Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:10 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I know that. In fact I provided evidence to prove that to someone else on here recently.

Mexico is still the main transit route for illegal entry into the US though is it not. America has its airports pretty much locked down at this point but people from all over the world have transited in through Mexico. You can even find warnings written in Chinese along the border in some states.
And Canada... No wall, no barrier. But it's mostly white people up there, so no worries. Canadians, however have mentioned building a wall to keep the yanks out.

Come to think of it, shouldn't the EU be building a wall across the Med (or at least dreaming of it)? It's such a trendy thing nowadays, and Europe wouldn't want to been seen as "backward", like some other recent trajectories.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:11 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
FIFY Mare Nostrum was run from the COI at Centocelle with TACON TO HQ Navy.
Quite right too, thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:16 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Quite right too, thanks!
no worries
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:17 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
But you still haven't answered the question as to which country is just rounding up its undocumented immigrants, "processing them", and deporting them as you stated is done. Certainly the US deports some, but then so do the UK and France. Example, please, of a country that actually is deporting in the way you stated?

You are also not clear on how people become illegal immigrants in the US. Despite your image of "locked down" airports and bad hombres crossing deserts and rivers at night, more than half of the immigrants acquiring "illegal status" in the US, at least since 2007 when this research was done, arrived perfectly legally, largely through airports, on perfectly legal, fully-processed visas. In 2014, these people represented two thirds of those who acquired "illegal" status when their visas expired but they didn't leave.

The 2,000 Mile Wall in Search of a Purpose: Since 2007 Visa Overstays have Outnumbered Undocumented Border Crossers by a Half Million - The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS)
I don't think I've ever said that other countries are rounding up, processing and removing all of their illegal residents. The key problem here is that I don't know of any country outside of Europe that follows the French model of picking people up from the UKVI agents at Calais and then nonchalantly dropping them off down the road.

It is very, very difficult for any country to rid itself of illegal immigration completely. Even Japan, a country that imposes criminal punishments including prison terms for illegal residence, can't manage it and has actually seen illegal immigration levels increase in some parts of the country.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.WmHhPahl8uU

The information you've posted regarding overstayers in America is interesting tbh. I never would have thought overstaying in the US would be that simple or popular, particularly since they record biometric data from every foreigner (Canadians excluded) so just destroying your papers and pretending to be someone else when you get caught isn't really ever going to work.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
And Canada... No wall, no barrier. But it's mostly white people up there, so no worries.
Depends on the part of Canada you're referring to but in many larger cities that isn't really the case anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...#Ethnic_origin

Keep in mind that Canada will allow people to self-identify their ethnicity on official forms as they see fit so you can be of any race or ethnic grouping and still identify yourself as "Canadian" (principally because outside of the actual native population, there isn't really any such thing).
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:43 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
No use being a politician unless you have a substantial catchment area to preside over.
In other news Boris proposes a bridge over La Manche. That'll please the brexiteers!
& you can see why he's suggested it.
Post 2019 Old Slimy needs a totem to show clear water from the swivel-eyed-loons currently in charge (Plus help little-brother up the greasy-pole). I suspect that even now he's packing his off-shore-non-taxed-ministerial-blind-trust baggage ready for his jump.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
& you can see why he's suggested it.
Post 2019 Old Slimy needs a totem to show clear water from the swivel-eyed-loons currently in charge (Plus help little-brother up the greasy-pole). I suspect that even now he's packing his off-shore-non-taxed-ministerial-blind-trust baggage ready for his jump.
At the moment I'm not sure if the country would elect him or not. For definite the Tories will never let May run again though. They don't really have anybody else right now otherwise they'd likely have ditched her already.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:48 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The key problem here is that I don't know of any country outside of Europe that follows the French model of picking people up from the UKVI agents at Calais and then nonchalantly dropping them off down the road.
Don't worry, a solution's been found.

The Brits have agreed to accept some more and the French have promised to fast track them.

Farage is fuming.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:48 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
yes and Mare Nostrum, literally Our Seas, was an Italian national operation nothing to do with EU.
& 100% accurate.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Don't worry, a solution's been found.

The Brits have agreed to accept some more and the French have promised to fast track them.
Don't even get me started on that one. I told myself that my voting Tory last year was a one off but I sure as shit won't ever be doing it again after the sucking up they did to the French yesterday. I'm surprised they didn't go the whole way and just offer up Kent as some sort of French enclave.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever said that other countries are rounding up, processing and removing all of their illegal residents. The key problem here is that I don't know of any country outside of Europe that follows the French model of picking people up from the UKVI agents at Calais and then nonchalantly dropping them off down the road.

