Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It's a few unaccompanied minors and some refugees with family already in the UK and who, under the existing agreements, the UK had already signed up to accepting.
That's a few too many. Britain doesn't need more helpless mouths to feed and the current government promised to reduce immigration so this flies in the face of their promises to the electorate.

It's not looking too good for you at the moment though, is it? What with that and Boris angling to divert the promised NHS money to a vanity project which'll provide another gaping hole for the migrants to penetrate, plus UKIP in tatters
You've picked the wrong guy there. I've said for many years that the NHS in its current form needs to go and Britain needs massive reform of its public healthcare system, ideally with a move to model closer to that of Canada, Japan or Germany.

The extra funding promises made in the run up to the referendum always just sounded like piss and wind to me and nobody at the time was in a position to make them. I voted leave to get remove Britain from the EU Freedom of Movement system, nothing more, nothing less.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
None of which does anything to detract from my point. I didn't say Microsoft were nice people.

I have just offered you the evidence that no country is trying very hard to remove it's undocumented population. More than once, in fact. It is now up to you to offer evidence to the contrary. So far, you have pointed to a handful of deportations, thereby exactly supporting my point.
I'm afraid you haven't offered any evidence of that whatsoever. A country having limited resources and being forced to deal with international bureaucracy is not really evidence.

As the recent publicised deportations in the US have proven, they will remove at least some people eventually even if it takes 20 or 30 years.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:34 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Don't even get me started on that one. I told myself that my voting Tory last year was a one off but I sure as shit won't ever be doing it again after the sucking up they did to the French yesterday. I'm surprised they didn't go the whole way and just offer up Kent as some sort of French enclave.
As opposed to using the Pas de Calais as some sort of UK enclave.

Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post

https://youtu.be/tWSr1Aw0EBA
I doubt we'd want it gift wrapped tbh although some of their wine warehouses could be useful.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:51 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

That's a few too many. Britain doesn't need more helpless mouths to feed and the current government promised to reduce immigration so this flies in the face of their promises to the electorate.
I tell you what is a bit much and that's the UK signing agreements it has absolutely no intention of sticking by when the headlines get a bit rough.

Good to see Corbyn was way ahead of the curve on this - visiting the camps at Calais and finding out the issues while May was trying on clothes and batting off invitations for public speaking engagements.

She berates Corbyn about wanting to let everone in, drags her shiny new heels for months on end but eventually the camps are removed and some sort of compromise as outlined by Corbyn yonks ago finally gets agreed to by her.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:54 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
https://youtu.be/tWSr1Aw0EBA
... Or we could just combine them.... & maybe call it a part of the ...errm EU?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:57 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Bingo!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:58 pm
Sidecar Falcon

She berates Corbyn about wanting to let everone in, drags her shiny new heels for months on end but eventually the camps are removed and some sort of compromise as outlined by Corbyn yonks ago finally gets agreed to by her.
Yep, don't disagree with any of this. There's essentially no British politician at the moment who isn't an arsehole.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:20 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, don't disagree with any of this. There's essentially no British politician at the moment who isn't an arsehole.
I can't help but feeling you have a personal problem with France ? Wanna talk about it ?
If not, leave it alone. It is NOT your country and NOT your problem End of.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
I can't help but feeling you have a personal problem with France ? Wanna talk about it ?
It becomes my problem when they don't police their borders properly and then my tax money has to be invested in protecting Britain from the people they couldn't be arsed to keep out of their country in the first place.

I'll think you'll find it isn't just me who has a problem with France though.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:29 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn't need to provide evidence for things that are basically common sense but here you go:
Thanks. But be careful when presuming something is common sense, it isn't always.

50 facts we all know (which aren't actually true)

Since when have refugees been counted in the immigration stats? And it appears you're advocating leaving children to fend for themselves instead of being helped to become decent tax-paying adults in the future.

