Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:14 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

We all know how Brexiters feel about forecasts even when they turn out to be accurate.
Forecasts suggest that the UK economy will continue to benefit from the growth in the global economy.
Global growth that will cushion the negative effects of Brexit.
We can thank the rest of the world ( foreigners) for helping us avoid our self inflicted economic woes.
But then this is just a forecast and no doubt Laman will be along to tell us to ignore them.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:38 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
DG seems to view "use" and "abuse" as synonyms
That's because in this case they are one and the same thing.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:42 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
As I suspected. Living in the British bubble. Have you ever even been to Europe?
Yes I have, many times in fact. I just don't see it through the rose tinted eyes that you do and have no particular desire to live there, particularly since I don't speak any other European language anyway.

Honestly, I know you have a bug up your arse about all of this but to imply that I'm some sort of Little Englander just because I dislike the EU is quite frankly ridiculous. In truth, I wouldn't be surprised if I've been to more countries around the world than you have.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:00 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

and have no particular desire to live there
Well that's good news!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:00 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Well that's good news!
Thank you.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:20 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Yes I have, many times in fact. I just don't see it through the rose tinted eyes that you do and have no particular desire to live there, particularly since I don't speak any other European language anyway.

Honestly, I know you have a bug up your arse about all of this but to imply that I'm some sort of Little Englander just because I dislike the EU is quite frankly ridiculous. In truth, I wouldn't be surprised if I've been to more countries around the world than you have.
Well, your EU narratives are consistently erroneous (and eerily mirroring the unique narratives of British tabloid media) and even you admit you're a typical one-language Englander (most Europeans speak at least two, I know some who are fluent in seven). That explains a lot.

As far as having been to many countries, me too. But I bet I've >lived< in a least twice as many as you. Airport stopovers don't count. Holiday in a Brits abroad resort doesn't count. Live a little, 007. It's enlightening.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:36 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Live a little, 007. It's enlightening.
He can't, no time, too busy moaning ...
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:48 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Well, your EU narratives are consistently erroneous (and eerily mirroring the unique narratives of British tabloid media) and even you admit you're a typical one-language Englander (most Europeans speak at least two, I know some who are fluent in seven). That explains a lot.

As far as having been to many countries, me too. But I bet I've >lived< in a least twice as many as you. Airport stopovers don't count. Holiday in a Brits abroad resort doesn't count. Live a little, 007. It's enlightening.
Actually Arsehole I also speak Japanese and can read 4 alphabets which I'm going to guess is at least 2 more than you. I've also lived in Canada and the US in the past as well as Germany when I was a child.

That's the problem here. You make these accusations and jump to all these conclusions but you actually don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 9:05 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Arsehole I also speak Japanese and can read 4 alphabets which I'm going to guess is at least 2 more than you. I've also lived in Canada and the US in the past as well as Germany when I was a child.

That's the problem here. You make these accusations and jump to all these conclusions but you actually don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Yet you previously said you don't speak any other languages, and your narratives consistently exhibit a complete misunderstanding of all things German (or European). As if you've never set foot (or just read it in the express).

And before you tell me all about it, I lived in Germany for just under 2 decades, and I'm more or less fluent in German. I now live in Spain, and while I'm not quite fluent, I can carry on a friendly conversation, and I'm getting better all the time.

But it's not about language alone. I actually "get it". I culturally understand the Spanish, and the Germans.. And the Dutch... and to a certain extent, the French. Oh, and by the way, I was stationed in Tokyo for 2 years. Had an apartment in Akihabara. I don't pretend to speak Japanese, though.

Anyway, as a fully embedded "insider", I can assure you with complete confidence, that your tabloid view of the "rest of the world" as portrayed in your narratives is pure poppycock. And what's worse, is that the statistics prove it. But the good part is that you are indeed entertaining. We're all getting a good chuckle...

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 22nd 2018 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

You judge each case on its merits obviously but immigrants cannot and should not be admitted if they are going to be an obvious burden on the social and welfare systems.

If you can't fund your foreign dependents yourself and it's evident that you won't be able to in the long term then you shouldn't be allowed to bring them here. Allowing that kind of thing to happen just fuels anti-immigrant rhetoric.
DG, I wasn't talking about immigrants but the legitimate spouses and dependents of a British citizen. There is no way to determine fairly the "merits" of each case. You may disagree with the UK benefit system ( after living in the USA it makes me appreciate more the British system) but that is different than saying one group of British citizens shouldn't have the same rights of others.

I just find it exceedingly obnoxious that a citizen of a EU country and bring in a non-EU spouse but a UK citizen has to go through more to do the same thing. And the income requirement is above what many people live on.

Maybe when all is looked at the burden of the externalities of immigration on public services is a negative, but penalizing British citizens and their families to me just is wrong.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

This:

https://m.news24.com/Africa/News/ger...-ring-20170912

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...tners-11064688

And this isn't just an isolated case and doesn't just affect the UK either. Germany and Ireland have similar problems with it.

You call it intention. I call it a loophole. The EU immigration system is just fundamentally broken and FoM is largely to blame for that.
I do not know how much abuse there is with "sham" marriages, but I am sure they occur as they do also in the United States, but I would assume such marriages are less of a cost than people using real marriages to access benefits that impose cost at some point. But the problem with sham marriages for immigration purposes I assume was present before the EU and will still be there after Brexit. Am I missing something ?

I have no doubt that to get into the USA, UK or Europe from developing or poorer countries it is not uncommon arranged marriages for just that purpose, to have a better life- and nor do I doubt , as in the USA, people find ways to use the system to their advantage.

How will Brexit result in greater diligence and enforcement to deal with the situation ? Is there some EU law- I admit perhaps I am unaware- that precludes the UK investigating whether someone's papers are in order? I was in Croatia in July, sure I can move, live and work there- but I have to present documentation to do so. Sorry maybe I am missing something.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yet you previously said you don't speak any other languages,
No I didn't. I said I don't speak any other European language. Go back and read it.

The problem with you is that you never actually do that. You just skim the posts of those who tend to disagree with you, make 5 from 2+2 and then post some dimwitted and inflammatory response under the misguided notion that you're being clever.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post

How will Brexit result in greater diligence and enforcement to deal with the situation ?
For one thing it will prevent people from appealing to the ECHR and make deportation cases move much faster.

For another, marrying a Czech, Spaniard, Portuguese, Pole or any other EU nationality while in the UK will not help you to stay here because EEA family visas won't mean exist in the UK after Brexit.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I just find it exceedingly obnoxious that a citizen of a EU country and bring in a non-EU spouse but a UK citizen has to go through more to do the same thing. And the income requirement is above what many people live on.
In that I completely agree with you. I would personally hope that after Brexit we can look at similar countries like Canada and Australia in particular and see how they handle spousal sponsorship and how that might help British processes to improve.

I guess the key spanner in the works is that we are a nation obsessed with and far too reliant on social welfare systems. Both of that countries have a sizable welfare state but they are a far cry away from, and arguably far more sensible than, ours.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Oh, and by the way, I was stationed in Tokyo for 2 years. Had an apartment in Akihabara. I don't pretend to speak Japanese, though.
Stationed with who? To my knowledge the UK has no formal military presence in Japan.

Incidentally I don't pretend to know the language either. If I was just pretending then my partner's family wouldn't be able to understand anything I said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.