It is very, very difficult for any country to rid itself of illegal immigration completely. Even Japan, a country that imposes criminal punishments including prison terms for illegal residence, can't manage it and has actually seen illegal immigration levels increase in some parts of the country.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.WmHhPahl8uU

The information you've posted regarding overstayers in America is interesting tbh. I never would have thought overstaying in the US would be that simple or popular, particularly since they record biometric data from every foreigner (Canadians excluded) so just destroying your papers and pretending to be someone else when you get caught isn't really ever going to work.
Well, you've now narrowed down your statement to one specific action by one country and sidestepped your statement that everywhere else people are simply rounded up and deported - because that is clearly not the case.

As for your second paragraph, I don't know, and nor do you, that they are "pretending to be someone else". As I said, no country is trying very hard to deport those there without permission. Why is that? They are employed and contribute hugely to the national economy. There is no support except from right-wing fringe groups for teams of armed, uniformed people banging on doors in the night, nor any interest from business either. In fact, a little googling will show you that groups representing business interests are the major lobbiers for an amnesty. Microsoft alone has spent millions on the legislative efforts. That should tell you a little bit about how important "illegals" are to the economy and how much prosperity and profitability are due to them. The political posturing around the deportation of a few is a manipulative stunt for political gain using fears, prejudices, and the uninformed.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 19th 2018 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

As I said, no country is trying very hard to deport those there without permission. Why is that? They are employed and contribute hugely to the national economy.
I'm afraid you would have to prove both of those statements since they're a bit bold really and I'm not sure regarding the accuracy of either one of them.

The UK has taken efforts on several occasions such as random spot checks at train stations and the posters offering support for people to give up an illegal life and go home. The problem is that the left are so manic and vocal in this country that those campaigns are usually abandoned before they can make any real progress.

Microsoft have been accused of abusing H1-B for years so them lobbying against tightening immigration in the US does not surprise me at all. They get around much of it these days by outsourcing a lot of software engineering and testing work to Indian firms and the likes of Lionbridge so the negative press gets deflected onto them. It's not just immigration laws that they try to flout either.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...0-workers.html
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:13 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even get me started on that one. I told myself that my voting Tory last year was a one off but I sure as shit won't ever be doing it again after the sucking up they did to the French yesterday. I'm surprised they didn't go the whole way and just offer up Kent as some sort of French enclave.
It's a few unaccompanied minors and some refugees with family already in the UK and who, under the existing agreements, the UK had already signed up to accepting.

It's not looking too good for you at the moment though, is it? What with that and Boris angling to divert the promised NHS money to a vanity project which'll provide another gaping hole for the migrants to penetrate, plus UKIP in tatters. Who're you going to turn to next?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:14 pm
Who - me?

Well, you've now narrowed down your statement to one specific action by one country and sidestepped your statement that everywhere else people are simply rounded up and deported - because that is clearly not the case.

As for your second paragraph, I don't know, and nor do you, that they are "pretending to be someone else". As I said, no country is trying very hard to deport those there without permission. Why is that? They are employed and contribute hugely to the national economy. There is no support except from right-wing fringe groups for teams of armed, uniformed people banging on doors in the night, nor any interest from business either. In fact, a little googling will show you that groups representing business interests are the major lobbiers for an amnesty. Microsoft alone has spent millions on the legislative efforts. That should tell you a little bit about how important "illegals" are to the economy and how much prosperity and profitability are due to them. The political posturing around the deportation of a few is a manipulative stunt for political gain using fears, prejudices, and the uninformed.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid you would have to prove both of those statements since they're a bit bold really and I'm not sure regarding the accuracy of either one of them.

The UK has taken efforts on several occasions such as random spot checks at train stations and the posters offering support for people to give up an illegal life and go home. The problem is that the left are so manic and vocal in this country that those campaigns are usually abandoned before they can make any real progress.

Microsoft have been accused of abusing H1-B for years so them lobbying against tightening immigration in the US does not surprise me at all. They get around much of it these days by outsourcing a lot of software engineering and testing work to Indian firms and the likes of Lionbridge so the negative press gets deflected onto them. It's not just immigration laws that they try to flout either.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...0-workers.html
None of which does anything to detract from my point. I didn't say Microsoft were nice people.

I have just offered you the evidence that no country is trying very hard to remove it's undocumented population. More than once, in fact. It is now up to you to offer evidence to the contrary. So far, you have pointed to a handful of deportations, thereby exactly supporting my point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.