British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Jan 18th 2018 11:01 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12422160)
As I said a 'lighter note'.:lol: However surely clothes that are smart and actually fit properly are a good idea?

Gandhi didn't think so....:scarper:

EMR Jan 18th 2018 11:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12422160)
As I said a 'lighter note'.:lol: However surely clothes that are smart and actually fit properly are a good idea?

I wonder where they were made :lol::lol::(.

The root if the discussion today goes back to the obsession some have with immigration and illegal immigration.
Before the popular UK press decided that it was EU migrants who were the root of call evils you do not need to go back too many years to find stories in the same papers about thousands of illegal migrants from India etc
Migrants living in sheds in backgardens being exploited by dodgy landlords. and employers.
.
Post brexit a new target will be found , probably the "vast " numbers finding somehow finding their way into the UK.
Some in the media, in politics thrive of creating myths that appeal to sadly far to many in the UK.

I have just watched QT and for the second week running the the subject that roused most emotion in the audience were the issues in the NHS.
Nurse numbers declining ,Some being EU nationals leaving because of brexit, others because of conditions and poor pay..

Yet our government is focussed on the what's, it's and maybes of brexit and no longer on what really matters on a daily basis to the majority of the population.

amideislas Jan 19th 2018 7:37 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Yet another example of Britain's post-brexit influence slipping away.

Britain’s Blackbelt in EU Law Says Even She Can’t Fight Brexit

A karate black belt and a decade’s worth of experience poring over European Union law may not be enough to help one of Britain’s top EU officials fight her way out of Brexit limbo.

Even though Eleanor Sharpston, one of a handful of legal advisers to the bloc’s highest court, makes her living giving opinions on big cases, she admits to being in the dark about whether she’ll be able to keep her job once Brexit kicks in next year.

...

The European Commission, the EU’s executive authority in Brussels, has by far the biggest number of U.K. staff, about 900 people, including some 90 who work in the authority’s Luxembourg offices. Juncker wrote a letter to his staff the day after the Brexit vote to assure U.K. colleagues “that he will do everything in his power” to help them.


And all this time, I'd been led to believe that the ECJ was a foreign entity imposing its evil will on innocent Brits while prevented from having any influence.

Oh, wait... Further reading reveals these Brits are amongst those "citizens of nowhere" that Ms. May speaks of. Speakin' commie languages and stuff... Not to mention all edurcated bloody elite know-it-alls.

Like many compatriots, Sharpston feels at home in Luxembourg and doesn’t move in expat circles. She speaks the local language plus French and German and has written court opinions in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.

Expatrick Jan 19th 2018 8:00 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12422192)
Gandhi didn't think so....:scarper:

:rofl:

Expatrick Jan 19th 2018 8:03 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Post brexit a new target will be found,
Already found, "remoaners", a term that sound like it belongs back in the 17th century, which given it's proponents sounds about right.

007Steve Jan 19th 2018 9:13 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12422193)
..........

The root if the discussion today goes back to the obsession some have with immigration and illegal immigration.
Before the popular UK press decided that it was EU migrants who were the root of call evils you do not need to go back too many years to find stories in the same papers about thousands of illegal migrants from India etc
Migrants living in sheds in backgardens being exploited by dodgy landlords. and employers.
Post brexit a new target will be found , probably the "vast " numbers finding somehow finding their way into the UK.
...................

:nod: :nod: :nod: I suspect your point is closer to home EMR - in fact in the mirror's reflection.
If the EU hadn't existed, and Europe was still 27 self-contained states each with its own little-tin-god in charge, the process that is free-movement would still have occurred. It's a natural development of rapid technical progress - imo. Only those who can't or won't understand history rail against it, and WILL be swept away.
In short the new target, imo, will be ex-pats & 'freepersons'... those who stay on, or as a lifestyle/ career path move between the states like the freeman of olden days. On that basis brexit is totally irrelevant (save for one miserable & bitter little nation on the north-west of the continent).
....Come to think of it - why have states??? - who says they're essential to existance or necessary? What unique services do they provide that can't be provided by mobile administration? What's their purpose?
.... You see? - Once these questions begin to get asked, these fossilised
'nation-state' arguments are exposed for what they are - artificial peace-time population control measures.

Expatrick Jan 19th 2018 9:32 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
No use being a politician unless you have a substantial catchment area to preside over.

In other news Boris proposes a bridge over La Manche. That'll please the brexiteers!

Garbatellamike Jan 19th 2018 9:37 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12422387)
No use being a politician unless you have a substantial catchment area to preside over.

In other news Boris proposes a bridge over La Manche. That'll please the brexiteers!

did he not also propose a ridiculously expensive bridge in London?

That particular bufoon seems to have a bridge fixation or perhaps a friend who has a bridge building company???

Expatrick Jan 19th 2018 9:38 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12422388)
did he not also propose a ridiculously expensive bridge in London?

That particular bufoon seems to have a bridge fixation or perhaps a friend who has a bridge building company???

Not to mention airports!

DaveLovesDee Jan 19th 2018 9:39 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12422388)
perhaps a friend who has a bridge building company???

Carillion? :p

Garbatellamike Jan 19th 2018 9:39 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12422389)
Not to mention airports!

yeah must have shares in a construction firm?

Garbatellamike Jan 19th 2018 9:39 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12422390)
Carillion? :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

how much is that? ;)

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2018 9:44 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12422022)

What you're witnessing there is nothing short of an invasion. There's no other word in English to describe it.

Expatrick Jan 19th 2018 9:45 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12422392)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

how much is that? ;)

Eleventy none illions.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2018 9:48 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12421981)

I would also remind you that undocumented immigrants in the US do not only come from Mexico.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...on-in-the-u-s/

I know that. In fact I provided evidence to prove that to someone else on here recently.

Mexico is still the main transit route for illegal entry into the US though is it not. America has its airports pretty much locked down at this point but people from all over the world have transited in through Mexico. You can even find warnings written in Chinese along the border in some states.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:10 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.