You've picked the wrong guy there. I've said for many years that the NHS in its current form needs to go and Britain needs massive reform of its public healthcare system, ideally with a move to model closer to that of Canada, Japan or Germany.
It's a good job you're moving to one of these healthcare paradises, isn't it. Though the one you chose doesn't actually provide the healthcare at Federal level. Canadian healthcare is the responsibility of the Provinces.

The extra funding promises made in the run up to the referendum always just sounded like piss and wind to me and nobody at the time was in a position to make them. I voted leave to get remove Britain from the EU Freedom of Movement system, nothing more, nothing less.
They were piss and wind, and Remain voters tried explaining it to Leave voters, and were told we were spreading Project Fear. But many voters believe the bus lie, and even though many won't get what they voted for, Leave means Leave, right?

And the UK could have negotiated more concessions from the EU had it remained, Cameron having got most of the concessions he asked for prior to calling the referendum. But it wasn't enough for the hard-core Tories.

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Non, nein, Nee! The UK will only accept such a group if it has Britain (or British) in it's name and doen't mention European.....
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Since when have refugees been counted in the immigration stats?
If they're not already then they damn well should be.

And it appears you're advocating leaving children to fend for themselves instead of being helped to become decent tax-paying adults in the future.
Those individuals passed through multiple safe countries before making it anywhere close to Northern France. If they weren't economic migrants then they could have just made a refugee claim in any one of those countries, preferably the first one they got to. Claiming that you're fleeing from danger or persecution does not allow you to cherry pick which country you would ideally like to live in.

And as last year's attack in Manchester and similar attacks across Europe proved, there is absolutely no guarantee that any refugee or their offspring will benefit the general British population. In fact they could prove to be quite the opposite.

It's a good job you're moving to one of these healthcare paradises, isn't it. Though the one you chose doesn't actually provide the healthcare at Federal level. Canadian healthcare is the responsibility of the Provinces.
I know, I used to have an OHIP card. Paint it however you like though, the Canadian system still far more sense than the current NHS model.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:47 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Then why bother voting? I can think of a few decent politicians who are worth supporting, and I'm a Green Party member.

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
It looks like the common problem of running everyone else down to make oneself feel superior.

It becomes my problem when they don't police their borders properly and then my tax money has to be invested in protecting Britain from the people they couldn't be arsed to keep out of their country in the first place.
Britain can be protected within it's own borders. We don't need to be in French ports to do so.

But it's not that France 'can't be arsed', EU law allows free movement of vehicles, and even if it didn't, how much time, disruption to trade, and cost would it be to check every vehicle passing through any border crossing for stowaways?

I'll think you'll find it isn't just me who has a problem with France though.
Actually, France isn't the problem. The average French person is a decent person with the same problems most of us have. Your issue is solely with French government policies and their implementation, which is not the same thing.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 19th 2018 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

And it appears you're advocating leaving children to fend for themselves instead of being helped to become decent tax-paying adults in the future.
I think you will find it is the parents who have left their children to fend for themselves, the same parents who will probably claim refuge in the country of their offspring at a later date. A distasteful situation and one that will continue as long as those such as yourself support it. As for helping them to become tax-paying adults in the future, don’t you think we have enough of those, and if we want more we can pick and choose as and when we have the resources for them? The things you people come out with.

I thought I would dip my toes in the waters here but don’t you think immigration has been done to death? Everyone has their view and no one will change.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
I think you will find it is the parents who have left their children to fend for themselves, the same parents who will probably claim refuge in the country of their offspring at a later date. A distasteful situation and one that will continue as long as those such as yourself support it. As for helping them to become tax-paying adults in the future, don’t you think we have enough of those, and if we want more we can pick and choose as and when we have the resources for them? The things you people come out with.

I thought I would dip my toes in the waters here but don’t you think immigration has been done to death? Everyone has their view and no one will change.
I think you will find that your moral high horse is standing on very shaky ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.