizen who paid taxes for decades not be entitled to receive NHS treatment just because they decided to live abroad for a couple of years?

For the same reason the UK won't be getting any of the benefits of EU membership without being a member!

Because the rules say so!

Expatrick Jan 25th 2018 12:24 pm

France pretends to be purposefully multi-cultural and tolerant but is actually just a deeply racist and divided country that is really only multi-cultural because it has failed to police its own borders properly for decades. It has also done an utterly terrible job at integrating the immigrants that it already has leading many of them to be ghettoised and completely disconnected from mainstream society.
DG, I would be interested in your opinion as to how the UK compares in this respect.